Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United vs Rangers. CL 14.09.2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

NANI not even on bench ? will he play weekend?

Yeah he will I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

JOKE of a team

NickDrake wrote: »
    Is Carrick injured?

YEah, Achilles injury. Out for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

NickDrake wrote: »
    Is Carrick injured?

Yep....

Ankle I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I take back my 3 or 4 to nil prediction after seeing that team. This will end 0-0 or 1-0 United, I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

have to say, despite their being 10 changes, I am not too unhappy with the team.

Always a good chance Tommy K was going to start, rumours are that he is already penciled in for all the group games.

Brown and Fabio at full back i am fine with. Brown has shown himself to be very good there in the past, and we need Fabio to prove himself to be an option at LB.

Great to have Rio back, goals conceded vs Fulham and Everton show that we miss him - if he can get back to his best. Smalling needs minutes for fitness and games for experience. Will be interesting to see how he does.

Valencia on the right I am absolutely fine with, first choice RWer imo.

Fletcher first choice CM for me too.

Gibson I don't like seeing there, but then I never do. Don't rate him. Ditto for Park, especially on the left. Don't think he is good enough on the ball or sharp enough in the final third, though Rangers aren't a Euro big gun so if he can well vs anyone he should be able to do well tonight.

Rooney first choice forward and will be interesting to see how he does, no doubt the crowd will be roaring him on.

Chicharito is a player I want to see more of so I am happy to see him starting, though I am a little disappointed to see Berbatov rested given the form he has been showing - though hopefully it keeps him on top of his game for Liverpool Sunday.

From the bench I would be hoping to see Anderson and Kiko get some minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Good enough to beat rangers. 2 nil.

Also backed United @ 5/1 to NOT win tonight, great price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

JOKE of a team

Looks ok to me. :confused:

• Advertisement

JOKE of a team

I disagree. There is enough firepower between Fletch, Hernandez, Rooney and Valencia to see off Rangers. Park will hound out and do the dirty work.

Smalling is the one I feel most nervous about but Rio should do enough to help him.

McGregor, Broadfoot, Bougherra, Weir, Papac, McCulloch, Edu, Whittaker, Davis, Naismith, Miller for Rangers. Would like to have seen Jelavic or Weiss starting, but I think that's a good enough team to possibly give United a scare, especially if United are complacent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Looking foward to watching Hernandez skin weir for pace:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Strange team selection from United but I'd fully expect them to win. Gonna say 3-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Nothing too wrong with that team, should be good enough for a 3-0 win. Glad he's changing it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

should be straight forward win, scottish football is at an all time low ebb, the national team are horrible, all the clubs teams were knocked out of europe in the qualifying round (except rangers who didn't play) and celtic (around same level as rangers) were beat 4-0 by utrecht

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

As a Celtic fan I'm disappointed with the team United have put out, but they should still be strong enough to win, just not by as much as I would have liked.

It will be tough to break Rangers down as they will no doubt line out in the ultra defensive mode which served them so well in their European run a couple of seasons back. It's horrible football to watch, anti-football as Lionel Messi called it, but it has worked well for them in the past.

United to win 2-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Fergie taking the piss with that side!

Utd will still win comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

JOKE of a team

Hence all the changes from Fergie. :cool:

Cue repost at about 10pm when rangers win 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this is a decent opportunity for Smalling, especially given that Evans hasn't had the best of starts to the season.

i expect a Utd win, even though i don't think it will be the hammering many have predicted.

my prediction is 2-0.

Weir v Hernandez could be fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

This defence of the team bothers me to be honest. The point is not that he has selected a poor 11 - it's that these players have very little experience playing together. Rio hasn't much match practice lately so it would have made sense for vidic to start with him. Ferguson takes these risks a lot and they always tend to bite him on the ass. This isn't the carling cup ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

my prediction is 4-0. Rooney with 2, Gibson with 1 and Park the other :)

TopBombing wrote: »
    It's horrible football to watch, anti-football as Lionel Messi called it, but it has worked well for them in the past.
    Better anti-football than just rolling over and not even try like Celtic did against Utrecht ;)

This defence of the team bothers me to be honest.

I doubt Rangers plan on doing too much attacking so Ferguson will have that in mind. They will be happy to sit back all night and hope for a 0-0.

