Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times Tea Party Article

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

mgmt wrote: »
    I wasn't arsed, the author had made up his mind in the first few paragraphs so I wasn't going to waste my time on a hitpiece.

If you have enough conviction in your beliefs then what are you afraid of? The reality is that the author makes a strong case backed by evidence and facts. You just don't like the truth, which is a common strand among tea party fanatics.

Try reading the entire article with an open mind and then offer any logical arguments you might have against the opinions there in, rather than just dismissing it out of hand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Rolling Stone... "The Tea Party today is being pitched in the media as this great threat to the GOP; in reality, the Tea Party is the GOP."

Geeeeeee, I wonder where I've heard this before on our US Pol Cat forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

I wasn't arsed, the author had made up his mind in the first few paragraphs so I wasn't going to waste my time on a hitpiece.

What do you expect from the rolling stone? i stopped reading after the remarks about all the white people. What on earth has their skin colour got to do with the tea party?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

veritable wrote: »
    What do you expect from the rolling stone? i stopped reading after the remarks about all the white people. What on earth has their skin colour got to do with the tea party?

You really don't see a problem in an exclusively white middle class movement who disproportionately benefit from government spending (Social security and Medicare) that doesn't appear to have any blue collar, black or latino support?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Maybe if you read the article you would know why it is relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,969 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well when my dad claims to be Tea Party, and I hear the words "That ****ing ******" coming from the other room when he's listening to a new report about Obama; despite his repeated claims that he himself is not a racist - It makes one wonder.

Denerick wrote: »
    You really don't see a problem in an exclusively white middle class movement who disproportionately benefit from government spending (Social security and Medicare) that doesn't appear to have any blue collar, black or latino support?

How do they disproportionately benefit from SS or Medicare? Surely they are the ones who should get the most from it, seeing as they've paid into it for most of their working lives?
    Why does the race of the people matter? The tea party is explicitly in favour of all skin colour. Not like the National Black Caucus, for example, that is restricted to blacks only.

Overheal wrote: »
    Well when my dad claims to be Tea Party, and I hear the words "That ****ing ******" coming from the other room when he's listening to a new report about Obama; despite his repeated claims that he himself is not a racist - It makes one wonder.

Well if you want to base your opinion of a movement, supported by one third of Americans, on your dad...

Does that say more about your dad or you?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Typical, pull out the race card. The Tea Party message is simple: "Less government intrusion."

Race is just a weapon used by Obama's 1984 footsoldiers:

I've said it so many times, but I thank God every single day that I didn't have the misfortune of being born in America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Doesnt Drew Carey hold the same Libertarian views of the Ron Paul type tea party members and not mnany think of him as an extremist nutjob.I really cant understand why the likes of Bill Maher and Oberman and Maddow are lauded by leftie's.They are just as divisive and wacky except on the left.

I also dont understand why so many Irish media types care so much/write so much about the tea part etc.Wow they dont like democrats or obama,who cares,around 45% of the american voters didnt vote for him,are they supposed to like him?

Typical, pull out the race card. The Tea Party message is simple: "Less government intrusion."

Typical corporate media tactics. Invite a tea party representitive on and don't allow him to answer your questions.

The videos i've seen of tea party rallies have had plenty of blacks and hispanics. I will post links below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcsnWLLdl70&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1CLPhz0DHM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35RUU-ucx1Y

these were pretty easy to find. i'm sure they's more if you're interested...

I've said it so many times, but I thank God every single day that I didn't have the misfortune of being born in America.

Thanks for sharing that with us. ???:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Some quotes from the Matt Taibbi Rolling Stone article regarding race. Some of the teabag supporters in this thread show the features lol. .:

They are all furious at the implication that race is a factor in their political views — despite the fact that they blame the financial crisis on poor black homeowners, spend months on end engrossed by reports about how the New Black Panthers want to kill "cracker babies," support politicians who think the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was an overreach of government power, tried to enact South African-style immigration laws in Arizona and obsess over Charlie Rangel, ACORN and Barack Obama's birth certificate

It would be inaccurate to say the Tea Partiers are racists. What they are, in truth, are narcissists. They're completely blind to how offensive the very nature of their rhetoric is to the rest of the country. I'm an ordinary middle-aged guy who pays taxes and lives in the suburbs with his wife and dog — and I'm a radical communist? I don't love my country? I'm a redcoat? **** you! These are the kinds of thoughts that go through your head as you listen to Tea Partiers expound at awesome length upon their cultural victimhood, surrounded as they are by America-haters like you and me or, in the case of foreign-born president Barack Obama, people who are literally not Americans in the way they are.

