Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

African Grey cage cleaning

Options
  • 14-09-2010 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice on cleaning the cage of my Dads African Grey. I got a spray from the petshop yesterday to clean the cage but it was quite expensive and therefore my dad is reluctant to use too much of. It also smells quite strong and although I'm sure it's fine (they wouldn't have recommended it otherwise would they?) I figured there must be some sort of natural cleaner we can use?

Does anyone have any suggestions for us? I did suggest borrowing a steam cleaner from a friend but we are worried the heat could damage the metal?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some pet shop cleaners are very harsh and pet birds are very sensative to some cleaners etc. so you're right the more natural the better.

Try neat cheap white vinegar it works brilliantly on bird poop, leave the vinegar to soak in for a while then wipe with kitchen paper.
    If using the vinegar on the bars or any metal parts of the cage after you wipe the poop off give the bars a wipe over with plain water on kitchen roll just in case the vinegar eats in to the metal.

This is so cheap and perfectly safe to use around the bird and great for cleaning the toys as well.

Steam cleaner could work as well don't think it would damage the metal.

There's also another product called poop off you can get it from the Northern Parrots website and it's brilliant stuff, you can use the wipes or bottle with brush.
    Saying that I've only had budgie and cockatiel poop to deal with but I have found vinegar does the job just as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gernoonangn

power hose it, it will get rid of all the mess thats on it, thats what i do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Warm soapy water

I used to bring the cage outside to the back garden and throw multiple basins of hot water over it. The heat in the water will remove the parrot droppings handy enough if you give it time. Then just go over it with an old cloth and wipe the crap from the bars. Simple but effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Spray warm soapy water and then pressure wash it.

'cptr

Advertisement