Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands a total bargain at the moment compared to Germany and Holland

Options
  • 14-09-2010 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭

Health insurance

Germany
    2700 euros / year
    Netherlands:
    1100 / year
    Ireland
    720 / year

Car Tax - 2 Litre Diesel

Germany
    380 / year
    Holland
    1246/year
    Ireland
    526/year (Old system)

Hotels
    Irelands the cheapest in the EU at the moment, you can get a decent hotel for 80-90 euros a night, some cities in Germany you wouldn't get a decent hostel for that.

Beer is around 4.80 / 500mls in a pub in NL: at the moment, Germany is about 4 euros / 500mls.

Car Insurance, can't really compare, have Dutch plates and you insure the car and not the person.

Taxes are much lower in Ireland too, work in Germany or Holland basically divide your wages in Half.

Public transport is also a bit cheaper in Ireland IMO. Trains definitely and buses are usually a rip off in Germany and the Netherlands unless your travelling a decent distance.

Anyone else have any experience comparing Ireland to another Developed EU Country with the same currency ?

City Taxes in Holland are also a pain ... 580 euros / year in Brabant for a 2 bed house :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Health insurance

Germany
    2700 euros / year
    Netherlands:
    1100 / year
    Ireland
    720 / year

Vs. Standard of Healthcare
    Car Tax - 2 Litre Diesel

Germany
    380 / year
    Holland
    1246/year
    Ireland
    526/year (Old system)

Vs. Standards of Roads :rolleyes: Oh, and VRT.
    Hotels
    Irelands the cheapest in the EU at the moment, you can get a decent hotel for 80-90 euros a night,

Because the majority of them are now working for NAMA - we're indirectly paying for the ''savings'', don't you worry.
    some cities in Germany you wouldn't get a decent hostel for that.

Which cities would this be in out of interest?
    Taxes are much lower in Ireland too, work in Germany or Holland basically divide your wages in Half.

Add on various pension levies, public sector levy etc.... Also VAT is higher in Ireland than in the other countries
    Holland - Standard Rate 19%, Reduced Rate 6%
    Germany - 19%, Reduced Rate 7%
    Ireland - Standard Rate 21%, Reduced Rate 13.5%

Indirect taxation is our big concern imo.
    Public transport is also a bit cheaper in Ireland IMO. Trains definitely and buses are usually a rip off in Germany and the Netherlands unless your travelling a decent distance.

Trams in say Berlin/Dublin are about the same. Bus and DART services are also about the same, bar for the fact that German and Dutch Public transport are much more punctual and run for far later.

City Taxes in Holland are also a pain ... 580 euros / year in Brabant for a 2 bed house :(

What do City Taxes incorporate? Water/Waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Vs. Standard of Healthcare

Healthcare in Ireland is above Germany IMO, Holland is a little bit better, Private Health Insurance is a legal requirement in Germany and the Netherlands.
    Vs. Standards of Roads :rolleyes: Oh, and VRT.
    Holland has BPM Tax which is actually higher than VRT (anything upto 50%) a Bugatti Veyron is 1.8 Million euros in the Netherlands, .8 million of that is BPM Tax.

Standard of German roads in Nordrhein-Westfalen is appauling, Irish roads are miles ahead, Autobahn would rattle the teeth out of your head in alot of places.
    In order of quality i'd say Holland, Ireland and then Germany at the bottom.
    Because the majority of them are now working for NAMA - we're indirectly paying for the ''savings'', don't you worry.

Regardless. Still a bargain !
    Which cities would this be in out of interest?
    Duessledorf, Cologne, Duisberg, Essen, Frankfurt ... Basically anywhere in NRW.
    Add on various pension levies, public sector levy etc.... Also VAT is higher in Ireland than in the other countries
    Holland - Standard Rate 19%, Reduced Rate 6%
    Germany - 19%, Reduced Rate 7%
    Ireland - Standard Rate 21%, Reduced Rate 13.5%

Indirect taxation is our big concern imo.
    Sorry, that argument would fly if goods and services were not cheaper in Ireland :)
    Trams in say Berlin/Dublin are about the same. Bus and DART services are also about the same, bar for the fact that German and Dutch Public transport are much more punctual and run for far later.
    Berlin isn't a fair comparison, it heavily subsidised, huge unemployment and a wagon load of vacant accomodation makes it a cheap city to visit, but thats where it stops.
    NRW or Bayern
    A standard 'A' Transport ticket is 2.40 and is the same price for 3 stops as 10, hence if you travel a short distance its a rip.

