Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Broadband for Xbox Live - Recommendations

• 14-09-2010 2:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭

OK, so I'm moving to a new house and I need to order BB. I want fast speeds so I was looking at the eircom and vodafone up to 24mb packages. Anybody have either of these? What are they like? Anybody have any problems with them?

I'm located in Castlebar, Co Mayo and UPC do not offer broadband here. Magnet do but only up to 8mb.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

can you even get the 24mb package in mayo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

8mb is more than enough for Xbox Live, it just needs a good ping, even if you had a solid 1mb it should be sufficient, unless you want to stream 1080P video from Zune....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

mossym wrote: »
    can you even get the 24mb package in mayo?

You can in Castlebar anyway.

I wanted to get the 24mb cause there would probably be people using laptops at the same time as xbox live so the extra speed would be handy.

Anybody else got any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

UPC

jenno86 wrote: »
    You can in Castlebar anyway.

I wanted to get the 24mb cause there would probably be people using laptops at the same time as xbox live so the extra speed would be handy.

Anybody else got any suggestions?

if other people are using the connection the extra speed won't be half as important as the ping, which will go way up. other people using the connection while gaming will be a killer

• Advertisement

I'm located in Castlebar, Co Mayo and UPC do not offer broadband here. Magnet do but only up to 8mb.
    Kev. wrote: »
    UPC

:confused:

Has anyone used Vodafone? What are they like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

Has anyone used Vodafone? What are they like?

I had eircom and was paying through the nose for a service that didn't deliver even 1mb.

Switched over to vodafone 8mb and it's cheaper, faster, free calls up to 60 minutes (just hang up and ring back on 59mins) to landlines, more download allowance, and to make things better they don't track your downloads.

It's brilliant. I'm big into my gaming. My ping is 41ms and i constantly have a green connection in MW2.

I'd recommend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Upc if available.

celtic723 wrote: »
    I had eircom and was paying through the nose for a service that didn't deliver even 1mb.

Switched over to vodafone 8mb and it's cheaper, faster, free calls up to 60 minutes (just hang up and ring back on 59mins) to landlines, more download allowance, and to make things better they don't track your downloads.

It's brilliant. I'm big into my gaming. My ping is 41ms and i constantly have a green connection in MW2.

I'd recommend them.

Thanks for the info!
    bryaner wrote: »
    Upc if available.

Does anyone read the OP anymore? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Thanks for the info!

Does anyone read the OP anymore? :confused:

Opps sorry.

celtic723 wrote: »

I'd recommend them.

don't they use the same backbone? why would the pings get better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

i live in castlebar and just sign up to vodafone last month 8mb contract geting 6mb which is great ping is around 50 -70.paying 38euro a month as i dont use the landline tp make calls.

cbar has being upgraded to next generation bb so eircom say you can see on the map how close u are to the exchange
    http://handelaar.org/maps/exchanges2.php?radius=4.5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

mossym wrote: »
    don't they use the same backbone? why would the pings get better?

I never said ''my ping got better''. I said my connection is better and mentioned my ping as a guideline to how low it is.

Vodafone for me is faster, better and cheaper.

It's a no brainer as far as i'm concerned.

Yes they run off the same backbone which is of course an eircom line.

The majority of problems you have with bb is down to eircoms ****ty line.

When i asked eircom to help solve my problem with my connection they said that my laptop had viruses and it wasn't their problem.

Switched to vodafone and i found the guys far more helpful. They even lowered my interleave to allow my game connection to be better.

In a nutshell, avoid eircom, they are rank rotten.

naughto wrote: »
    i live in castlebar and just sign up to vodafone last month 8mb contract geting 6mb which is great ping is around 50 -70.paying 38euro a month as i dont use the landline tp make calls.

cbar has being upgraded to next generation bb so eircom say you can see on the map how close u are to the exchange
    http://handelaar.org/maps/exchanges2.php?radius=4.5

Cool, thanks!

€38 a month? That seems pretty good! Is that including line rental?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

yea it is just tell them that u just want bb and not the package for the phone calls as well.take about 10 to 15 days to get is sorted once u order it

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/broadbandonly/?ts=1284470690186

Advertisement