Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop for home production

Options
  • 14-09-2010 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

My friend is setting up a home studio for production with Ableton in his house. His budget is about €1000 for a desktop including two monitors.

Any recommendations for a desktop pc which would be best optimized for Ableton at that price? ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

inode wrote: »
    My friend is setting up a home studio for production with Ableton in his house. His budget is about €1000 for a desktop including two monitors.

Any recommendations for a desktop pc which would be best optimized for Ableton at that price? ;)

Speak to Paul Moss at scan.co.uk - they deliver to Ireland, will spec it for music production and exact needs.

I've had a couple of machines from there and the build quality is second to none and if you get problems they collect parts/computer at no cost to yourself and fix it quick (or send replacements)

Really nice service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

im gonna state the obvious and say an imac,he should be able to get a really nice screen with it.

i think there 20inch so a dual screen might not be necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Speak to Paul Moss at scan.co.uk - they deliver to Ireland, will spec it for music production and exact needs.

I've had a couple of machines from there and the build quality is second to none and if you get problems they collect parts/computer at no cost to yourself and fix it quick (or send replacements)

Really nice service.

Thats brilliant. thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

a grand is not enough, i take it you mean computer monitors not audio yeah? personally i would buy a big imac, but for convenience now i use a macbook pro and have a 24 inch monitor i use with it, pricey though!

empirix wrote: »
    a grand is not enough, i take it you mean computer monitors not audio yeah? personally i would buy a big imac, but for convenience now i use a macbook pro and have a 24 inch monitor i use with it, pricey though!

Half the power for double the cost!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

Half the power for double the cost!

sad but true.

i'm a mac addict coming from a design background, but lately have been thinking that if i ever got the chance to get into audio production seriously, then the only way to go would be to invest in a top notch PC, maxed for audio production. if only to avail the sheer wealth of mental PC VSTs that are out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

hackintosh ftw

also any decent vst has got a mac version.very few worthwhile plug ins are strictly pc

I just costed up an evil pc running at 55ghtz and 48gig of memory ;) - a snip at 7400 quid ;)

55ghtz!

/drool

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

55ghtz and 48gig of memory

wooooooooooooah....

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I just costed up an evil pc running at 55ghtz and 48gig of memory ;) - a snip at 7400 quid ;)

55ghtz!

/drool

Are you serious?

That sounds like the machines that can get built for scientific research.

The downside is windows may not really be able to handle all that power - you may only get a little bit more than you'd get with a fully loaded standard PC.

Then there's bottle necks and stuff to think of.

I'd love it, if someone like Roland took a laptop PC or desktop and created a dedicated Music operating system.

It's not so much how much power the machine has at it's disposal - it's really down to how it's utilised.

Lots of purpose built digital electronic equipment made more than ten years ago - with clock times in around 1 Mega Hertz - which makes them a thousand times slower than the cheapest laptop - in some ways, can still kick the sh1t out of any daw. Unfortunately, the stuff lacks a lot of what a DAW can do - but the those guys were able to create processor heavy stuff to run on really slow chips.

Roland are thinking of making a new groove box/DAW - they may not. But based on chips now and what they could potentially do, it could be real killer.

• Advertisement

krd wrote: »
    Are you serious?

That sounds like the machines that can get built for scientific research.

The downside is windows may not really be able to handle all that power - you may only get a little bit more than you'd get with a fully loaded standard PC.

Then there's bottle necks and stuff to think of.

I'd love it, if someone like Roland took a laptop PC or desktop and created a dedicated Music operating system.

It's not so much how much power the machine has at it's disposal - it's really down to how it's utilised.

Lots of purpose built digital electronic equipment made more than ten years ago - with clock times in around 1 Mega Hertz - which makes them a thousand times slower than the cheapest laptop - in some ways, can still kick the sh1t out of any daw. Unfortunately, the stuff lacks a lot of what a DAW can do - but the those guys were able to create processor heavy stuff to run on really slow chips.

Roland are thinking of making a new groove box/DAW - they may not. But based on chips now and what they could potentially do, it could be real killer.

Nah, dedicated music pc this is - the mobo and cpus designed to work with these speeds and DAWS can addressed multiple cores no problem :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Nah, dedicated music pc this is - the mobo and cpus designed to work with these speeds and DAWS can addressed multiple cores no problem :)

I would be very happy, if I had an ancient PC, running an ancient DAW that could handle SYSEX - so I could jam with my MC 505 and make tracks that way.

There's plenty I'd like to do with my laptop - but can't because of it's restrictions. But I'm learning a huge amount by working against it's limitations.

Eventually I'll get the setup I want - but for the minute, I don't have what I want.

krd wrote: »
    I would be very happy, if I had an ancient PC, running an ancient DAW that could handle SYSEX - so I could jam with my MC 505 and make tracks that way.

There's plenty I'd like to do with my laptop - but can't because of it's restrictions. But I'm learning a huge amount by working against it's limitations.

Eventually I'll get the setup I want - but for the minute, I don't have what I want.

Yeah that's the grind - and when you get a beast you end up using it to the max until Ableton freaks out :), it's good to learn how to get a big sound with limited facilities :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

win xp 32 can only see 4 gig of ram
    so you need win 7 or 64 bit xp to go super ram

i build all my pcs form SCAN uk parts - great shop
    and my machine is a fcuking animal , even if its on 3 year old technology now
    ( quad 9500 cpu , 4 gig ram , 4 by 500 gig drives plus one 80 gig OS drive )

it laffs in the face of vsts

lol got specs wrong... the cpu clocks in at... 79.92ghtz ;) *cries*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dasdog

That's nuts - virtual host server CPU speed.

Is your DAW 64-bit to make use of all that RAM? I'm restricted to run mine as 32-bit as the slave I'm using (f*king re-wire) is 32-bit only and won't see 64-bit Cubase.

dasdog wrote: »
    That's nuts - virtual host server CPU speed.

Is your DAW 64-bit to make use of all that RAM? I'm restricted to run mine as 32-bit as the slave I'm using (f*king re-wire) is 32-bit only and won't see 64-bit Cubase.

I did try cubase in 64bit... sort of worked but gave up after problems with plugins - abelton seems to love it and only had a few plugins that were killed in the move to 64bit - waves also suffered, can't really have to many instances of it running in 64 bit and i refuse to get involved with their stupid licensing.

Advertisement