Better anti-football than just rolling over and not even try like Celtic did against Utrecht ;)

Certainly more effective, bore them into submission...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

From what I've seen of Smalling, he has looked very dangerous from set-pieces, wouldn't be surprised to see him score tonight.

SlickRic wrote: »
    this is a decent opportunity for Smalling, especially given that Evans hasn't had the best of starts to the season.

I've been quite impressed with Smalling in the few run outs he's had so far.
    His one real weakness seems to be that he has a habit of getting too tight and can be turned quite easily, especially in the latter part of games when a little tired.

If Rangers come out and play I can see Chico having a field day with his pace, but Id expect Rangers to play very deep and defensive.

Gibson, although probably one of the more experienced of the fringe players playing tonight, is my biggest worry. I just don't think he's much of a player at all. Gets ahead of the ball far too much, although he has plenty of cover tonight with the rest of midfield. Fletcher will be box to box, Park is always better going backwards than forwards and Valencia is just a dream of a player for Fergie with the perfect balance of attack and defence in his locker.

It's funny the amount of people on here that steal their opinions direct from somone's twitter feed.

Worst interview ever.

Interesting comments from Fergie re the team selection, on Sky.

It's funny the amount of people on here that steal their opinions direct from somone's twitter feed.

Who are you referring to?

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Who are you referring to?

Not you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Who's the hot blonde on TV3?

My opinion of TV3 footie coverage has just gone up a million fold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just saw the United line-up, surprised he's went with hernandez and not berbatov considering his form but them again it's only Rangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

THFC wrote: »
    Just saw the United line-up, surprised he's went with hernandez and not berbatov considering his form but them again it's only Rangers

Think he giving the fringe players the chance to shine tonight against a team they should beat

Who's the hot blonde on TV3?

My opinion of TV3 footie coverage has just gone up a million fold!

And then it goes back to Tony Cascarino.... *shudder*

*switches to Sky*

Jesus that Champions League music scared the sh*t out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Regardless of the result , I'm very happy seen that team considering everything ,Nice fresh young look ,

Those fifth officials or whatever they're called look like random punters from the crowd.

I've a feeling this is gonna be the pattern of the whole game. Rangers aiming long balls towards nobody and having it come right back at them.

I don't see the problem with that team at all personnell wise, it's just the lack of cohesion that'll come from so many of them not having a lot of game time under their belts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

On the team: if we dont get off to a good start it could get ropey

Oh and if valencia had a left foot he would be a genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Great header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Really like this team selection, i.e no berbatov, great attempt header from chico there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Really like this team selection, i.e no berbatov,

Why?

baz2009 wrote: »
    Why?

Coz i don't like him right;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

IvySlayer wrote: »
    What, will Scholes even play? Can he handle playing 90 on Saturday and tonight and the Liverpool match? Nahhh keep him fresh. Rooney should play some part

Kuszczak

Rafael --- Rio --- Smalling/Brown --- Fabio

Valencia --- Fletcher --- Gibson --- Park/Obertan

Rooney --- Hernandez

Subs: Amos, O'Shea, Evans/Brown, Park, Nani, Bébé, Macheda.

Is what I want to see.

I'm brilliant :cool:

• Advertisement

Really like this team selection, i.e no berbatov, great attempt header from chico there

Have you actually watched your team this season?

Berbatov has started the season extremely well. Has put in a shift from what I've seen of him thus far.

There's a stigma attached to Berbatov but he is trying to shake that off.

Need to stop reading the rags and form your own opinion of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Coz i don't like him right;)

Did you not see him against Newcastle? West Ham? Everton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He wasn't that good tbh...

Spuds up 2-0 :eek:

That_Guy wrote: »
    Have you actually watched your team this season?

Berbatov has started the season extremely well. Has put in a shift from what I've seen of him thus far.

There's a stigma attached to Berbatov but he is trying to shake that off.

Need to stop reading the rags and form your own opinion of him.
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    Did you not see him against Newcastle? West Ham? Everton?

Im not saying he hasnt had a good start to the season, i just dont like him as a player with his lazy attitude, thats all just dont like that type of striker, im sure there are some players ye just don't like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement