Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary ban from after hours...

Options
  • 14-09-2010 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Hi bigneacy,

You have been banned from After Hours for the following duration:

3 Day(s)

for the following reason:

Abuse

Providing your ban is not permanent, it will be lifted automatically after 3 Day(s). You will get an automatic message informing you that the ban is lifted. If you do not receive this message after the allotted time, please PM a moderator to clarify.

Bans occur after a serious rules breach so please keep in mind that Moderators don't just decide to ban people out of the blue. If you wish to appeal this ban, please follow our Dispute Resolution Process here. Your first action should always be to PM the Moderator(s) of the forum to discuss the ban. Remember that our Mods are volunteers and are not always online, so they may not be able to answer you straight away.

All the best,
    boards.ie

I have no idea what I was banned for?! I PM'd him over 2.5 hours ago, and i've heard nothing back...

I was not being abusive on any forum. I may have been poking fun at the conspiracy guys but so was every other person on that forum, I certainly was in no way abusive to anybody.

I know its only 3 days but still, I really don't think I done anything to merit any sort of ban...
    Bans occur after a serious rules breach

I really don't think any rules breach took place, never mind a serious rules breach

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

You'll need to give someone more than a couple of hours to respond to your original PM.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I haven't been online all day hence the lack of a reply. This is the post you were banned for (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67976060#post67976060).

bigneacy wrote: »
    I can't help but thinking this person probably pronouced "retarded" the same as Alan from The Hangover.... alan-rainman.jpg

He just strikes me as a similar person to him.... Ya know, incredibly dense, thinks everything is a conspiracy.

Calling someone dense is abusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

dense?

you'd barely get so much as a blink from a teacher in preschool for calling somebody dense?! is that really enough to merit a 3 day ban? because I called him dense. you could have deleted the post, warned me.

Its barely a breach of the rules, never mind a serious breach.

I've seen so much worse on nearly every single forum on boards.ie not even getting a second thought. I called him dense so I get banned?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

bigneacy you singled out a poster for the sole purpose of abusing him - and it is abuse when you call someone dense, just as it would be if you called them stupid or an idiot. It's not barely a rule-breach, it's a clear cut rule-breach.

"the other guys were poking fun at them too" isn't a defense or a justification, that's what the report post function is for.

The ban was justified and remains as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

But given that I have never had a warning from any mod on this site, never gotten an infraction, never gotten a ban, never once crossed the line - couldn't it have been dealt with easier - a pm warning - snipped - deleted - infraction?

I know its only a 3 day ban but its very heavy handed for what it was. Its not like I went mad and called him every name under the sun, I called him dense. I didn't even - I compared him to someone who was dense and I got banned?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Moderators aren't obliged to give warnings and infractions prior to a ban - and abuse towards other posters is taken seriously across the whole site - it's something that will very often likely result in an immediate ban.

In this case direct abuse warranted a direct ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

For what it's worth ... I concur with g'em

Look look over your posts in After Hours, and compare them with your posts in the other forums you frequent ... do you see a difference ?

Advertisement