Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United vs Rangers. CL 14.09.2010

• 14-09-2010 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭

manutd.jpgVS.rangers.jpg

First match day of the CL 'proper' and we have the Battle of Britain to kick things off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8994314.stm
    Manchester United pair Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand are both set to return for their Champions League Group C opener against Rangers on Tuesday.

Striker Rooney, who was left out of the league game at Everton on Saturday after allegations about his private life, trained with the squad on Monday.
    England defender Ferdinand is fit after a long-term knee injury and could play.
    Rangers hope defender Steven Whittaker will recover from a calf injury, but Kirk Broadfoot (ankle) is doubtful.

Striker Kenny Miller, who scored a 90th-minute winner in the Scottish Premier League against Hamilton on Saturday, will return to the starting XI with recent signing Nikica Jelavic ineligible.

Ferdinand has not played since May and he missed the World Cup with a knee problem he picked up training with England, but Sir Alex Ferguson seems certain to hand the 31-year-old a starting berth.
    Midfielder Michael Carrick will not feature as he is still struggling with an ankle problem.

United will want to quickly forget about the 3-3 draw at Everton, with the Toffees scoring twice in injury time to complete a remarkable comeback. Ferguson's men have won their previous two meetings against Rangers in the Champions League, winning 1-0 at Ibrox and 3-0 at Old Trafford in the group stage in 2003.

Rangers failed to win any of their six games in the competition last season and have not won any of their last 10 Champions League games, losing seven times. They have also lost on four of their last five visits to England, the exception being a 2-1 European Cup win over Leeds in 1992-93.
    United, who were knocked out in the quarter-finals by Bayern Munich last term, are looking for their 150th win in European football in their 279th game.

My predication for the United side:

................VDS

O'Shea..Rio...Vidic..Evra

Valencai..Scholes..Fletcher..Nani

...........Rooney..Berbatov

Also reckon Rio will run out as captain tonight.

As an aside to this game, having forgot about doing so for the Everton game at the weekend due to my sulk which lasted till..... well, it is still going, tonight will be the first Boards Man Utd MotM calc.

After the game has ended, post up your 3 votes (in order) for MotM. eg.

1.Scholes.
    2.Rooney.
    3.Berbatov

Votes should only go to United players.

The scoring will be 3 points for 1st, 2 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd. Player with most points get MotM.

At the end of each month, the scores will be added together to get the United player of the month, and same at the end of the season.

Will have it open to all, but I would ask that all non-United fans please be sensible in their picks and no piss-takes - it will be fairly time consuming to do this, so please try not to waste my time:)

When voting, please put the name of the team you support at the beginning of the post so that I can split off the United votes and have two results - United fans votes, Overall votes.

When I have counted your vote, I will 'Thank' your vote post. If you vote and I have not thanked it - but thanked posts past it, please let me know via PM.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

manutd.jpg
    Will have it open to all, but I would ask that all non-United fans please be sensible in their picks and no piss-takes - it will be fairly time consuming to do this, so please try not to waste my time:)

I'd echo this - think it's very good of you to take it upon yourself to do this, should be fun.

Hopefully people will respect the effort you're putting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just count the votes of United fans imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

First match day of the CL 'proper' and we have the Battle of Britain to kick things off.

Well let's hope that this "battle" doesn't destroy the city of Manchester again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RasTa wrote: »
    Just count the votes of United fans imo.
    two things
    1. I'm not 100% sure on some posters and who they support.

2. RedCafe do this for each game, so there is a 99% United poster vote for that. I think that it would be interesting to see how the results on here may differ to those on RC with more input from non-United fans.

What I may do is do two results (wouldn't take that much longer) and have results for United fans and for overall.

EDIT: Have added another request for voting (calling of team allegiance) to the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Considering this is against another British team and a home game I expect this to be one of the very few times we see 4-4-2 from us in the Champions League this year. Along with Berbatov being in good form, and the need to get Rooney back on the pitch, I expect nothing else.

Back four probably picks itself, with the only question mark being if Rio will return tonight, or Sunday. I'll go with tonight but Evans to step in if not.

Center mid is kind of picking itself at the moment with Carrick out, and Anderson still finding his way back, leaving us short of options. Question mark on the wings, however I don't expect Giggs to start, but wouldn't be surprised to see Park get in, again with it being at home I'll go for the more attacking option.

VDS
    -O'Shea---Rio
    Vidic---Evra
    -Valencia-Fletcher-Scholes-Nani
    Rooney---Berbatov

I expect a win, I hope for a good one 3 - 0, however I can see us conceding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Just posted on the United website:
    It will be interesting to see what Sir Alex does with his team selection tonight. Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes won't play both this evening and at the weekend. So there's a bit of a dilemma in midfield. With Michael Carrick out, Sir Alex might want to protect Darren Fletcher too. So I think John O'Shea might just remain in the middle of the park. I think there are two options. A five man midfield of maybe Park, Anderson/Gibson, Giggs, O'Shea and Valencia, with Rooney up front on his own. Or Park, Giggs, O'Shea, Valencia, with Rooney and Chicharito up front.

