Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacement for 3.1 trooper

• 14-09-2010 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭

Hello All

I was wondering if anyine could give me some advice. My father is currently looking to replace a 1995 3.1 trooper commercial (new fuel tank, new belts, custom wood floor inside, nice alloys, fully rust proofed under neath, custom rod racks in the roof and excellent condition and only looking for just over a grand if anyone is interested :) ).

He has just retired and has no use for such a big jeep now and he wont be working so the tax would be a bit too high now anyway.

So he is looking to sell the tropper and his avensis and get one vehicle to do the jobs he needs. We do tow a smallish boat + trailer (GVM 750kgs) so something with decent ground clearance and 4 x 4 or awd for ocassional launching on semi-slippy slipways is needed.

What we are looking for:

Something around 2 - 2.2 litre (would go to 2.5 for a really nice example)
    Passenger
    4 x 4 or AWD
    Diesel ideally but would consider petrol
    Budget up to around 3.5k
    Would like to get a post 2000+ but 1999 or so is fine too once the mileage/condition is not too bad

The potential models I have been thinking of so far are the following:

Subaru Forrester
    Opel Frontera
    Hyundai Santa Fe
    Suzuki Grand Vitara
    Toyota Rav 4
    Nissan x trail
    Kia sportage
    Honda CRV (are they AWD?)

I would really apprecite any thoughts on the above models or suggestions of others or any directions to nice examples?

Thanks

Adam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

The Forrester will be only be available in petrol I think.
    Forget the Frontera, awful vehicle and nearly as big as a Trooper
    Honda CRV will a bit too much of a soft roader

The rest will all do the job for you. There are others, late Freelander Td4, Volvo XC and then like but they are all out of you budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

As seen on the Bangernomics thread:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1429004

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Thanks for the replies. Heard the fronteras were not great, are they that bad.

Forester is an option as he wont be putting much mileage on it so petrol is ok.

Didn't realise there was a a 4wd version of the V70 estate, looks a bargain but parts could be expansive. The later XC70 4x4 models were what I was refering to.

The Subaru is very well regarded in the UK, great petrol engine which will have gone against it here, they've only recently started making diesels.

Fronteras are just plain horrible, a rebadged Isuzu throwback to the 80s and never updated

• Advertisement

Yes I was wondering why they were so cheap. They are rebadged Isuzu MU`s arent they?

How are the 1998-2004 freelander diesels? I know the petrols tend to blow gaskets but are the diesels in anyway good. He could stretch the budget a little maybe if needed, I could throw in a bit too as might get use out of it.

Late production Td4 Freelanders are good but you have to be careful you don't get one with a damaged 4wd system due to owner ignorance (do a search on recent Freelander posts)

Yes, Frontera is a rebadged Isuzu Mu (Mysterious Utility in the strange Japanese way of naming vehicles!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I'm gonna step up and defend the frontera.

The post 99 B series is not a bad truck at all.

Parts prices are a bit high, but they're the smallest big truck you can get, are quite comfortable and refined, and I averaged 36mpg over 40k in mine.

The original was awful, but despite what 101sean says they were updated to a kinda mk 1.5 version which was better, and then the mk2 was better again.

Much nicer on road than a series 1 disco, havent spent much time driving a series 2 disco, but I'd say comparable from what I can remember.

However it's probably not ideal to his needs, something smaller would probably do. I'd say if he wants to stay in a jeep then get a vitara, if he wants a car then I'd definitely consider the subaru, but they are kinda thirsty. non turbo will struggle to make 30mpg, turbo might make 25 if grannied. but 22 is a more normal figure.

They're also pretty small inside, all of which is a pity as I've driven a few turbos and they're lovely yokes altogether

Was a bit harsh on the Frontera I suppose, still wouldn't be seen dead in one :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 urtooky

Grand Vitara .. Is just the job.. Bought a 99 one last week and it's brilliant. Had it in the mud wednesday night and not a bother to it. Only 2 ltr so tax is okish and it runs on the smell of diesel. Only thing to watch for is the clutch. Make sure it does not feel odd as the fork bends at about 100k - replacement is about 70 euro..

Thanks for all the advice

We have narrowed it down to a freelander TD4, Grand Vitara, Forester or Frontera (if he wants to go the cheap short term route). But the first three are most likley

Put the trooper on Donedeal last night at 10 and he had five calls by midnight so it should be gone soon.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Its gone now so think I am ok to put the link in

http://www.donedeal.ie/sold/commercials/1565899

Just looking for the replacement now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well done on the quick sale. I'm not surprised, it looks very clean and was cheap.

Advertisement