It's not like the Tea Partiers hate black people. It's just that they're shockingly willing to believe the appalling horse**** fantasy about how white people in the age of Obama are some kind of oppressed minority. That may not be racism, but it is incredibly, earth-shatteringly stupid. I hear this theme over and over — as I do on a recent trip to northern Kentucky, where I decide to stick on a Rand Paul button and sit in on a Tea Party event at a local amusement park. Before long, a group of about a half-dozen Tea Partiers begin speculating about how Obamacare will force emergency-room doctors to consult "death panels" that will evaluate your worth as a human being before deciding to treat you.

raven136 wrote: »
    I also dont understand why so many Irish media types care so much/write so much about the tea part etc.Wow they dont like democrats or obama,who cares,around 45% of the american voters didnt vote for him,are they supposed to like him?

It's because the tea party poses such a threat to their wacky progressive big government ideology. they can't debate the tea party representitives (as seen in the youtube clips on mgmt's post above) so they choose to pull the race card. the only way for liberal nutjobs to defeat the tea party is to undermine their credibility and call them racists, and/or hypocritical white senior citizens as the rolling stone article shows.

Here we go again. Its the bogeymans fault. The tea partiers are racist because of the media and the liberals. How predictable. Look inwards, American conservatives, stop making excuses and stop pointing fingers elsewhere.

20Cent wrote: »
    Some quotes from the Matt Taibbi Rolling Stone article regarding race. Some of the teabag supporters in this thread show the features lol. .:
    Reported for the use of the teabagger term.

They are all furious at the implication that race is a factor in their political views — despite the fact that they blame the financial crisis on poor black homeowners, spend months on end engrossed by reports about how the New Black Panthers want to kill "cracker babies," support politicians who think the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was an overreach of government power, tried to enact South African-style immigration laws in Arizona and obsess over Charlie Rangel, ACORN and Barack Obama's birth certificate
    Incorrect. They blame the financial crisis on the government policies, not the beneficiaries of those policies.
    The black panthers have been quoted as saying they want to kill crcker babies. http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=175817
    There is one clause that the right disagrees with in the 1964 act. They disagree that the govt should be allowed to tell people how to behave in the course of their own private business.
    The arizona immigration issue is about protecting the people of the border states from the violence that drug runners bring into the border towns. Police and citizens have been killed. Mainly, the Arizonians rightly believe that it is unfair for illegals to benefit from schools and hospitals when they don't pay any taxes.
    I'm not even going to into the rest of the authors leftist diatribe and hypothesising.

Here we go again. Its the bogeymans fault. The tea partiers are racist because of the media and the liberals. How predictable. Look inwards, American conservatives, stop making excuses and stop pointing fingers elsewhere.

What's the constructive point of your sarcasm? Why can't you address the arguments put forth against your ideology?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Did you report Jon Stewart to the FCC for the same remark?

The Tea Party are Right Wing Christian fundamentalists.
    Christine O'Donnell believes masturbation is akin to adultery. That is just completely idiotic.

What you have here are localised lunatics looking for attention. They have nothing to offer to any government, other than telling people that they believe God has chosen them to spread his message.

These people need professional help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Incorrect. They blame the financial crisis on the government policies, not the beneficiaries of those policies.
    The black panthers have been quoted as saying they want to kill crcker babies. http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=175817
    There is one clause that the right disagrees with in the 1964 act. They disagree that the govt should be allowed to tell people how to behave in the course of their own private business.
    The arizona immigration issue is about protecting the people of the border states from the violence that drug runners bring into the border towns. Police and citizens have been killed. Mainly, the Arizonians rightly believe that it is unfair for illegals to benefit from schools and hospitals when they don't pay any taxes.
    I'm not even going to into the rest of the authors leftist diatribe and hypothesising.

