Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cherry Blossom Tree Root lengths?

Options
  • 13-09-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

We have a couple of very mature Cherry Blossom trees in our garden.I would guess they are well over 20 years old. Has anyone any idea how many feet the roots grow outwards on these trees on average. One of our ours has a root that has travelled at least 12 feet and is under our driveway for sure without causing any cracks so far. Another 5 of 6 feet and it would be up to the garage.

Reason for checking is whether I should cut it down or not. Any advice appreciated...thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've a Cherry Blossom outside the house and I regularly get shoots from it in the garden. The shoots can be up to 5/6m from the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

thanks. that sounds like the roots could spread up to 20 feet at least. that would put this particular root under my garage. looks like I might cut it down. the missus won't like that as we usually stick the christmas lights on it!

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Why would you cut it down ?

If every tree that grew within 20 feet of a building was felled we would have a lot of bare gardens.

The problem is that 20 feet would put the root in question under the front of the garage and there are some cracks in the driveway,which whilst not lifting the concrete are probably being caused by one particular root. I can see this root which was initially visible overground, when digging the garden border and it continues under the concrete.

t doesn't look massively thick but nevertheless you wouldn't do much to it with a spade!

Actually,a friend mentioned that even if you cut the tree down the roots continue growing-interesting.

Anyone offer a solution that may not involve cutting tree down?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

If you only have one or two Main roots growing under the paved area Prune them Hard and try insert a root barrier (Sheet of Al inserted 1-2 feet under the soil) between the tree and the paved area...

Roots will always follow where there is Water...And water will always be found under Foundations Walls paving etc

• Advertisement

jezko wrote: »
    If you only have one or two Main roots growing under the paved area Prune them Hard and try insert a root barrier (Sheet of Al inserted 1-2 feet under the soil) between the tree and the paved area...

Roots will always follow where there is Water...And water will always be found under Foundations Walls paving etc

I can see one root which has gone under the paved area. Do you mean try and severe this root at the point where it disappears? I think the most I could do with this root would be to make some indentations in it.

thanks

Widescreen wrote: »
    I can see one root which has gone under the paved area. Do you mean try and severe this root at the point where it disappears? I think the most I could do with this root would be to make some indentations in it.

thanks

How close is the trees to your paving?
    If it's only one Root you do not need to Cut down the whole Tree Just Cut the Trouble Roots
    Do you have access to an old Axe? it doesn't need to be sharp (but it is better for a cleaner cut) to cut thru a root no matter how thick it is
    How did you intent to cut down these Trees? Hire someone?

jezko wrote: »
    How close is the trees to your paving?
    If it's only one Root you do not need to Cut down the whole Tree Just Cut the Trouble Roots
    Do you have access to an old Axe? it doesn't need to be sharp (but it is better for a cleaner cut) to cut thru a root no matter how thick it is
    How did you intent to cut down these Trees? Hire someone?

The tree is about 10-12 feet from the paved area. I think I have an axe alright but if you cut through a root are you not going to destabilize the tree eventually?

Only one tree is a problem, the other one is a good 3 yards further back than the other one.

Widescreen wrote: »
    The tree is about 10-12 feet from the paved area. I think I have an axe alright but if you cut through a root are you not going to destabilize the tree eventually?

Only one tree is a problem, the other one is a good 3 yards further back than the other one.

If you allow 8 -10 feet of root remaining on the tree i doubt it will become unstable it will have other roots to keep it stable and get nutrients

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

from BBC gardening website...

Bill Buckley asks...

There is a spring flowering cherry in the garden next door to us. It is over 25 foot high and is some 8 foot from the wall of our house. The roots have already caused the paving on our side path to lift. I am concerned about how it might affect or be affecting the foundations of our house. I would be grateful if you could say if it is likely to cause damage to the foundations.

Bill replies...

Having a 25 foot high Cherry Tree eight feet away from your house is quite close Bill and as you mention Cherries do produce quite a number of large surface roots which, will lift paving stones etc. Regarding the foundations of your house you will usually find that during a dry summer the roots of the Cherry will be searching for water and this is when they take available moisture from around the foundations and below the foundations and this is when problems can arise. I feel that you need to get a second opinion from a Tree Surgeon but, I personally, would be quite worried having a tree so close to the house wall.

• Advertisement

thanks for info. our tree is around 20 feet from the house,half way down garden and I can just see one root(not overly thick)disappearing under the drive. that point is about 8-10 feet from house and 10 feet out from the tree so I am just trying to establish if cutting the root will de stabilise the tree and one previous poster says it wouldn't.

I think I will cut the root at some stage and put up a barrier -other than cutting it down(which we dont want to do)I cant think of anything else ...

Advertisement