Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United vs Rangers. CL 14.09.2010

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

1. Fletcher
    2. Gibson
    3. Smalling

Utd fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Le King wrote: »
    I certainly don't drink tea.

:eek:
    Irish me arse.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

jaykay74 wrote: »
    jew've lost me there :confused:

Jew want to involve yourself too?

United were ****e, and have been ****e all season. They defend solidly but are so unnattractive with their attacking football. I'm tired of it and want to see a world class playmaker in midfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

baz2009 wrote: »
    :eek:
    Irish me arse.:pac:

I only drink Whiskey laddie buck.
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Not angry at all, Rangers set their stall out well and we didn't really look like breaking them down at all. Kudos.

In more important matters, any news on Valencia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Motm::( Shocking that no player stands out.

Smalling - Seems to be getting better each game, did nothing wrong tonight.
    Gibson - Thought he did well, and of course was about our only goal threat.
    Giggs - You know it's bad when a sub is in with a chance, but he was the only player that wanted the ball, and had some composure with it, lifted his head up and tried to pick a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Jew want to involve yourself too?

:confused:
    United were ****e, and have been ****e all season. They defend solidly but are so unnattractive with their attacking football. I'm tired of it and want to see a world class playmaker in midfield

You sure you've been watching Utd this season. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

1. Fletcher
    2. Smalling
    3. Ferdinand

Chelsea fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Poor Match, Rangers came for the draw and MU couldn't break them down. Good to see Rio back playing and looking assured. Could have been a penalty either way for the handball when Giggs appealed and Smallings bad timing.

Real shame about Valencia's injury too. Reminded me a little of Busst's at Coventry. Wouldn't wish that on any player and you could see straight away from the Rangers players it is a bad un. Hope he's back playing soon.

MOTM... hard to be fair but here goes...

(1) Gibson - Goal threat.
    (2) Ferdinand - assured.
    (3) Giggs - Flair.

Leeds fan (Which means we must be better than Rangers ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What this man of the match thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

eagle eye wrote: »

I think Mitch details it all in the first post of the thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

eagle eye wrote: »

Read the 1st post. Its explained there.

Ok so its United's 3 best players tonight.

1. Darren Fletcher
    2. Darron Gibson
    3. Wes Brown

Not a United fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

The official MOTM will have to go to one of the Rangers lads, either Edu, McCullough or Papac, with McCullough just shading it. Broke up United attacks time and time again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

1. Smalling
    2. Fletcher
    3. Brown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

gibson
    smalling
    fletcher

not a utd fan

Brewster wrote: »
    The official MOTM will have to go to one of the Rangers lads, either Edu, McCullough or Papac, with McCullough just shading it. Broke up United attacks time and time again.
    I don't agree, the best player on the pitch by miles imo was Fletcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Celtic had one but the fans hounded him until he walked away. One of the reasons they criticised him was the style of football played despite the level of success he brought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

elius wrote: »
    Looking foward to watching Hernandez skin weir for pace:pac::pac::pac:

Sorry mate, i'm not picking on you...but this post jumped out. :D

An absolute masterclass from Uncle Davie & Co. in how to defend against a side who can rip you apart if you open up.

BRILLIANT result for Rangers tonight, absolutely brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

The result is disappointing, but the biggest disappointment of all is the injury. I hope Valencia makes a speedy recovery, awful to see any player injured like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Fletcher
    Smalling
    Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭goddevil

United Supporter

1. Gibson
    2. Fletcher
    3. Ferdinand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Couple of points regarding previous posts/discussions.

Rangers dont have a "40 year old playing centre half" - The have Davie Weir ;)

The 2 on 2 chance that we had towards the end of the game, involved Kyle Lafferty...we are lucky it didnt end with a goal to Utd in all fairness.

And playing defensively? How very dare we! It was absolutely hilarious listening to Andy Gray whine about our football tonight...we showed his belived "2 banks of 4" perfectly!

Oh yeah, and Giggsy? Its sad to see a legend on his knees begging for scraps like you did tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

United supporter:

Smalling
    Ferdinand
    Gibson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

United fan
    1 fletcher
    2 Gibson
    3 fabio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

1. Fletcher
    2. Ferdinand
    3. Gibson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You know when you have that angry feeling that subsides for a while after a match that doesn't go your way?

Well I've never felt that feeling last as long as it did tonight. In fact I still have that feeling. It didn't even last this long after the Bayern match last season.

Both the performance and the team selection. Fair enough with the first XI, but please have a strong bench just in case! Berbatov, Evra and Scholes shoulda been in there in my opinion.

Valencia. My poor, poor Valencia. I said straight away that it was broken/dislocated. I have this ridiculous fear of broken legs/bones and I can tell a mile away if it's broken or not (and then I run another mile away from it!). It makes me feel physically sick. I had tears in my eyes for the lad. Here's hoping it was a clean break and that it sets without any major problems.

Get well soon Tony!

Hernandez was fairly anonymous. I don't think himself and Rooney work too well together. He is definitely complimented by Berbatov's style of play.

And I'm fairly sure that there is two or three lads from the pub I was watching it in that think I'm well weird after all of my giving out.

