Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go to college in Ireland...???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

So do they expect you to actually pay up front for this stuff??? And if you don't do they keep in Ireland until you do. lol, I mean considering I do go to college there. I am able to work there once given a degree right. I know the way college is over here, you can pay if off in certain time or over the years as work to pay it off...I mean how does all that go about.?

To get a student visa you have to have paid your fees for the year and have a minimum €7,000 in the bank. Overseas students are generally financed by wealthy parents, or what is becoming slightly more common, borrowing it from a bank. So at the start of each academic year you would need in the bank €18,000 for photography in DIT minimum in orher to get your visa apporved. When your course finishes you would be expected to go home or look for a work permit (I don't know much about the rules for work permits though)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Americangirl1

EEEEK, my credit isnt thaaaaat great, I would need a co-signer, and my mother would definitely **** her pants if I asked her too...I couldn't even Imagine. I'm definately sure I could save up enough american money (which would of course be converted) for my first year. After that, then I would probably have to go home during summer and then save up for my living expenses and get a loan. I would have to save at least 24 thousand in America. Peace of cake for me. :) I mean I have a year to do all this... ugghhh. So complicated, but I'm definately going for it. I have a friend whose Grandfather is from Ireland, I was just talking to him today saying how I wish I had family from there or somewhere so I could go to college. :)
    You did say they let you work a certain amount of hrs with a student visa? Do you know where I can look up more info on that. I know you gave me a link on something, and it was a broken link... Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Americangirl1

wait wait wait, I was readin up on some more stuff and it says, that for you to be able to go to college there, you have to show that you will continue your studies, does that mean that I have to be there for the full duration. What if I just wanted to go for the year and return home? Not saying that I would, but does that mean that I will not be able to go unless I stay and get my degree???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

"Show you will continue your studies" means that you've registered for the next year and passed your exams. It stops people coming on a student visa, dropping out the next week, and turning into illegal immigrants. In theory at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

Hello I'm really interested to know whether you ever came to Ireland and if so what was/is it like?
    :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement