Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shutter speed for night shots?

• 14-09-2010 8:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm going to take some night time shots around Galway 'urban centre' (as Tidytown Ireland call it...as opposed to city) some night soon, will use a tripod obviously.

Just wondering what shutter speed should I use? I know a long one but what would the minimun be? And what suggested?
    Any other tips?
    Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm going to take some night time shots around Galway 'urban centre' (as Tidytown Ireland call it...as opposed to city) some night soon, will use a tripod obviously.

Just wondering what shutter speed should I use? I know a long one but what would the minimun be? And what suggested?
    Any other tips?
    Cheers,
    Pa.

Check the exif data on some Flickr night shots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Pick your iso, pick your aperture and adjust your shutter speed accordingly?

There's no 'correct' shutter time, it depends on what you want to achieve? Long headlight trails, use a longer time, obviously.

Experiment, start at ISO100 and wide open and use your aperture to increase the shutter time if you feel like you want longer light trails etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

Any other tips?
    Cheers,
    Pa.
    Pa, it depends on your aperture and ISO and the available light. I'd suggest using manual. I'd guess that automatic or semi-automatic would tend to over-expose.

Not sure what white balance to use though but use raw anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Cheers for the tips.
    I'm not sure what I'm going to shoot yet- I'd guess a bit of everything- the docks, cathedreal, some buildings, light trails etc.

some tips here from Gordon Lang (good site- dslr tips.com).

I'll post up some pics after I've taken them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Another tip, just after sunset is usually best, while there's still a little colour in the sky, it's nice to have the sky a deep blue, rather than totally black.

Like so -
    53E38060AEE045509C73CA15183CFED8-500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do sensors suffer from reciprocity failure? i've never really done long exposure on digital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Best bet, get Understanding Exposure and read some other books. Get out shooting and then ask questions about what problems you encounter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

do sensors suffer from reciprocity failure? i've never really done long exposure on digital.

nope, it's an advantage certainly, but on the other hand film doesn't suffer from long exposure noise so it's probably horses for courses. If you're doing LONGGGGG exposures then reciprocity failure can probably work in your favour anyhow.

Advertisement