The World Net Daily!! Oh for the love of the jebus.

• Advertisement

What's the constructive point of your sarcasm? Why can't you address the arguments put forth against your ideology?

Stop yapping on about ideology, like most sane people on this planet I occupy the pragmatic center ground, not the rabble rousing extremes of left and right. But I will stress the point again; extreme ideologies that rest on popular fervour, religiosity and mass ignorance require a number of 'bogeymen' characters so as to deflect criticism.

Think it is hypocritical to have millions of white middle class people benefiting from social security and medicare whilst simultaneously protesting against government spending? Then you're a Liberal elitist. See, then you don't have to deal with this issue, because the person you are dealing with is a filthy liberal who by definition is amoral and wrong!

Think that billionaires are bankrolling the movement and find it odd that no black people are in these angry crowds? Well then, obviously your the MSM, and then you don't have to deal with the issue, because the person you are dealing with is a filthy liberal journalist who by definition is amoral and wrong!

repeat ad infinitum.

Well if you want to base your opinion of a movement, supported by one third of Americans, on your dad...

Does that say more about your dad or you?

:rolleyes:
    I think I've given it ample time to form an opinion, thanks. You don't know me, nor are you aware that I have given the Tea Party as much rope as it has required to hang itself. And why is it that so many accounts out there match up with my own, is it a coincidence or is there an [un]healthy minority group in the tea party that are hijacking it? You have to ask yourself were these impressions are originating and decide for yourself.
    Lol, you read the excerpt quote above about Narcissism?

I love how the maker of this video attempted to slide the Character of Jim Halpbert in there to portray NBC as White... John Krasinsky, but no nod to Co-Star Oscar Nunez (who portrays a Homosexual), Mindy Kaling or Leslie David Baker, or Craig Robinson. Disingenuous youtube argument.
    He was fair to the Tea Party on a whole. Im not sure I see the problem? Except that he uses the same tactics as Bill O'Reilly and is kind-of a windbag. I prefer Anderson Cooper myself.
    raven136 wrote: »
    Doesnt Drew Carey hold the same Libertarian views of the Ron Paul type tea party members and not mnany think of him as an extremist nutjob.I really cant understand why the likes of Bill Maher and Oberman and Maddow are lauded by leftie's.They are just as divisive and wacky except on the left.

Thing is I never had an issue with Ron Paul. Those are however not the views this Tea Party seems interested in adopting.
    The black panthers have been quoted as saying they want to kill crcker babies.
    Wow, now you really need to read the Rolling Stones article, because now that you've brought up the Panthers, this thread is becoming Prophetic as Hell:
    The individuals in the Tea Party may come from very different walks of life, but most of them have a few things in common. After nearly a year of talking with Tea Party members from Nevada to New Jersey, I can count on one hand the key elements I expect to hear in nearly every interview. One: Every single one of them was that exceptional Republican who did protest the spending in the Bush years, and not one of them is the hypocrite who only took to the streets when a black Democratic president launched an emergency stimulus program. ("Not me — I was protesting!" is a common exclamation.) Two: Each and every one of them is the only person in America who has ever read the Constitution or watched Schoolhouse Rock. (Here they have guidance from Armey, who explains that the problem with "people who do not cherish America the way we do" is that "they did not read the Federalist Papers.") Three: They are all furious at the implication that race is a factor in their political views — despite the fact that they blame the financial crisis on poor black homeowners, spend months on end engrossed by reports about how the New Black Panthers want to kill "cracker babies," support politicians who think the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was an overreach of government power, tried to enact South African-style immigration laws in Arizona and obsess over Charlie Rangel, ACORN and Barack Obama's birth certificate. Four: In fact, some of their best friends are black! (Reporters in Kentucky invented a game called "White Male Liberty Patriot Bingo," checking off a box every time a Tea Partier mentions a black friend.) And five: Everyone who disagrees with them is a radical leftist who hates America.

It's because the tea party poses such a threat to their wacky progressive big government ideology. they can't debate the tea party representitives (as seen in the youtube clips on mgmt's post above) so they choose to pull the race card. the only way for liberal nutjobs to defeat the tea party is to undermine their credibility and call them racists, and/or hypocritical white senior citizens as the rolling stone article shows.
    And yet that movement has been hijacked by hypocritical white senior citizens. Whether or not they make up the entire Tea Party is debatable. But why do you need to be in the Tea Party to be associated with such people?

