Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop cats pooing in my garden?

Options
  • 13-09-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, I can't find a similar post - although I presume this has been covered before.
    So I cleared a space in my garden where there used to be shrubs, small trees etc. and put down peat moss type stuff and planted a few little plants/flowers. Now... the bloomin cats think its their new cat litter. I used two canisters of pepper - but they're still sh!tting there.
    I even, drastically, got my son to pee in a bottle and sprinkled that over the area (someone told me that cats won't soil where human pee is as they don't like or can't figure out the smell) - that failed too.
    Came home from work today to see two more little piles of cat sh!t for me!
    I'm furious.
    Any tips greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Try peeling a few oranges and lemons and leaving the skins scattered around where the cats are fouling your garden. We did it to keep my dog out of the flower beds before, it was about 15 years ago, but as far as I remember it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

K4 wrote: »
    Hi, I can't find a similar post - although I presume this has been covered before.
    So I cleared a space in my garden where there used to be shrubs, small trees etc. and put down peat moss type stuff and planted a few little plants/flowers. Now... the bloomin cats think its their new cat litter. I used two canisters of pepper - but they're still sh!tting there.
    I even, drastically, got my son to pee in a bottle and sprinkled that over the area (someone told me that cats won't soil where human pee is as they don't like or can't figure out the smell) - that failed too.
    Came home from work today to see two more little piles of cat sh!t for me!
    I'm furious.
    Any tips greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Are they your cats? If not I reckon turning a hose on them if you see them in the garden. They will get the message they are not wanted pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Make a scarecrow out of a hoover. Works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 K4

No, its not my cat. I know who's cat it is though and as soon as I actually catch it in the act I'm marching straight over to tell her to clean up my flowerbed of her cat's sh!t...
    None today but I reckon that's because the area is really soaked from the rain.
    This same cat has been in people's houses, just walks in and heads up the stairs. One neighbour even found him asleep on her bed! Imagine!
    I'll try the orange and lemon peel. Thanks for that tip.

builttospill - scarecrow out of a hoover.... not sure if I am picturing that right - what I am picturing in my head would look terribly ugly in my front garden!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Truff Puff

Cruel comment removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Truff Puff

Snip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

You know those 2 litre plastic bottles that fizzy drink come in. Fill a couple with water and leave them lying around the area you don't want the cats coming near.

No idea why or how this works, but have been told by loads of people it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Darlughda wrote: »
    You know those 2 litre plastic bottles that fizzy drink come in. Fill a couple with water and leave them lying around the area you don't want the cats coming near.

Leave a dish of fresh water on the spot that the cat uses, they don't soil near fresh water. Or try rattling a metal spoon in a pot when he comes over, a few good scares like that will put him off. Please don't go rushing over to your neighbour though, you'll only make an enemy of them and make yourself look foolish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

Darlughda wrote: »

Exactly what I was going to suggest and not cruel either! Unlike some suggestions! :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

K4 wrote: »
    ... This same cat has been in people's houses, just walks in and heads up the stairs. One neighbour even found him asleep on her bed! Imagine! ...
    Well Holy God, imagine that now Biddy, a cat that walks in through open doors and climbs through open windows. Doesn't that bate Bannagher.

If you know anyone who'll be in or around the zoological gardens, ask them to pop into the (maybe "over to" is better than "into" :o) lion enclosure and ask the keepers nicely for some lion poo. Place said poo in close proximity to Mr. Pussy's outdoor jacks and I guarantee you you won't see his heels for dust. Guaranteed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Truff Puff Ive removed your suggestion.

Suggesting cruel practices is against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Poochie05

mathepac wrote: »
    ... If you know anyone who'll be in or around the zoological gardens, ask them to pop into the (maybe "over to" is better than "into" :o) lion enclosure and ask the keepers nicely for some lion poo. Place said poo in close proximity to Mr. Pussy's outdoor jacks and I guarantee you you won't see his heels for dust. Guaranteed.

Not so way out! I've no idea if it works but you can actually buy 'essence of lion' which claims to deter cats - think it's called Silent Roar.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I used the 'Get Off' granule thingies and had no further problems. Have seen it in most hardware/DIY places and some petshops.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My Nanny used both orange peel and bottles to try keep cats out of the garden, the bottles made the place look ugly and the orange peel attracted slugs by the dozen, and neither kept cats off.

I use a supersoaker to get them off my wall.

Many thanks for the suggestions.
    I'll try get the granules in the DIY store, suppose they're pricey!
    In the meantime will try the drinks bottles and fresh water.
    Thanks. I'll let you know if either work.

Advertisement