Going by what is above would like to see Scholes rested for the weekend game and maybe Giggs playing tonight. I'd like to see Anderson get a game tonight. He has played a few reserve games now.
    Would also like to see Rafael get some game time tonight.

My team for tonight would be

VDS
    Rafael---Rio---Vidic---Evra
    Valencia--Anderson--Fletcher--Nani/Giggs
    Rooney---Berbs

Think we should have too much for Rangers especially at home and would be nice to get a few goals and keep a clean sheet to restore a bit of confidence in the team after dropping points so late in the last two games.

Don't see any need to protect players just yet.

Giggs and Scholes had the international break off, and after tonight they have Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday to rest up for the Liverpool game on Sunday. No travelling involved for either game too, and then we have Scunthorpe in the League Cup after where you can be sure neither Giggs nor Scholes will be involved and fletcher could be rested there too. So I don't see any real reason to rest players at this point, especially with the days rest we have to come and the way the fixtures are lining up. Also, don't forget that Liverpool will have two days less rest than United, so our fitness levels should be better anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Well let's hope that this "battle" doesn't destroy the city of Manchester again.

Your obsession with Rangers is quite funny :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Hopefully Berba continues his super run of form. I hope Chicharito gets at least 20/30 mins depending on how the game is going.

Actually, is Obertan fit again? I'd love to see him get some first team action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

What the hell are people thinking. Anderson, Chicharito , Obertan? This is still a champions league game, its our first one in the group. I really hope we don't go taking stupid risks like that, with the potential for making the rest of the group difficult.

Play our best team, pick up the points, hopefully put yourself in a position to rest people at the end of the group not the start.

Yes Rangers are no european power house but it won't be a walk over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Man United to win easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This is on at 4.45am over here :( Thankfully I have the channel that it's on, so tomorrow will just have to be a tired day in work. We had better get 3 points out of it, or I'll be vewy vewy angwy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Spud83 wrote: »
    What the hell are people thinking. Anderson, Chicharito , Obertan? This is still a champions league game, its our first one in the group. I really hope we don't go taking stupid risks like that, with the potential for making the rest of the group difficult.

Play our best team, pick up the points, hopefully put yourself in a position to rest people at the end of the group not the start.

Yes Rangers are no european power house but it won't be a walk over.

Not expecting it to be a walkover but I do think it would be a good game for Anderson to be brought back into the team for. Would fully expect us to win the game even with a midfield pairing of Fletcher and Anderson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

United to hammer these guys, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Hope United tonk them because of the anti-Irish sentiment in some of Rangers support. Most are just 90 minute bigots and good people I'm sure, but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I hope our celtic cousins hammer the sassenachs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I'm on my iphone and wondering if there are any streams anywhere in the world what i can listen to the match ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I see 4-5-1 being played with Berbatov coming on. Even though it is against a British team ,it is how United go about business in the CL. Hopefully Obertan, Smalling and Macheda will get on if United are cruising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

NeVeR wrote: »
    I'm on my iphone and wondering if there are any streams anywhere in the world what i can listen to the match ?
    Does sopcast work on the iphone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

As an aside to this game, having forgot about doing so for the Everton game at the weekend due to my sulk which lasted till..... well, it is still going, tonight will be the first Boards Man Utd MotM calc.

After the game has ended, post up your 3 votes (in order) for MotM. eg.

1.Scholes.
    2.Rooney.
    3.Berbatov

Votes should only go to United players.

The scoring will be 3 points for 1st, 2 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd. Player with most points get MotM.

At the end of each month, the scores will be added together to get the United player of the month, and same at the end of the season.

When voting, please put the name of the team you support at the beginning of the post so that I can split off the United votes and have two results - United fans votes, Overall votes.

When I have counted your vote, I will 'Thank' your vote post. If you vote and I have not thanked it - but thanked posts past it, please let me know via PM.

Is it not possible to just edit your post and add a poll once the game is over ?

• Advertisement

I see 4-5-1 being played with Berbatov coming on.

imo, couldn't possibly drop Berba when he is playing the way he is, and has confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Hope United tonk them because of the anti-Irish sentiment in some of Rangers support. Most are just 90 minute bigots and good people I'm sure, but still.

Sounds like an apt description of Celtic fans to me, speaking from personal experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Does sopcast work on the iphone?

