Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United vs Rangers. CL 14.09.2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

where was the fcking guile :confused::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

That's 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Did we even get a shot on target in the second half? Poor team selection from SAF, we needed much more creativity in the team when Rangers were always going to pack the defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I just woke up. Did I miss anything?

Valencia has a suspected broken leg. Rangers played 9-1-0 and we were shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

can ye play like that at the weekend please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

truly dissapointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

This defence of the team bothers me to be honest. The point is not that he has selected a poor 11 - it's that these players have very little experience playing together. Rio hasn't much match practice lately so it would have made sense for vidic to start with him. Ferguson takes these risks a lot and they always tend to bite him on the ass. This isn't the carling cup ffs.

I didn't mean the defence... Meant people defending the team selection. Ferguson has been at it for years. He's shown on too many occasions, a naive faith in his team. The fault for that result lies with the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Great possession but fcuk all in attack. They just pump it to the wings and cross it. United are seriously dull and predictable these days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

To be fair as a Rangers fan I am well aware of my teams limitations and I am also very happy with a point if we had went out and attacked we would have got murdered.

All the best to Valencia hope he recovers soon that looked nasty

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I really hope utd play the same way for their next match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

now I know how liverpool fans feel

Side splitting stuff :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

United should never have fielded "the reserves", its not a good way to start your campaign, shouldn't be assuming an easy three points against anyone.

Rangers though have been horrible to watch, any chance they get descended into a farcical "pass it back to keeper" approach, no matter where on the pitch they were. People are saying it was an 8-1-1, it was more a 9-0-1 with Miller up front picking up the ball and lumping it backwards.
    However they clearly set out for a draw and fair play they got it, but Jesus I would have had found more entertainment picking my nose for the 90 mins.

Uniteds finished was muck as well. Even with Rooney, Owen, Hernandez all on the pitch they could barely test McGregor. Rooney still looks like he's struggling badly, would have much preferred Berbs or even Macheda up there today, Rooney just looks half the player he used to be at the moment.

Hoping Valencia heals quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Also backed United @ 5/1 to NOT win tonight, great price.
    Hope you all followed me in. My €2 bet has come in big time :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Yea, but slagging Rangers off because they lined up so defensively is nonsense. They're the weaker team by a garden mile, have some of the least skilful players I have ever seen compete in this competition, and they're away from home. Of course they were going to play to their strengths.

Its nothing got to do with how they lined, I have no problems with teams coming to Old Trafford and playing for draws. If United aren't good enough to break them down, then fair play to the away team. But it was that specific situation - 2 on 2 with a chance to score late in the game, and they work the ball all the way back to their keeper. I don't care what mindset a team has, that's pretty damn sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I can't believe the away team played for a draw in the champions league.

I also can't believe that the home team's only tactic seemed to be to give it to Gibson so that he could try to score from 30 + yards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

now I know how liverpool fans feel
    That's what happens when you don't invest in the squad properly.;)
    You can thank your American owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I just woke up. Did I miss anything?

a united team built around darren gibson's ability to shoot from 25 yards out.

Darren Gibson's long range shot
    60% percent of the time it works every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Le King wrote: »

Rangers are a tripe team to watch.

in fairness both teams were tripe to watch tonight

We were pathetic. But if our selection was so poor why didn't Rangers have a go at us?

Rangers are a tripe team to watch.
    Your right they where away to one of the best sides in Europe. How dare Rangers not play a 3-4-3 formation and go for it.:rolleyes:

Hope you all followed me in. My €2 bet has come in big time :p
    Congrats.
    Coke and hookers?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

To be fair as a Rangers fan I am well aware of my teams limitations and I am also very happy with a point if we had went out and attacked we would have got murdered.

All the best to Valencia hope he recovers soon that looked nasty

Deserved point BBE, much as people might bleat on about defensive football, the only way Scottish teams can progress in Europe is to pick up away points.

Job done for the cardigan tonight. Man Yoo played right into their hands.

Who is this pipe merchant on tv3 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,145 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

These fuckin' emails and texts on TV3...christ....

...calls to suspend Rooney and everything...madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

God that was a shocking match, piss poor from both sides! How can either team expect to win the cl (sole purpose of being in the competition) if they play like that?! Just sh!te!!

Mister men wrote: »
    Our right they where away to one of the best sides in Europe. How dare Rangers not play a 3-4-3 formation and go for it.:rolleyes:

It was an argument to a poster saying our team selection were poor.