Independent: the non-party.

Terry wrote: »
    Did you report Jon Stewart to the FCC for the same remark?

I reported it because it is against the us politics forum rules to use it, Mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

And yet that movement has been hijacked by hypocritical white senior citizens. Whether or not they make up the entire Tea Party is debatable. But why do you need to be in the Tea Party to be associated with such people?

Independent: the non-party.

The Tea Party is not a political party. The USA was founded by people who were against excessive government intervention in their lives. They had a "Tea Party" to protest government taxation. Now, Americans are using the same idea to protest against government intrusion in their lives. What part of that do you dislike? It is the basis on which the USA was founded. Should Americans follow Keith Olbermann and bow down to Obama while he bails out the auto-industry, bails out the financial industry, wastes money on worthless stimulus packages, take over their health care, limit their civil liberties. Are you a doormat?

fontanalis wrote: »
    The World Net Daily!! Oh for the love of the jebus.

What's your problem? Watch the corresponding video (on the same page) of the black panther guy making the exact remarks before you make such a dismissive comment! seriously....

I think I've given it ample time to form an opinion, thanks. You don't know me, nor are you aware that I have given the Tea Party as much rope as it has required to hang itself. And why is it that so many accounts out there match up with my own, is it a coincidence or is there an [un]healthy minority group in the tea party that are hijacking it? You have to ask yourself were these impressions are originating and decide for yourself.

I agree that there are fringe member that do not represent the entire movement but the corporate media portrays them as such.
    Wow, now you really need to read the Rolling Stones article, because now that you've brought up the Panthers, this thread is becoming Prophetic as Hell: .......

I already responded to this point above.

Should Americans follow Keith Olbermann and bow down to Obama while he bails out the auto-industry,

He can't sell them back quickly enough.
    bails out the financial industry,

Bush? TARP?
    wastes money on worthless stimulus packages,

BUSH?
    take over their health care,

Bullshít.
    limit their civil liberties.

BUSH???
    Are you a doormat?

No. I can think of a word for you, but I'm much too polite.

Where were you between 2000-2008 by the way? Is it a wild coincidence that the present President is a ******?

The Tea Party is not a political party. The USA was founded by people who were against excessive government intervention in their lives. They had a "Tea Party" to protest government taxation. Now, Americans are using the same idea to protest against government intrusion in their lives. What part of that do you dislike? It is the basis on which the USA was founded. Should Americans follow Keith Olbermann and bow down to Obama while he bails out the auto-industry, bails out the financial industry, wastes money on worthless stimulus packages, take over their health care, limit their civil liberties. Are you a doormat?
    You do not know me, or what I oppose. Clearly if you think I supported the bailouts, or that I supported invasions of privacy, you have not been reading this forum long enough to know who you are speaking to. You may, at your leisure, use the search function: I'm an open book. And yes, as Denerick zealously points out: GWB was responsible for just as much of that, as the current president who seems set on keeping many of the same policies.

The Tea Party does not need to be a registered political body. It's enough that common society recognizes the movement as an Entity. I suppose it would be up to individual, regional tea party organizations to decide for themselves whether they wanted to segregate from a larger movement, which in appearance, has been hijacked by the lunatic fringe.
    I agree that there are fringe member that do not represent the entire movement but the corporate media portrays them as such.
    And that is unfortunate. I believe there a plenty of honest people in the Tea Party but there are enough dishonest people to make that impact. Thats not to say the media has never worked in the Right's favor in the past.

• Advertisement

He can't sell them back quickly enough.

Bush? TARP?

BUSH?

Bullshít.

BUSH???

No. I can think of a word for you, but I'm much too polite.

Where were you between 2000-2008 by the way? Is it a wild coincidence that the present President is a ******?

The tea party is just as against bush and his big govt spending as it is against obama!!!!!! stop trying to imply that the colour of obama's skin is the reason why people don't like his policies!!!!!!!

is "bull****" your only response to the healthcare issue? that issue was one of the fundamental drivers of the tea party.

Advertisement