Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cervelo S1 Bike-to-Work Scheme

• 13-09-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭

All,

Looking for some guidance

I want to get an Cervelo S1 frameset through Bike to work

I see some big differences in just the prices of the frame - but can see it from about 799STG.

Anywhere in ireland that I can get it without being 'taken advantage of'

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I will be mating this with SRAM RED & Mavic Ksyrium SL's

Would appreciate some pointer on who could fit it and build it for me

Many Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You can't buy a frame under the scheme, just a whole bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Someone at work bought a set of wheels on the ctw scheme!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

murph226 wrote: »
    Someone at work bought a set of wheels on the ctw scheme!
    That does not make it legal though.

As el tonto said, it's complete bikes only under the scheme (and they must be new, so you cannot dress a new frame up with used components)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

el tonto wrote: »

You may only buy a complete bicycle under the t&cs ;)

Presumably one could tell the shop to build you a custom spec bike in return for a single payment from you/your employer.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

nereid wrote: »
    You may only buy a complete bicycle under the t&cs ;)

Presumably one could tell the shop to build you a custom spec bike in return for a single payment from you/your employer.
    Yes, if they use new components, and it's a complete, functioning bike (and your intention is to use it mainly for commuting etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

Creative Invoicing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭zorch

Guys,

I dont want to get bogged down in the technicalities

I am obviously buying a complete bike - just in pieces to a spec that I want

Can anyone point me in the direction of a Cervelo dealer that is helpful and reasonable?

Thanks

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

jdt101 wrote: »
    Creative Invoicing.

Which would be tax fraud.

zorch wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a Cervelo dealer that is helpful and reasonable?

Thanks

I've always found Slane in Belfast to be very good. There may be other Cervelo dealers closer to home though.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rubs

Spoke Cycles in Waterford are also a cervelo dealer... website www.spokes.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

nothing says you can't buy a crap frame with good wheels,
    or in this case good frame with crap wheels/components!
    if you then decide to swap around your components, what's the problem? Hardly in the realm of unlawful tax dodging, as long as you are genuinely cycling to work.

longshank wrote: »
    if you then decide to swap around your components, what's the problem? Hardly in the realm of unlawful tax dodging, as long as you are genuinely cycling to work.

Yep, there's no rule against what configuration you choose. You just have to buy a full bike.

As I indicated above, it's complete new bikes. If you buy the bike with the intention of changing the frame, my view is that you are not intending to use the bike to mainly commute - you are actually internding to use a different bike

It may appear pedantic, but it's the law, and breaking this tax law is technically no different from breaking any other tax law.

If, however, you buy a complete bike with good wheels and a crap (but new) frame (and other components) with the intention of mainly using it in that form to cycle to work, that's fine. If you then change your intention after the bike is purchased, that's fine also under the tax law (although your employer could impose stricter conditions, should they wish)

Beasty wrote: »
    As I indicated above, it's complete new bikes. If you buy the bike with the intention of changing the frame, my view is that you are not intending to use the bike to mainly commute - you are actually internding to use a different bike

It may appear pedantic, but it's the law, and breaking this tax law is technically no different from breaking any other tax law.

If, however, you buy a complete bike with good wheels and a crap (but new) frame (and other components) with the intention of mainly using it in that form to cycle to work, that's fine. If you then change your intention after the bike is purchased, that's fine also under the tax law (although your employer could impose stricter conditions, should they wish)

what constitutes a bike? the frame? the wheels? the components? the whole lot? If you buy the bike with the intention of changing the saddle are you also breaking the law?
    Also proving "intention" in this case would be interesting!
    I can't see anyone being prosecuted for buying bikes or components of whatever combination under this scheme. Buying lawnmowers however is another story!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

Government cannot even run the country, so policing the BTW scheme is totally out of the question!!!

Will there be garda checkpoints for bikes?

"Can I see your BTW documentation?"

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

hmmm. tangentially then I've spotted a couple of bikes for sale recently that have been bought on the Bike-to-work scheme...say for instance a wealthy individual purchases a bike for €1000, gets the tax break/incentive or whatever it's called of €400 and then sells the bike 'never ridden bought a month ago' for 800...

How do you feel about that?

poochiem wrote: »
    hmmm. tangentially then I've spotted a couple of bikes for sale recently that have been bought on the Bike-to-work scheme...say for instance a wealthy individual purchases a bike for €1000, gets the tax break/incentive or whatever it's called of €400 and then sells the bike 'never ridden bought a month ago' for 800...

I think the point is even if people buy only wheels or frames as long as they actually cycle them to work as far as I'm concerned that is within the spirit of the law. Selling them on to make profit isn't!
    bottom line is BTW is a big success there are a lot more bikes on the road no matter how they got there.

jdt101 wrote: »
    Government cannot even run the country, so policing the BTW scheme is totally out of the question!!!

Will there be garda checkpoints for bikes?

"Can I see your BTW documentation?"

I doubt it. What's more likely to happen is that if they conclude the scheme is being abused, they'll discontinue it.
    poochiem wrote: »

If that person's employer is audited, both they and the employer might have some questions to answer. In my experience, people who engage in tax avoidance schemes rarely do so for as little as €200.
    I think the point is even if people buy only wheels or frames as long as they actually cycle them to work as far as I'm concerned that is within the spirit of the law.

As far as Revenue is concerned, it's a whole bike you have to buy or nothing.

what constitutes a bike? the frame? the wheels? the components? the whole lot? If you buy the bike with the intention of changing the saddle are you also breaking the law?
    Also proving "intention" in this case would be interesting!
    I can't see anyone being prosecuted for buying bikes or components of whatever combination under this scheme. Buying lawnmowers however is another story!!!
    What constitutes a bike? That's why I said it needs to "function" as a bike. I'm not going to try and get into definitions here, as it is something that has never been tested (and is very unlikely ever to be). I can confirm, however, that wheels alone or a frame would not constitute a complete bike for the purposes of the scheme.

I am simply setting out the law. There are lots of laws in Ireland (and elsewhere) that citizens choose to break. That is ultimately up to them. However posters on here should not encourage others to break the law, by suggesting ways in which they may be able to escape detection. I am not accusing you of this, but I have seen posts in various BTW threads over the past year or so that do attempt to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I think Speedy Spokes in Cork is a Cevelo dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I doubt it. What's more likely to happen is that if they conclude the scheme is being abused, they'll discontinue it.

That for me is the biggest reason to oppose anyone abusing the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Slane Cycles up North are a massive Cervelo dealer.

www.slanecycles.com

Advertisement