Ustream does afaik, you should be able to get an iraq goals stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Rooney10 wrote: »
    imo, couldn't possibly drop Berba when he is playing the way he is, and has confidence.

Drop Rooney then? Actually I could see Berbatov starting alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Can we not turn this into a Rangers/Celtic thing lads please?

I'm sick to the back teeth of anything on this board that involves Rangers turning into a petty tit for tat slagging match.
    Celtic have absolutely no bearing on this match, or this tournament whatsoever, so lets leave it out.

As for the match, i fully expect Utd to hammer us by 3+ goals, so im just going to enjoy the build up for the moment! :D

Drop Rooney then? Actually I could see Berbatov starting alone

I'd play both Rooney & Berba, we shouldn't need 5 in midfield at home to Rangers. I'd definitely like to see Hernandez on to get some CL experience if we are a safe distance in front. (3 or more :()

Would be pure madness to drop Berbatov - his hot streaks never tend to last long so best keep him on the pitch whilst he is in one.

As regards Rooney no idea how this whole prostitute saga will mess with him - hope to god he doesnt go off the boil for a time as that can only be a bad thing.

redout wrote: »
    Would be pure madness to drop Berbatov - his hot streaks never tend to last long so best keep him on the pitch whilst he is in one.

As regards Rooney no idea how this whole prostitute saga will mess with him - hope to god he doesnt go off the boil for a time as that can only be a bad thing.

his performances for England were the best he has produced for a while, right at the start of this 'saga'. Don't see why it would have an effect on him now, especially with talk now that Wayne and Coleen are back together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

United 3-1 but can see us going behind or Rangers getting on level terms beforewe pull clear to win.

Dont think Fergie will play full strength team.

• Advertisement

his performances for England were the best he has produced for a while, right at the start of this 'saga'. Don't see why it would have an effect on him now, especially with talk now that Wayne and Coleen are back together.

Aye but that was before he faced his wife though - no ? Thats what I thought I had read anyway - could be wrong on that. Suppose really cant take the tabloid crap seriously though as half of it is no doubt complete bull. Hopefully he scores as that would be the perfect thing for both him and the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What, will Scholes even play? Can he handle playing 90 on Saturday and tonight and the Liverpool match? Nahhh keep him fresh. Rooney should play some part

Kuszczak

Rafael --- Rio --- Smalling/Brown --- Fabio

Valencia --- Fletcher --- Gibson --- Park/Obertan

Rooney --- Hernandez

Subs: Amos, O'Shea, Evans/Brown, Park, Nani, Bébé, Macheda.

Is what I want to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

If United play a full strength team, I expect 3-4 goals to nil.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Ustream does afaik, you should be able to get an iraq goals stream.

Just got ustream. I'll see what i can do .

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

I hope our celtic cousins hammer the sassenachs.

FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

TV3 seem to be streaming this tonight. Really hope so as I'm in work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Man Utd Starting 11: Kuszcszak, Brown, Smalling, Ferdinand, Fabio, Valencia, Gibson, Fletcher, Park, Hernandez, Rooney.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

I hope Anderson gets on at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

mars bar wrote: »
    Man Utd Starting 11: Kuszcszak, Brown, Smalling, Ferdinand, Fabio, Valencia, Gibson, Fletcher, Park, Hernandez, Rooney.

interesting

Forgot Wes existed

Seriously? I know Rangers aren't any great shakes but I hope we have some options on the bench. :eek:

Trilla wrote: »
    interesting

Forgot Wes existed

Hah!

What has poor Rafael done though? He hasn't had much of a look in at all...

EDIT: He's carrying a suspension from the Bayern Munich game.

• Advertisement

Seriously? I know Rangers aren't any great shakes but I hope we have some options on the bench. :eek:

That's what has come through on Twitter. Certainly open for correction!

That's what has come through on Twitter. Certainly open for correction!

With a big game at the weekend that lineup wouldn't surprise me to be honest. Just hope it's enough to get the win.

TV3 seem to be streaming this tonight. Really hope so as I'm in work.

Will i get this on the Ipod touch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Subs: Van der Sar, Owen, Anderson, Giggs, O'Shea, Jonathan Evans, Macheda.

NeVeR wrote: »
    Will i get this on the Ipod touch ?

No idea, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Bukman13 wrote: »
    I hope Anderson gets on at some point.

Confirmed. Not sure about the bench.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Subs: Van der Sar, Owen, Anderson, Giggs, O'Shea, Jonathan Evans, Macheda.

Hee hee, Jonathan. He doesn't look like a Jonathan!

Here's hoping Fergie hasn't just burst Berba's bubble! (Alliteration FTW!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

NANI not even on bench ? will he play weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Is Carrick injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

NANI not even on bench ? will he play weekend?

I'd guess that's why he's not in the squad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement