Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Free' ECCE place, not in my case!

Options
  • 13-09-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

My child aged 3 and 8 months has just started Montessori (8.30 - 1.00pm daily). We filled in the ECCE form and appear to have had 2/3rds of the fees paid. We still have to pay E1,150 for the year though.

I am confused! Could anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 witchfinder general

The ECCE pays for 3 hours a day your child attends for longer so you have to pay for the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

So why is it called 'Free'. A little misleading hey?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

It's free as long as specific conditions of time, age and participating pre-school are met. The government scheme runs for three hours a day, mon to fri - outside of those hours you are not in their "free scheme" any more, hence why you have to pay. My wee one was in monti from 9.30-12.30 and we had to pay €60 a month extra for things that the scheme contribution didn't cover - heck of a lot better than the €300 we had been paying but as you say, not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

You have to be able to to access the free ECCE scheme, any additional fees should be voluntary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

My youngest has just started her free year. We now pay €10 per week as she has an extra half hour per day, the playschool does allow people to collect their children 30mns earlier if they do not want to pay anything but honestly Id rather her stay with her friends for the whole session.

It is understandable, I mean some playschools could take advantage if it was just a flat out free year, the government has to have guidlines to ensure that the scheme works and honestly cutting the price down to just €10 a week suits us just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

lynski wrote: »
    You have to be able to to access the free ECCE scheme, any additional fees should be voluntary.

The first 3 hours are free.

Your facility can ask you for a voluntary donation for additional activies during these 3 hours the payment is VOLUNTARY.

If you have been told you must pay an addtional cost for the 3 hours - contact your local County Childcare Committee immediatley.

Anything over 3 hours will have to be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My guy goes from 9-12 or from 12.15 to 3.15

3 hours a day 5 days a week but is also seasonal, which means he has the same school holidays that kids at achool get.

You should look into only sending him/her for hours that apply to free ecce. If you have to send him/her from 8.30-1.00, (5 days a week )because you are working or unavailable then you have to pay the extra.

Advertisement