In the Netherlands an Nationaal Strippenkaart is 1.75 / zone. A zone is usually about 3 stops also.
    What do City Taxes incorporate? Water/Waste?

Waste and other services, i.e. Park Maintenence/Lights etc.
    Water is metered and you pay a seperate charge for the infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

On the other hand, you don't get robbed in German supermarkets like REWE etc etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

anyone know the price of a bigmac in each of these countries thats generally used as a way of comparing prices in countries the "big mac index" im just back from the netherlands and was shocked to see the price of petrol as high as 1.50 a litre in some motorway service stations diesel was slightly cheaper than ireland at around 118-120 per litre,the cheapest pint in amsterdam seemed to be 5.00 nowhere seemed to have any promotions or student prices etc,and the amsterdam city sightseeing tour cost 20.00 for an adult and 15.00 for a child where in dublin it costs 16.00 + 2 free children included

ejmaztec wrote: »
    On the other hand, you don't get robbed in German supermarkets like REWE etc etc etc.

Depends on what your buying,
    Beer = Cheap
    Beef = Not Cheap.

Hard to compare but we spend around the same on a shop as we did in Ireland (except for booze of course)

Plus 24 hour convenience stores don't exist (Tesco, Spar, Londis, Super Valu etc) :)

Longest opening hours i've seen out of either country is an Albert Heijn XL
    Monday to Friday 8am - 10pm.
    Sat 10-8.
    Sunday 2pm - 8pm.

• Advertisement

triple-M wrote: »
    anyone know the price of a bigmac in each of these countries thats generally used as a way of comparing prices in countries the "big mac index" im just back from the netherlands and was shocked to see the price of petrol as high as 1.50 a litre in some motorway service stations diesel was slightly cheaper than ireland at around 118-120 per litre,the cheapest pint in amsterdam seemed to be 5.00 nowhere seemed to have any promotions or student prices etc,and the amsterdam city sightseeing tour cost 20.00 for an adult and 15.00 for a child where in dublin it costs 16.00 + 2 free children included

Have no clue about McDonalds, don't really eat the food.

Yup in NL, Petrol is between 1.48 and 1.55 a liter Diesel is between 1.15 and 1.24 a litre (Depending on where you get it)

Germany, Petrol is around the same but Diesel is a little bit more expensive (Between 1.20 and 1.30)

Amsterdam is pretty expensive though !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Hotels
    Irelands the cheapest in the EU at the moment, you can get a decent hotel for 80-90 euros a night, some cities in Germany you wouldn't get a decent hostel for that. ...
    Do you work for some Irish tourist body?

This year I have stayed in some very, very good hotels in Germany, Austria, France Italy and Spain for a lot less than that, with wonderful facilities, friendly staff and nice rooms. I have had Irish hotels refuse me a room for a single night (minimum 2 night booking) at higher prices than that. I have stayed in some unbelievably badly built, badly run, poorly staffed dirty dives in Ireland and have paid more than that.

Do you have any connection with the hotel spin-doctor who was on the wireless yesterday spouting about the Irish hospitality industry offering great value, comparable with the best in the world, or some such nonsense?

mathepac wrote: »
    Do you work for some Irish tourist body?

This year I have stayed in some very, very good hotels in Germany, Austria, France Italy and Spain for a lot less than that, with wonderful facilities, friendly staff and nice rooms. I have had Irish hotels refuse me a room for a single night (minimum 2 night booking) at higher prices than that. I have stayed in some unbelievably badly built, badly run, poorly staffed dirty dives in Ireland and have paid more than that.

Do you have any connection with the hotel spin-doctor who was on the wireless yesterday spouting about the Irish hospitality industry offering great value, comparable with the best in the world, or some such nonsense?

No, I live in the Netherlands and Work in Germany.
    Bit of a generalisation there, I've stayed in some nice hotels in Ireland and some sh*t hotels in Ireland. Same in Germany and in the Netherlands.

I can only comment on my personal experience when travelling. Best value i've gotten was in Ireland. Germany is expensive for accomodation IMO. Netherlands in the Randstad is very pricey (Amsterdam/Rotterdam/The Hague).

Irish tourist body me hole ... :)

Twas on the news aswell:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/irish-hotel-prices-among-cheapest-in-europe-473406.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

Health insurance

Germany
    2700 euros / year
    Netherlands:
    1100 / year
    Ireland
    720 / year

Car Tax - 2 Litre Diesel

Germany
    380 / year
    Holland
    1246/year
    Ireland
    526/year (Old system)

Hotels
    Irelands the cheapest in the EU at the moment, you can get a decent hotel for 80-90 euros a night, some cities in Germany you wouldn't get a decent hostel for that.

