Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

segway tours

Options
  • 13-09-2010 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

http://www.glidetours.ie/en/segway-tours-docklands-dublin/
    anyone been on these? think the docklands tour is recently added.
    2hrs for €50 is abit steep but i would like to go on them.
    surprised they havent tried to do a stephens green, city center tour (guess they have tried)
    phoneix park or docklands be better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are they legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭BrianJD

I've been on a couple, the first with Disney which really didn't give you much leeway but I also did one throughout Paris which was amazing.

They are fantastic as long as you are allowed to get a bit of speed and 50 euro is not bad. If you've never been on one they are terrific fun and so easy to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Victor wrote: »
    Are they legal?
    well you would thnk so! i mean they have been running a while and are linked with dublin tourism and discover ireland are promoting them!
    BrianJD wrote: »
    I've been on a couple, the first with Disney which really didn't give you much leeway but I also did one throughout Paris which was amazing.

They are fantastic as long as you are allowed to get a bit of speed and 50 euro is not bad. If you've never been on one they are terrific fun and so easy to use.
    yeah id imagine they would be good in other cities alright, i have my concerns about the dublin one though; phoneix park im sure you get up to a resonable speed but is there much of a "tour" to do. The docklands i would guess would be more informative but not much speed allowed. we dont have those big boulevards like paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Victor wrote: »
    Are they legal?

Good question. They are technically a motorised vehicle right? So should require tax and insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Good God, how lazy can people get?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I'd agree with cosmic but for those who want to do it there's a discount voucher card thing in Toss'd in CHQ. Think it's a fiver off.

Even according to the official segway.ie website, there is no exemption for the segway so they have to advise customers that they can only be used on private land and not public streets.

I imagine they are breaking the law, but the law probably does not care because at some point they will probably be re-classified with an exemption removing the need for tax and insurance just like most other EU countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

the segway tours in the phenoix park were first and got a dispensation to allow it,
    seem that another one has been granted for the docklands.

Is the Phoenix park public land or technically private land?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Saruman wrote: »

We'll find out when someone on a segway runs over mary mac in her front garden

• Advertisement

Its is private land, owned by the OPW. There is no right of way.

However, the roads are public roads (roads where you are likely to meet a member of the public) as defined by the road traffic acts and the acts (and the park bye-laws) apply.

So cycle paths then would be private land, but when you get to the end and need to cross the road....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Bambi wrote: »
    We'll find out when someone on a segway runs over mary mac in her front garden

pfft... we're replacing her next year anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Private and that is why the lock the gates once a year to ensure there is no right of way.

So cycle paths then would be private land, but when you get to the end and need to cross the road....
    For the purposed of the RTA "road" includes the roadway, verges, paths, etc., although I suppose its a little undefined when there is no boundary.

Advertisement