Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athletic Bilbao Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

• 14-09-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭

I doubt very much there is many people interested in this thread but i tought we could do with more than just the 1 Spanish Team thread.

I'll just fill in a little on the club, stuff maybe some people don't know about Athletic Bilbao, aka Athletic Club or Athletic.

The Cantera Policy
    The club is known for its cantera policy of bringing young Basque players through the ranks, as well as recruiting top Basque players from other clubs. Athletic official policy is signing professional players native to the greater Basque country. Still, in recent times, this policy has been somewhat relaxed and players with direct Basque ancestry or with no Basque ancestry but formed in Basque clubs have played for the team.
    Since 1912 Athletic Bilbao have employed a cantera policy. One of the main beneficiaries of the policy has been the national team. Athletic has provided numerous players for it, second only to Real Madrid. Athletic along with Real Madrid and Barcelona are the only 3 clubs never to be relegated from the top flight of Spanish football, in the 90's a poll of supporters showed that they would rather be relegated than give up the cantera policy.
    Francisco Yeste is probably the most notable product of recent times, but the last couple of seasons have seen the emergence of players like Markel Susaeta, Ander Iturraspe and 17-year-old wonderkid Iker Muniain (Muniain is definatley a player people should look out for in the future, he will be a star)
    I have not been supporting this club for too long so if any information is incorrect please feel free to correct me.

What do people think of this? Would you like your club to have a similar policy? Would you give up success for such an identity?

For more info. on the club and to see how they are doing follow the links below;

Up to date results and stats on ESPN - http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=93&cc=5739

Official Club Website - http://www.athletic-club.net/web/main.asp?a=2&b=1&c=1&d=0&idi=2

Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_Bilbao

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Away to Sprting Gijon this weekend, should be a good game, both teams on 3 points after 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I've been to the San Mames, didn't get to see a match unfortunately. Just had a bit of a look around the outside and a quick look around the museum and the plans for the new stadium.

Hoping for a big season from Javi Martinez. Was delighted when both him and Llorente were picked for the Spanish squad.

Should be picking up the new Bilbao jersey with Javi Martinez on the back in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

Morf wrote: »
    I've been to the San Mames, didn't get to see a match unfortunately. Just had a bit of a look around the outside and a quick look around the museum and the plans for the new stadium.

Hoping for a big season from Javi Martinez. Was delighted when both him and Llorente were picked for the Spanish squad.

Should be picking up the new Bilbao jersey with Javi Martinez on the back in the near future.

The plans for the new stadium look very good, i'm sure they won't have much trouble generating the same kind of atmosphere in the new stadium.

I can see Martinez having a good season, he is that bit more experienced now and a few nice players around him this season too.

I think i'll be getting Muniain on the back of a jersey pretty soon too :)

xtal191 wrote: »

There cool, that black one is very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

xtal191 wrote: »

Nice. I have the jersey they wore in the final against Barcelona last year. Was got last easter when my partners parents were there in Bilboa for a break. One of my favorite jerseys I own.

http://footballfashion.wordpress.com/2009/04/20/athletic-bilbao-200809-copa-del-rey-final-kit-jersey-camiseta/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

MOG7 wrote: »
    There cool, that black one is very nice.

Its the same top, its reversible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Very interesting club, I like seeing them do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

No mention of the famously gorgeous Ladies Team? ;)

http://www.athletic-club.net/web/main.asp?a=5&b=2&c=0&d=0&idi=2

The quality of the 1st team has actually gone up a bit this year, but there's the 2nd team, no.'s 4 & 12 definitely vying for the 'bloke in a wig' prize this year.

The quality of the 1st team has actually gone up a bit this year, but there's the 2nd team, no.'s 4 & 12 definitely vying for the 'bloke in a wig' prize this year.

Jeez no.'s 4 and 12 are definatley quiet scary, i wonder are on of them on the Spain u17's, just seen them playing there a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Went to see Bilbao at home versus Villarreal last season... Great match. Always had a soft spot for Bilbao. Always look out for their results..

Great club and a great history.

Saturday, 18 September 2010
    Sporting Gijon v Athletic Bilbao, 19:00 - Live Sky Sports 4

Both teams with a win and a loss in there first 2 games, i'd probably take a draw now but hopefully we can steal it, it should be a good game.

Match on Sky Sports 4 now, good start to the game already.

Athletic team vs Sporting

1Gorka Iraizoz (G)5Fernando Amorebieta (CD-L)6Mikel San Jose (CD-R)29Jon Aurtenetxe (LB)15Andoni Iraola (RB)16Pablo Orbáiz (LM)24Javi Martínez (RM)9Fernando Llorente (F)26Igor Martínez Caseras (RCF)11Igor Gabilondo (AM-L)18Carlos Gurpegui (AM-R)

Muniain injured so we won't get to see him tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Ah Yasmin, the female equivalent to Carles Puyol. :p

2-0 down already, not a good start at all at all.

2-1 now, what a great match!

Missed the game, got to see they got back from 2-0 down to draw.

Missed the game, got to see they got back from 2-0 down to draw.

Very open game too, they had a couple chances to steel all 3 points, not a bad result though. Javi Martinez seemed to be caught off side so many times, Igor Martinez sooks like a very good player though, some really nice players through out the team.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm in two minds about the cantera policy - it's always good to see local talent come up through the ranks, but it is overtly racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Awlays had a place in my heart for Athletic Bilbao since reading a book when i was in my teens about the Spanish Civil war and the way the club where treated in the years even afterwards.Always look out for their results hoping they at least survive the annual relegation fight that they have been involved the last number of years.Also have high regard for the Basque way of life and their struggle for recognition in Spain.Not to mention Its a club steeped in history and tradition and hope to go over and see them playing sometime hopefully this season. Will be checking back to this thread regulalry to see whats happening and hopefully "we" can a few more interested fans posting .

Venceremos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

I'm in two minds about the cantera policy - it's always good to see local talent come up through the ranks, but it is overtly racist.

Rascist for wanting to maintain tradition and culture of a Club and country that is slowly getting eroded daily by the capitalists in Madrid

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

dekbhoy wrote: »
    Rascist for wanting to maintain tradition and culture of a Club and country that is slowly getting eroded daily by the capitalists in Madrid

Yes, a racist tradition, no matter what way you slice it.

You should see how racist the Madrid people are. They deny the Basque country and culture even exist.

2-0 up against Mallorca with the game nearly over. Goals from David Lopez and Mikel San Jose. Good start to the season so far.

Saturday, 25 September 2010
    Athletic Bilbao v Barcelona, 21:00 - Live Sky Sports 3

athletic-bilbao-logo-09.jpg V Fc-Barcelona-wallpaper-22-256x256.jpg&t=1

Should be a very good game, two of my favorite teams in the League so as much as i want Athletic to win i don't want Barca to drop points this early in the season. Hopefully Real will mess up away to Levante and then i can shout for Athletic fully without feeling guilty :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Will be a tough match.

Bilbao shown some good form thus far.

San Mamés is always a difficult place to go.

Hopefully Barca come away with the points mind.

Just looking over the stats and Messi really is a big loss

Six apps - Seven goals and three assists he has contributed already this campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

did i read somewhere that athletico were messi's favourite team to play against ie scored more+ assisted more VS them than anyone? could be wrong on this though

love the club for their cantera policy (would any club in england stayed in the top league doing the same?) and the jersey too

Gameweek 5

93.gif Athletic Bilbao 1 - 3 Barcelona 83.gif

Starting Line ups;
    Athletic Bilbao -
    1Gorka Iraizoz(G) 5Fernando Amorebieta(CD-L) 6Mikel San Jose(CD-R) 29Jon Aurtenetxe(LB) 15Andoni Iraola(RB) 16Pablo Orbáiz(LM) 24Javi Martínez(RM) 9Fernando Llorente(F) 26Igor Martínez Caseras(RCF) 11Igor Gabilondo(AM-L) 18Carlos Gurpegui(AM-R)

Barcelona - 1Victor Valdés(G) 5Carles Puyol(CD-L) 3Gerard Piqué(CD-R) 21Adriano(LB) 2Dani Alves(RB) 16Sergio Busquets(CM) 15Seydou Keita(LM) 6Xavi(RM) 8Andrés Iniesta(F) 7David Villa(LF) 17Pedro(RF)