Nobody mentioned 3-4-3 but when you have the ball at your opponents 18 yard box with a 2v2 and pass it back to your keeper, then yeah, there is something wrong there.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Well earned point for Rangers who could have had a penalty too,i can't believe people are complaining about how Rangers set out either, mindboggling stuff.
    Thought they played quite well but United made it way to easy for them at times, lack of urgency was shocking at times. :mad:

Man of the match....Bleh.

1: Fabio
    2: PiG
    3: Gibson... Kinda got stuck for names at 1. :D

• Advertisement

God that was a shocking match, piss poor from both sides! How can either team expect to win the cl (sole purpose of being in the competition) if they play like that?! Just sh!te!!

think rangers just want to earn a few quid.

I still can't believe why Fergie didn't at least have Nani and Berba on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I have never been this angry after a united match. We were playing a bloody sh!te team at home and we couldnt even get some decent attempts in. The same attack time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Magnificent performance by the Glasgow Rangers. United shocking. Rangers have restored some much needed pride for the Scottish game following other clubs poor results this season. Delighted for Walter Smith, one of the gentlemen in the game.

For anyone complaining about Rangers tactics, dry your eyes. What do you expect them to do.

It was an argument to a poster saying our team selection were poor.

Nobody mentioned 3-4-3 but when you have the ball at your opponents 18 yard box with a 2v2 and pass it back to your keeper, then yeah, there is something wrong there.

:rolleyes:

I disagree. Rangers set out for a draw and got it. There's nothing wrong with that considering the standard of Scottish football is akin to the English 1st division imo.

• Advertisement

Shock result to say the least. Was expecting to see a 3 or 4 nil scoreline when I came in.

Don't Rangers have a 40 year old playing centre back?

More of the same on Sunday please :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

don't know if its been posted yet

looks truly accidental to me

pmcmahon wrote: »
    don't know if its been posted yet

looks truly accidental to me

Doubt anyone with any sense would say otherwise.Was a run of the mill basic tackle, he was unfortunate tis all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

d22ontour wrote: »
    Doubt anyone with any sense would say otherwise.Was a run of the mill basic tackle, he was unfortunate tis all.

Just as he rolls over with his leg in the air you can make out the break and it seems to have broke skin & sock ... Freakish accident and speedy recovery Valencia .

Brewster wrote: »
    Magnificent performance by the Glasgow Rangers. United shocking.Rangers have restored some much needed pride for the Scottish game following other clubs poor results this season. Delighted for Walter Smith, one of the gentlemen in the game.

For anyone complaining about Rangers tactics, dry your eyes. What do you expect them to do.

Agree with everything bar what's highlighted tbh.
    .Pride ? Would take a bit more than a draw in Europe to regain that for Scottish football. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

United always play sh*te in the opening CL games. Tonight was no different. I was expecting a snoozefest & I got it.

Kirstie on TV3 was the highlight of the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

don't forget MotM votes people, if you can be bothered after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

United always play sh*te in the opening CL games. Tonight was no different. I was expecting a snoozefest & I got it.

Kirstie on TV3 was the highlight of the evening.

She is no Sarah Jane Mee ;) quite nice all the same, not sure about the dress though, colour doesn't suit her :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Tonight was a dissapointing start to a boring early group stage. Give rangers their due, they defended well. But its not a disaster.

I was happy with smallings game, delighted that ferdinand got a good 90 minutes.

Valencia's injury was a sickener. Mediocre displays from park and rooney. Dissapointed anderson didn't get a runout.

A lot of changes to be made for sunday, i think the biggest decision for fergie is whether to play rooney or not, personnally i'd keep him on the bench

Highlights from a Utd point of view....

Clean sheet
    Rio back in the team
    did I mention the clean sheet :confused:
    The End

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

don't forget MotM votes people, if you can be bothered after that...

D. Weir

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

1 - ferdinand
    2 - smalling
    3 - charcarito

united supporter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

1 - ferdinand
    2 - smalling
    3 - charcarito

The game was so bad, you can only remember 3 of the players who played for United?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

who do you support?

Don't forget people, mention if you support Man United or not.

(votes re being counted anyway, but i want the info for stats reasons...)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

OPENROAD wrote: »
    She is no Sarah Jane Mee ;) quite nice all the same, not sure about the dress though, colour doesn't suit her :p

couldn't agree more, better off without it.

1/ Fletcher
    2/ Ferdinand
    3/ Smalling

support utd.

That was hard and I'm not sure how I would justify my selections.

1. Ferdinand
    2. Valencia
    3. Giggs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

1. Fletcher
    2. Gibson
    3. Smalling

United supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

1) Ferdinand
    2) Fletcher