Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marshall TSL 122 blowing fuses

• 13-09-2010 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭

I am just looking for some help on this. Im taking a look at a friends TSL combo. It died on him a few months ago. And i said is take a quick look at it for him. The main fuse 2A is blowing constantly. I have replaced it a few times. but every time i hit the main switch it dies. I tried it without the tubes and the same result. any ideas what it could be? I'm starting to think it could be the mains traffo. I thought this would be the place to ask. Any help at all would be great. If i can't diagnose it, ill have to make contact with an amp tech in cork or dublin. so if any one has any names that would be great also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭balducci

Hi, you are probably using a standard type of fuse which is known as a 'quick blow' fuse. you need to make sure you are putting in a 'slow blow' fuse. you probably won't find these in an electrical store but ebay has plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭funkydunkey

i should maybe have said that i was using time-lag fuses.
    ps. they can be got fairly cheap from the likes of Kelliher Elec and Demesne, both wholesalers.

Anyone have any idea what kind of resistance I should be seeing across the traffo? It doesn't appear to have any obvious marks etc on it. that's not saying it isn't toast of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Transformer wiring:-
    http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/tl10-63-02.pdf
    The primary is 2x117v in series, measure each one, they should be he same

Chassis wiring:-
    http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/tl10-60-02.pdf
    the standy switch will isolate the ht side from the transformer,
    disconnect one side of the heaters
    if the fuse still blows, it can only be transformer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭funkydunkey

ok, so it looks like the traffo is gone. it was a dagnall, i looked into getting a replacement but all reviews are pointing in the direction of a Drake or Hammond instead of a direct replacement. any idea where i'd pick one up, any where in ireland do them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

ok, so it looks like the traffo is gone. it was a dagnall, i looked into getting a replacement but all reviews are pointing in the direction of a Drake or Hammond instead of a direct replacement. any idea where i'd pick one up, any where in ireland do them?

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_info.php?products_id=127

This may help you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

Firstly, for everyone on the forum in general.

If a fuse blows a second time STOP PUTTING FUSES BACK IN, you can do even more damage that way.
    We had a guy here who did just that a few weeks back, and did even more damage on his amp.

Why do you think the traffo is gone? What measurements have you made?
    It's an expensive fix and it's not a common failure.

Likely and common causes for the mains fuse blowing are
    ac wiring short
    rectifier failure
    failing filter cap
    failing power valves, though I'd expect the HT fuse to go first in this case

Have you checked these?

Personally I would check these over and over, and then test the PT thoroughly and only then decide on replacing it.

Advertisement