Substitutions;
    Athletic Bilbao -
    Oscar for Igor Martínez Caseras(45) , Aitor Ocio for Pablo Orbáiz(45) , Ander Iturraspe for Fernando Llorente(68)

Barcelona -
    Maxwell for Adriano(45) , Bojan Krkic for Xavi(82) , Thiago for Andrés Iniesta(82)

Goals;
    Seydou Keita (55) 0-1
    Xavi (74) 0-2
    Igor Gabilondo (90) 1-2
    Sergio Busquets (90) 1-3

Bookings;
    Fernando Aborebieta (34) Red Card
    Gerard Pique (59) Yellow
    Jon Aurtenetxe (81) Yellow
    David Villa (87) Red

I wasn't watching but i could hear the game from the other room.

It was over as a tie once the red card occurred.

• Advertisement

Gerry Armstrong has an absolute mondo-boner for Igor Martinez. He's impressed me alot every time I've seen him, lots of pace. Pity nobody was coming up to support him when he made any good runs with the ball.

Bilbao have a very very strong team this season, and it's nice that over the past few seasons they no longer are engrossed in a big relegation dog fight, as they are a team with massive history and a fantastic fanbase.

Still though, I disagree with their policy of only allowing players with Basque ancestry play for them, I actually quite prejudice and xenophobic, rather than commendable like the rest of the world seems to view it.

Javi Martinez is going to play for Barca someday, I can feel it! :p

eZe^ wrote: »
    Gerry Armstrong has an absolute mondo-boner for Igor Martinez. He's impressed me alot every time I've seen him, lots of pace. Pity nobody was coming up to support him when he made any good runs with the ball.

Bilbao have a very very strong team this season, and it's nice that over the past few seasons they no longer are engrossed in a big relegation dog fight, as they are a team with massive history and a fantastic fanbase.

Still though, I disagree with their policy of only allowing players with Basque ancestry play for them, I actually quite prejudice and xenophobic, rather than commendable like the rest of the world seems to view it.

Javi Martinez is going to play for Barca someday, I can feel it! :p

Martinez is going to Real. I feel it in my waters. Perhaps he grew up on the same street as Arteta and Xabi Alonso! ;)

Sky Sports 4, Kick-off 9.00pm

94.gif Valencia v Athletic Bilbao 93.gif

Another very tough game tonight. Should be a good game to watch, hopefully Valencia will have a bit of a CL hangover.

MOG7 wrote: »
    Another very tough game tonight. Should be a good game to watch, hopefully Valencia will have a bit of a CL hangover.

Agreed, come on Atheltic! :)

Team line-ups;

Valencia
    1César (G)4David Navarro (CD-L)20Ricardo Costa (CD-R)28Jordi Alba (LB)17Marius Stankevicius (RB)5Mehmet Topal (CM-L)18Manuel Fernandes (CM-R)10Juan Mata (LM)19Pablo (RM)9Roberto Soldado (CF-L)11Aritz Aduriz (CF-R)

Valencia Substitutes
    14Vicente (SUB)2Bruno (SUB)25Miguel Moya (SUB)22Jérémy Mathieu (SUB)8Alejandro Damian Dominguez (SUB)12Sofiane Feghouli (SUB)24Alberto Costa (SUB)

Athletic Bilbao 1Gorka Iraizoz (G)6Mikel San Jose (CD-L)4Aldekoaotalora Ustaritz (CD-R)15Andoni Iraola (LB)29Jon Aurtenetxe (RB)16Pablo Orbáiz (LM)24Javi Martínez (RM)9Fernando Llorente (F)26Igor Martínez Caseras (RCF)11Igor Gabilondo (AM-L)18Carlos Gurpegui (AM-R)

Athletic Bilbao Substitutes
    20Aitor Ocio (SUB)7David López (SUB)14Susaeta (SUB)2Gaizka Toquero (SUB)27Muniaín (SUB)30Aitor Fernández (SUB)28Ibai Gomez (SUB)

Com' on Athletic! :)

• Advertisement

Half Time;

Valencia 1 - 0 Athletic Bilbao

Ex Athgletic player Aduriz with the goal, Valencia are looking dangerous with Aduriz and Soldado up front, Pablo Hernandez and Mata are causing some headaches too.

