Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rescue kitten infected eye help/advice

Options
  • 14-09-2010 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

im currently fostering kitten that was abandoned on the road in a terrible state,

he is eight weeks old (ish) and ive had him at the vet. he has a touch of cat flu, with the accompaning conjunctivitus, as well as lice, and ear mites.

now he is on antibiotic drops and steriod tabs, as well as antib drops, but one eye is particularly bad, it is fused shut, the haws on the other is almost completely covering the other. i am washing them with cooled boiled water then drying and applying drops,

now most of the gunk is going i can see that there are sores on the outside of both eyes.

i have to go back to the vets on thurs to get drops for lice (when he is not as malnutritioned) and i can consult then, but in the meantime is there any more i can do? im worried the drops arnt getting in to the eye thats fused shut.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I know it's expensive, but you may want to consider taking the kitty in for an examination as it's possible that there's more serious damage to the eye than you think- not uncommon to get ruptured eyes and if eye is so swollen/stuck shut, you may not know.
    Otherwise, keep cleaning eye and applying drops- many drops work best if given 5ish times per day. Depends what specifically you have for the kitty.
    Poor kitty- fair play for taking it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

thanks for that wisco, ive been at the vet on thursday, would he think im overacting if i bring him in again so soon? he said thurs, but i am worried about loosing the eye, as the liklihood of rehoming him is slimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Nope, most vets understand that you're in a position to know if all is not well with your pet. Can you pull they eyelids apart at all? (gently obviously) It may be that the swelling isnt' coming down enough and you need different drops. Probably at least worth a call to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Ouch - sounds really horrible - poor kitty! Gently bathing the eyes in cooled tea or camomile tea can be more beneficial than just water, I've found.

Also I found Lysine to be great for cat flu when my pair were rescued kittens. You can get it in health food shops - grind up a 1/4 of a tablet and put it in her food. I think it helps to stop viruses replacating but I have no scientific evidence to quote on that! :D

I wouldn't delay on going back to the Vet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

thanks for that, brought him back to vet, and he has a bit of dermatitus on his eyelids, vet thought he could be blind already but he was able to negotiate the floor around him so we are giveing him a chance. we changed the drops to steriod ones, and he got another antibiotic, so he has a repreve for the next few days. im very worried aobut him loosing his sight as i would have serious problems trying to rehome him, even though he is a fab fluffy and friendly little thing.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

The poor thing! I know someone here on Boards has a blind cat who copes really well so they're not impossible to home! Hopefully it won't come to that though. At least you & the vet are working on it.

Advertisement