Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

webpage login - not CMS

Options
  • 14-09-2010 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Folks, what alternatives can I have if I want a secure login page on my site to allow users to register just to view certain content when logged in? Do I need to use a CMS?

basically what I want to do is have a login option on the front page. I want to be able to email users with login details and when they log in they get to view another coulple of pages on the site.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

You can use your .htaccess file to password protect areas of your site. Not the most elegant solution but it will do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ludzer

Thanks Cormee, but not sure that will work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

You could have a look at Sitelok too, it's a great piece of software but not the easiest to set up and maintain. It would be easier using a CMS tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Well, what are you coding it in? PHP and MySQL can be pretty secure if used correctly. Do you have a database set up to store there details or are you looking to store everything with a third party?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

You could use a simple PHP script if you're not looking for something too complex. Here's one example (I make no claims about it's security but code looks ok):

http://www.zubrag.com/scripts/password-protect.php

• Advertisement

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Well, what are you coding it in? PHP and MySQL can be pretty secure if used correctly. Do you have a database set up to store there details or are you looking to store everything with a third party?

Sorry have been away. Well if I can help it I dont want to use a full cms, so just xhtml & css.
    I dont have a data base setup but can be done.

Trojan wrote: »
    You could use a simple PHP script if you're not looking for something too complex. Here's one example (I make no claims about it's security but code looks ok):

http://www.zubrag.com/scripts/password-protect.php

HHmmm ok might try that and see how it preforms - cheers T

Thats a handy little script and could work very well for what I want to do, but how secure do you think it is? How easy could someone bypass it? Not that the info will be super confidential but still for peace of mind.

Could I point that php file to a mysql data base with the login details being held there instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dangermouse2005

I know you've mentioned not wanting to use a CMS but for ease of use and for security I would definately recomend Wiccle Web Builder.
    I've used it for a few client sites and its second to none. I've seperate membership logins for different levels of access. Great for exactly what you are talking about. There is a free version iWiccle which has a good few modules but the one I used as above had loads of them.
    PM if you need anymore info or I can forward on some of those websites if you want to take a look for yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

ASP.Net 2.0 onwards has built in security functionality if you're willing/able to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Folks, please don't ask for a PM in thread. It's against the forum rules.

Also, the mention of iWiccle means I'll be paying very close attention to this thread.

Advertisement