Athletic still very much in the game, they finished the 1st half very well with a couple decent chances. A few options on the bench too for the second half.

Muniain on for Javi Martinez! :D

Full time Score
    2nd October 2010

94.gif Valencia 2 - 1 Athletic Bilbao 93.gif

Good game, we really deserved more on our second half performance, it was all Athletico, Vicente score in the 91st minute to make it 2-0, Athletic were just caught badly on the counter attack. Llorente really needed some better crosses in for him, he really is a class act though. Muniain played good when he came on, very direct, strong and skillful, Gabilondo got a consilation goal in extra time too.

With Zaragoza (H), Sevilla (A) and Getafe (H) in our next three games i think we might be able to grab 7 points it will make up for our last 2 games. Performing well though at the minute, hopefully we can keep it up and puch for a European place this season.

Arsenal and Barca both interested in Iraizoz, not greta news as he is in top form for us lately, hopefully we can hold onto him for the rest of the season, i'm not really sire what our back-up keepers are like.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/10/06/2153708/barcelona-arsenal-set-to-battle-for-athletic-bilbao

Javi Martinez has been linked with Liverpool and Man U despite the fact they have no money to spend. I imagine it's just a random transfer rumour generator.

Player has good game + big premiership club + transfer fee plucked out of thin air = Ceefax page 338 tomorrow.

• Advertisement

2 goals for Llorente last night for Spain, if he could get a bit more service like this at Athletic we'd be laughing. 6 goals for him for Spain in his 11 caps i a nice record.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/52570/spain-vs-lithuania/report

Delighted for him.

The problem Del Bosque has is that almost every new striker he's tried has scored on their debut and scored regularly any time they featured.

I still prefer Llorente even if it is just as an impact sub.

Game week 7 - October 17th

93.gif Athletic Bilbao 2 - 1 Real Zaragoza 91.gif

Goals
    Iraola (11) 1-0
    Llorente (23) 2-0

Braulio (90)2-1Not the greatest game to watch really but it was most important to get the result more than anything after the last 2 games. Some very good performances tonight too.

I saw the second half. It was pretty poor.

Game Week 8

Sevilla 4 - 3 Athletic Bilbao

How the linesman gave that 2nd penalty for Sevilla i will never know, truly terrible decision at such an important time of the match. I only seen the 2nd half thanks to Andy Gray but it was a brilliant game, end to end stuff.

Also to follow Athletic on Twitter there is an English version updated pretty regular http://twitter.com/#!/Athletic_eng

I watched part of the second half, I gave up on about 88 mins with it 4-2. Annoyed i missed a goal now.

Javi Martinez did very well for the last goal, he has a ver surprising turn of pace for someone so tall, good finish by Gabilondo too iirc.

I haven't updated this thread in a while, been a hard few weeks for Athletic.

Gameweek 9 - October 31st

93.gif Athletic Bilbao 3 - 0 Getafe 2922.gif

Goals;
    Iraola
    San Jose
    Gabilondo

Gameweek 10 - November 7th

102.gif Villarreal 4 - 1 Athletic Bilbao 93.gif

Goals;
    Llorente

Nilmar
    Cazorla
    Rossi
    Montero

Gameweek 11 - November 13th

93.gif Athletic Bilbao 1 - 0 Almeria 6832.gif

Goals;
    Llorente

Gameweek 12 - November 20th

86.gif Real Madrid 5 - 1 Athletic Bilbao 93.gif

Goals;
    Llorente Higuain
    Ronaldo
    Ramos
    Ronaldo
    Ronaldo

Some dodgy decisions given to Real but we never looked like getting anything from the game. Llorente on 9 goals this season has him as 3rd highest in the league behind CR and Messi, i feel its only a matter of time before a big big club comes in for him.

Osasuna at home this Sunday, 10th vs 11th, we need 3 points here again pretty badly.

I doubt they like the fact Sociedad are ahead of them. I quite like Sociedad too though.

I doubt they like the fact Sociedad are ahead of them. I quite like Sociedad too though.

Tonight at 8

89.gif Real Sociedad v Athletic Bilbao 93.gif

Both teams start the game on 19 points and the winner will move to 6th in the table, should be a very good game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement