Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Upgrading to a Slim

• 14-09-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about selling my old 20gb xbox, and getting a new one, what are the steps needed to transfer gamertag, game saves etc to the new one? I'll be waiting a few weeks between the old and new one. There's not really any other data I want off the HDD.

Can I just plug in a USB stick and copy everything I need onto that? Never done this before, so I've no idea what to do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yup, if you have a usb key big enough, it's a simple as transferring everything to that and then back onto the new console.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Yup, if you have a usb key big enough, it's a simple as transferring everything to that and then back onto the new console.

Well that saves a lot of hassle. How about the gamertag, do I have to stop it signing into the tag on that console, or will it do everything itself when I recover the tag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I'd transfer the profile across using the memory card too if I were you, faster then recovering to a new console. Make sure you have everything across as your new xbox will not be able to use your current hard drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Trade your old x box into gamestop for €80 notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

bryaner wrote: »

Not for a 20 GB anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

bryaner wrote: »

Is there even such a thing as a €80 note?! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

jenno86 wrote: »
    Is there even such a thing as a €80 note?! :pac:

Just cut the edge off a €100 note.

As for the transfer, upgraded on Sunday meself. Watch out, when you turn on the new 360 first time it has the preferences settings pop up and no place to copy over your GT from a USB stick, since you need to sign into an account to get access to the memory settings page so recovering your Gt might be easier as I found no option to download from the USB stick that I plugged in. it also seems to copy all the licences for XBLA games after Recovering as I didnt have to download any yet.

As for copying files, in the memory settings page, press Y on your old HD and choose "Transfer Content", this opens a list of everything, how much it will take, the room available on the other drive and the option to deselect items for transfer. It wasnt till the second round of transfers I noticed this :mad:, almost an hour of copying files manually :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i jsut got the cable and traded it back in! ....but i did have about 80gb of data to transfer so just saved hassle

then just loginto live on the new machine and recorver gamertag.... but as for 20gb... shouldn be handy enough to transfer with usb sticks

Advertisement