Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Old OZ tax back qeustion!

Options
  • 13-09-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hello Everyone!
    I am back in Ireland having lived and worked in Oz for the past year.I was on a working holiday visa for this period. Last year I successfully claimed my tax back via etax 2008/2009.
    However today I began my claim for 2009/2010 on etax. During this period I paid $3000. However in the summary it said I was only entitled to $1700 back.
    Surely if Im irish and was on a working holiday visa I would be entitled for the whole lot back...? Im a bit confused.
    or are there any other claims or deductions I could do on etax only without having recipts!
    Thanks in advance
    Laura G:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Laura Gaf wrote: »
    Hello Everyone!
    I am back in Ireland having lived and worked in Oz for the past year.I was on a working holiday visa for this period. Last year I successfully claimed my tax back via etax 2008/2009.
    However today I began my claim for 2009/2010 on etax. During this period I paid $3000. However in the summary it said I was only entitled to $1700 back.
    Surely if Im irish and was on a working holiday visa I would be entitled for the whole lot back...? Im a bit confused.
    or are there any other claims or deductions I could do on etax only without having recipts!
    Thanks in advance
    Laura G:)

Why would you figure that? There is no such rule (quiet the opposite in fact)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

I haven't gotten round to doing my return yet and it varies a lot what people say you can expect to get back. Does anyone know how it works, excluding receipts and what can be claimed back. Can I expect a fair bit of my tax back on a whv given i paid $11k or thereabout. Is it a certain percentage of the first x thousand dollars and a lower percentage after that or what?
    cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Why would you expect all your tax returned? You lived in the country & used the services provided by tax payers while earning money. Why would you not be liable to pay for your share?

I lived and worked in Ireland for four years. I do not expect to have my tax returned now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

CabanSail wrote: »
    Why would you expect all your tax returned? You lived in the country & used the services provided by tax payers while earning money. Why would you not be liable to pay for your share?

I lived and worked in Ireland for four years. I do not expect to have my tax returned now.

How about just answering the lads question?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The way the Income Tax System works here is that the tax is removed when you are paid assuming that what you get each week will be the same for the year. If that varies or you do not work the whole year (1st July - 30th June) then the amount of tax taken may not be correct. You are also required to pay tax on other income, like interest earned on bank accounts and shares. You can claim back for deductible items like fees for your Tax Return and costs involved in earning a living.

The first tax year you were here you may have earned less than the threshold for taxation and so had what you paid returned. The next year you must have earned more than that but have still not worked the full year and so are due a partial refund.

If your stay is for a Calander Year then you split your stay in half which maximises the Tax Free Threshold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

thanks for that CabanSail. makes a bit more sense now

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Laura Gaf

Ah I was under a bizarre assumption that I could claim it all back. I think it was said to me by a few other Irish out there.
    I'm back doing it now again and wondering about the "deductions" part. I'm in the architectural and design industry. Can I put in relevant magazines, books and protective clothing (hard hat and boots)? If its under $300 without receipts? and will the cost price of these items be deducted from the amount of tax I've paid?
    It might be a very basic question. But I don't want to f*** it up and end up being audited.
    Oooh also being completely cheeky! I have claimed back my superannuation money and received my check last week. There was 35% witholding tax on the amount I got back. Can I claim this in my tax return? I know it may not be likely but does anyone know if its possible?
    Thanks everyone

You will have to check what items are claimable. You will probably be fine with Industry books & magazine subscriptions. Personal protective equipment & clothing will be fine to claim. You will not get the full amount back, only the tax you paid in the purchase.

AFAIK you cannot claim for the tax on your Super as that is the same as the Income Tax you would have paid on that money.
    Laura Gaf wrote: »
    Ah I was under a bizarre assumption that I could claim it all back. I think it was said to me by a few other Irish out there.

I would be wary of Furphy's without checking them out. You would be best look at the ATO Site to get the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Spirow

Laura - how did you get on in the end? Did you get your tax refund OK?
    Any info you can give would help me out - I have a website and am trying to get all the information people need to file their own tax return without using an agent

http://taxrefundforfree.com.au/?p=15

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

regarding australian tax back, the more you earn the more tax you have to pay, i tink you can earn up to 14,000 dollars tax free, tax rate from 14k to 30k is 15%, after that goes up to 30 and 40 percent etc. , if you're from the republic it might be worth you're while getting a medicare exemption cert and thus not paying the medicare levy if you're above the threshold

• Advertisement
Advertisement