Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folding@Home - Who's using what?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

Gah, just found out the ICT labs at Trinity have got new computers, all with i7 860s with HT.

What I wouldn't give to get them Folding....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Everyone seems to be using i7-860s now! :eek::o:(

LGA1156... so cheaper than i7 920+. Plus, you can go with DDR2, so RAM is a bit cheaper too.

Shame they're all running x32 Win7. doh.gif

zodac wrote: »
    LGA1156... so cheaper than i7 920+. Plus, you can go with DDR2, so RAM is a bit cheaper too.

Don't you mean Dual-Channel DDR3?? :p
    Shame they're all running x32 Win7. doh.gif

:pac:

Solitaire wrote: »
    Don't you mean Dual-Channel DDR3?? :p

ninja.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Just installed the windows SMP client today again. I had it before and it
    went tits up for some reason. This foldathon has motivated me to give the
    latest version a run.

If there is a sudden surge in my folding output, this is why. :)
    This is also combined with the GPU client.

When was the last time you installed it? If it was a long time ago, I'm not certain if you know about bonuses...

Basically, make sure you have a passkey on your client. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Fook!, I don't have a pass key and the WU is at 92% and that is the same
    one that has been going since I posted above!

I assumed a passkey was to stop people folding in your name or something...?

No, they changed the system in January some time; the passkeys are now needed for the SMP client to get bonuses (don't have much use for GPU clients as of yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Heh heh heh......Do I need root for F@H? Cause this baby doesnt get half the workout she deserves:p

Cube.jpg

• Advertisement

Nah, I don't think so. I used sudo for this guide:
    http://www.overclock.net/folding-home-guides-tutorials/741141-ubuntu-setting-up-smp-cpu-client.html

But, you might want to try running the normal Windows SMP client through WINE if possible. There are no -bigadv WUs for Linux at the moment, so if you really wanna make major points, the Windows SMP client is the way to go.

Not that normal SMP isn't awesome. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

"Who's using what?"

I'm using a computer *proud*

;)

I used to fold for TCD, but they're boring.. so now I've switched to Boards :) I'm Jeanius! I won't be winning any contests, but it feels nice to have my laptop doing something proper.

Good choice; we're not boring at all. :D

And it's the participation that counts, not whether you can bring in 50k PPD.

Though that would be awesome.

I can't! :p

Argh!! Just started to get bonuses and I'm promptly poleaxed by a P6701... :rolleyes::(

Yeah, I've got one of those right now... down from 4k to 2.8k PPD. :(

But, it's all science, and it all helps. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Hey zodac, I found a rather useful post on over overclock.net :D

Setup up web monitoring for my PC, not that I really need it as it is not a 24/7 and is only really on when I am in front of it. Page is here.

I have oodles of spare bandwidth for anyone who wants to use it for FAH stuff.

I can't! :p

Argh!! Just started to get bonuses and I'm promptly poleaxed by a P6701... :rolleyes::(

Me too, just got one and running at 20 mins TPF with GPU3 running as well..

...and that makes 5 of the last six 6 WUs I've had are P67-Hos :o:(

C.D. wrote: »
    Hey zodac, I found a rather useful post on over overclock.net :D

Setup up web monitoring for my PC, not that I really need it as it is not a 24/7 and is only really on when I am in front of it. Page is here.

I have oodles of spare bandwidth for anyone who wants to use it for FAH stuff.

Hehe, I wrote that. ;)
    ...and that makes 5 of the last six 6 WUs I've had are P67-Hos :o:(

My last 20 have been 6701s... and they're all for priming some new passkeys too. So sad. :(

Hehe, I wrote that. ;)

I know :). I don't get the Zodac = Matrix = Hayley thing beneath your name though! Lots of very comprehensive guides on there.

• Advertisement

I don't get the Zodac = Matrix = Hayley thing beneath your name though!

Yeah... long story. Long, crazy story. :p
    Lots of very comprehensive guides on there.

Yup, and all of them necessary. Folding can be so awkward sometimes. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Hi there,

I've just started folding for boards.ie, I used to do a bit for overclock.net a long time ago.

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd just ask quickly what is the best set up for my machine?

I have a core i7 920 at 4ghz and an ati 4870x2 card. I'm running windows 7 which I think means I can't utilise the two gpu's in my card.

I've just set up a single smp clients and a single gpu client. Is there much points putting multiple smp clients on this machine? If there is whats the best way to do it so I don't choke off the gpu client?

Cheers,

Wayne.

Hi Wayne. First thing I'll ask is this; do you intend to Fold 24/7, or just part time?

AFAIK use just the one SMP client, and once you've finished your first ten WUs and started earning bonuses change the client by adding the -bigadv flag to the shortcut as once you're earning bonuses bigadv WUs strongly favour machines with six or more logical cores, and your i7 has eight with HT enabled... ;)

No idea why you wouldn't be able to use both GPUs due to OS though :confused:

Hi Wayne. First thing I'll ask is this; do you intend to Fold 24/7, or just part time?

I'll just be folding at weekends on this machine as it's not set up at my home. I'll be folding on a dual core laptop with a gpu during the week.
    No idea why you wouldn't be able to use both GPUs due to OS though confused.gif

I'm not quite sure either, I've only ever got it to work on XP with out using a dummy plug or a 2nd monitor. Might be able to rig a dummy plug at some point though.

In that case, one SMP client, with the -smp flag. Don't add the -bigadv flag later on unless you're able to Fold constantly.

For your GPU, you just need to set up multiple GPU client properly. No need for a dummy plug either; the -forcegpu ati_r700 flag would do the trick. :)

In that case, one SMP client, with the -smp flag. Don't add the -bigadv flag later on unless you're able to Fold constantly.

For your GPU, you just need to set up multiple GPU client properly. No need for a dummy plug either; the -forcegpu ati_r700 flag would do the trick. :)

Ah ok cheers for that! So just to clarify, to set up the multiple gpu clients (I have a single card with two cores) I need to use the above flag, but do I also have to stick on the -gpu 0 and -gpu1 flags for each of the two clients also?

Should hopefully be in a position to fold 24/7 or almost shortly after christmas all things going well.

Correct... the flags should be as follows:

1st GPU client: -gpu 0
    2nd GPU client: -gpu 1 -forcegpu ati_r700

If it doesn't work, you might need to try the console client... but we'll worry about that later. ;)

Correct... the flags should be as follows:

1st GPU client: -gpu 0
    2nd GPU client: -gpu 1 -forcegpu ati_r700

If it doesn't work, you might need to try the console client... but we'll worry about that later. ;)

Great stuff, I'll give that a go now. Thanks for your help guys. I only really use the console clients anyways. I'll post back if any problems occur, but hopefully all should be well. Cheers!

Edit:

It works like a charm! Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Currently I'm folding with a Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz and a GTX260, hoping to upgrade to an i7-950 in the next month or so.

Edit: Here's my live folding stats: http://cianmcgovern.com/folding/ ;)

Advertisement