Positives. Smalling was a ****ing rock. He wins headers, he uses the ball and put in a couple of good tackles. I said in an earlier post that he was the one I was worried about most. Well fair ****s to ya lad, you proved a point tonight. I hope he keeps moving with his progress, although I expect mistakes here and there as I do with any player.

Yay for Ferdinand! :D

1. Fletcher - he doesn't give up. He looks for the ball.
    2. Smalling - see my paragraph above
    3. Ferdinand - You'd never have thought he'd been out since before the world cup would ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

After the last 3 results , I think we will murder liverpool on sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

After the last 3 results , I think we will murder liverpool on sunday

after the last 3 performances I reckon it will be a boring draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Surprised at the number of No.1 votes Fletcher got. He broke play up very well tonight but I thought his passing was very poor last night. I know he wasn't the only one and it is hard to pick a best three out of last nights performance.

1. Rio - Great to see him back in the team and looked solid when called upon to do anything last night.
    2. Brown
    3. Smalling

Utd fan

Really hope Valencia's injury doesn't keep him out for too long and wish him a speedy recovery. Never nice to see in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

MUFC fan.

1. Gibson
    2. Rio
    3. Fletch

Generally, I don't think Gibson offers much, other than a fantastic shot, but in fairness he looked like the most likely last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Manutd fan.

Tough to pick three players from last night and Valencia injury capped a bad night all round. The next game in europe is going to be very tough.

1. Smalling
    2. Rio
    3. Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭secman

See Valencia is out for the season , sorry to hear this bad news, he had a fantastic first season and was I was really looking forward to his 2nd one.

On last night , why were we playing 4 central defenders at the back. They only had one player out of their half . We really needed attacking full backs to help get witdh into our play. When Giggs went on , he played wide for about 5 min , then he went inside !. Johnny Evans at left full, naturally turned inside to get ball on his right foot ! Evra would have made a huge difference. Anyways not playing a strong team backfired, so 3 wins are a must now. Hopefully pool won't park the bus across the box on Sunday !

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

secman wrote: »
    See Valencia is out for the season , sorry to hear this bad news, he had a fantastic first season and was I was really looking forward to his 2nd one.

On last night , why were we playing 4 central defenders at the back. They only had one player out of their half . We really needed attacking full backs to help get witdh into our play. When Giggs went on , he played wide for about 5 min , then he went inside !. Johnny Evans at left full, naturally turned inside to get ball on his right foot ! Evra would have made a huge difference. Anyways not playing a strong team backfired, so 3 wins are a must now. Hopefully pool won't park the bus across the box on Sunday !

Secman

Evans came on for Fabio towards the end..
    And I trust Brown at RB a lot more than I do at CB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

United Fan

1 Gibson for looking our most likely threat
    2 Smalling because he didnt put a foot wrong, great potential between him and Evans for the future
    3 Fletcher because of his usual workhorse attitude and never giving up, but mainly because I dont feel anyone else stood out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Lot of votes for Smalling here which I'm surprised at considering he could very easily have conceded a penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Spud83 wrote: »
    Lot of votes for Smalling here which I'm surprised at considering he could very easily have conceded a penalty.

I think it would have been a really harsh peno tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Well done The Rangers. :)

Fantastic defensive display i thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

1. Fletch

2. Brown

3. lil pea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

MOM -

Rio
    Gibson
    Smalling

really hard to pick, i would have rated alot of the players as a 6 or 7, nobody stood out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

MOTM - Weir, Broadfoot or VDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

MOTM - Weir, Broadfoot or VDS.

VDS didnt play and it was just picking from the United players to pick a player of the month on the superthread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

VW 1 wrote: »
    VDS didnt play
    Exactly.
    Reputation enhanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Way too hard to pick three decent United players last night. Gibson, Rio and Giggs when he came on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

1.Gibson
    2.Rio
    3.Fletcher

If Rooney doesnt hit form soon. We are in serious trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Very disappointing result and I'm gutted for Valencia. Could have done with a performance from Own Goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I have never been this angry after a united match. We were playing a bloody sh!te team at home and we couldnt even get some decent attempts in. The same attack time and time again.

I know you wanted United to hammer Rangers. Was never going to happen, Rangers may be limited Mussolini, but by goodness does Walter have them well drilled and organised. A point at home is not a disastrous result Mussolini, United will easily qualify with Valencia id imagine. There was definitely a lack of respect shown by some United fans to Rangers before the game. Rangers are a proud club and were backed by a couple thousand of the most loyal fans you will find anywhere in the world who outsung the United fans throughout the 90 mins. The Ibrox game will be something special in terms of atmosphere, United may need a result to secure top spot. Rangers gave a defending masterclass last night and a point a piece was the right result. Awful spectacle mind you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Calling the MotM vote for this.

Was going to post up the full vote table but I can't get tables to display, so I'll leave it.
    Overall Result:

1st - Fletcher 44 points.
    Joint 2nd - Ferdinand and Gibson 37points.

Next highest was Smalling with 32 points.

United Vote:

Joint 1st - Fletcher and Ferdinand.
    2nd - Gibson
    3rd - Smalling

Non-United Vote:

1st - Fletcher.
    2nd - Gibson.
    3rd - Smalling.

I have a feeling the votes for Sundays game will be FAR bigger and more irritating to compile!

Advertisement