Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jack russell dog smelly gas

Options
  • 13-09-2010 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭

what am i doing wrong, my jr cleared the kitchen last night, there was just he and me let there, i had to open windows, cannot beleive such a small dog can be such a stink bomb, as i have always had jack russels, this lad is 11 months oldwhat should i do to make it easier on him, so he will not lose friends over his bodly functions

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What are you feeding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

The first, and main, thing you need to look at is the food you are feeding. It is more than likely when he is eating that is causing his terrible gas. He needs a good quality food appropriate for his needs (ie. small, adult dog). Sometimes, even the best quality food may not agree with him (just down to the dog) so switching to something else of equal quality may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

goat2 wrote: »
    what am i doing wrong, my jr cleared the kitchen last night, there was just he and me let there, i had to open windows, cannot beleive such a small dog can be such a stink bomb, as i have always had jack russels, this lad is 11 months oldwhat should i do to make it easier on him, so he will not lose friends over his bodly functions
    my dog had this problem i changed his food but still smelled soooo bad have you tried feeding less but more often / this worked for as it cut way down on the gas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If your dog has regular smelly gas then you need to look at whats causing it and it always what hes eaten.
    Did he have anything out of the ordinary treat wise? A different food you are feeding etc?

Certain brands of food which are of low quality would cause this so if you let us know what food hes on we might be able to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hmm..it's particularly bad when you take them out in the car...and its raining..and you cant open the windows....:D:D
    My terrier cross was fairly bad too but it's been better lately since she went on all dry food (Royal Canin). I was mixing her RC with wet food, thinking I was making it more interesting and appealing (!) till the vet told me that all I was doing was making her fat.
    Certainly look at what your dog is eating - what goes in must come out:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Jacks can be foul can't they! I have 3 and I agree with previous posters that it is more than likely food. I have found that any food which contains beef seems to cause a huge amount of blinking awful gas and believe me when you have 3 of them all trying to climb on top of you but then stinking you out, it is not pleasant :(

My lot are fed a rice and chicken dried food and none of their treats or snacks contain beef and for us this had worked.

Does his breath smell ok? I have noticed with mine bad breath and bad gas go hand in hand (so to speak ):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Jacks can be foul can't they! I have 3 and I agree with previous posters that it is more than likely food. I have found that any food which contains beef seems to cause a huge amount of blinking awful gas and believe me when you have 3 of them all trying to climb on top of you but then stinking you out, it is not pleasant :(

My lot are fed a rice and chicken dried food and none of their treats or snacks contain beef and for us this had worked.

Does his breath smell ok? I have noticed with mine bad breath and bad gas go hand in hand (so to speak ):D

i agree with the beef now that you mention it, as i have been giving him it for a while, and this has been happining all that time,i am now giving him mashed potatoes with a bit of carrot and chicken, and it has decreased a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

You would really be much better off giving him a good dry dog food as it serves all his nutritional needs and is best of his digestive system. Stick with the good brands you get from the vets or reputable pet shops, not the stuff you can get on the supermarket shelves. It may sound like an additional expense but it does pay dividends as you will have a healthy, happy and well nourished dog:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I presume the same applies to cats??

We got 2 new cats and one of them....well let's just say I've just had to leave the kitchen, I'm feeling a bit sick now:eek:

I'm feeding her a mix of wet and dry cat food. She's also had a long lasting antibiotic to treat cat flu - she's very snuffly - which I'm wondering might be having some effect on her system??Anyway, she's pretty gross...any suggestions?! It truly disgusting, she even hissed at what she'd done herself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Shazanne wrote: »
    You would really be much better off giving him a good dry dog food as it serves all his nutritional needs and is best of his digestive system. Stick with the good brands you get from the vets or reputable pet shops, not the stuff you can get on the supermarket shelves. It may sound like an additional expense but it does pay dividends as you will have a healthy, happy and well nourished dog:)

yes i am going to give much more of the dry food, as it is better for their teeth also, and i will still give the food i make myself, like mashed potatoes with gravy and meat, at least i know what i am giving my pet

• Advertisement
Advertisement