Beer is around 4.80 / 500mls in a pub in NL: at the moment, Germany is about 4 euros / 500mls.

Car Insurance, can't really compare, have Dutch plates and you insure the car and not the person.

Anyone else have any experience comparing Ireland to another Developed EU Country with the same currency ?

France: No Road Tax, only tax on petrol + diesel.

Ireland = double taxed.

On groceries, we are the most expensive in the Eurozone.

In Germany, maybe you haven't heard of a bahn card? It gives you a reduction.

g32 wrote: »

Ireland = double taxed.

France ..... lol ... Toll Gates :) ?
    Even the Germans will avoid French Roads if they have to drive for an extra hour or two, We paid about 30 odd Euros in tolls one way from Roscoff to the Netherlands. The french pay a bloody fortune on Tolls !! :)

On groceries, Don't think so. I do a shop in Albert Heijn, Jumbo, Nettorama, Aldi or Lidl. Germany I mainly go to Rewe, Lidl (Not Aldi, the Nord one is sh*t, Aldi Sud is much better) or Netto. As I said, there isn't a huge difference between here and Ireland. Stuff like Cheddar cheese and decent beef is expensive here, much cheaper in Ireland. Beer and Spirits are about the only thing i've noticed here thats alot cheaper.

You need a German address for a Bahncard, I have a Voordeelurenabonnement card which gives me 40% off the Dutch railway after 9 o'clock and a Railplus card which gives 25% off International Trains (ICE and Thalys)

Don't live in Germany, only work there so don't need it, the Tariffs for the Deutsche Bahn are really complicated. Sometimes you buy an IC Ticket and then that covered Public Transport in the city your visiting for the day, or a Concert Ticket, or you can even buy a ticket you can share with 2 other people thats only valid on certain days or the weekend ;)

Fun !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Ireland = double taxed.

another unsubstantiated post.

As keithclancy said, road tolls in France are phenomenal. Petrol is more expensive and the traffic police are the strictest C*nts you'll ever come across.

Groceries - you'e still taking figures from 2 years ago. Things have changed over here. My study of the recent branded price survey, comparing precise like for like goods with the cheapest available uk prices against the cosnumer association irish survey showed Tesco Tallaght 2% cheaper than the combined lowest prices in the UK on a basket of 55 everyday branded items. - Everyy item was IDENTICAL in brand, size and variety and it included beer, wine & whiskey along with the main staples of a family shop. (not 3 bottles of coke and 6 pizzas)

In Ireland have you not heard of the monthly / weekly/ 3 day / one day commuter ticket? Available to EVERYONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,475 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Health insurance

Germany
    2700 euros / year
    Netherlands:
    1100 / year
    Ireland
    720 / year

Car Tax - 2 Litre Diesel

Germany
    380 / year
    Holland
    1246/year
    Ireland
    526/year (Old system)

Hotels

You've never been to Germany have you?
    Avergae post of pint
    Ireland 4.80
    Germany 3 - 4 depending on city

Cost of getting home from a night out (average distance, say 6m/10km)
    Dublin 25
    Berlin 0

Taxes are NOT 50% in Germany - where the hell did you get that one from???

Petrol - true, but this is to discourage people from driving short journies by car.

Transport
    Ireland - Dublin - Germany more expensive but also mroe comfortable and more reliable and you can actually book a seat!

So, in the cases where Germany is more expensive you got a much better services.

Germany "can't get a decent hostel for 80-90 euro"? Pure fabrication. Suggest you do some research before getting hysterical nect time.
    Average night in a hotel 60 euro. You can stay in the Best Western in Berlin for 80.
    Generator Hostel Berlin - 20 euro bed in dorm
    AO Hostel/hotel Munich - 45-50 euro (expesive right now, yes, but only because of Octoberfest. try booking for a wekeend next month)

Care to comment? Didn't think so.

EDIT - just seen you HAVE been to Germany, which makes the post all the more fabrication and less factual. Especially considering the part where you said Irish helathcare was better than German healthcare. That's Mary Harney's job safe, so...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

France ..... lol ... Toll Gates :) ?
    Even the Germans will avoid French Roads if they have to drive for an extra hour or two, We paid about 30 odd Euros in tolls one way from Roscoff to the Netherlands. The french pay a bloody fortune on Tolls !! :)

Also decent non-tolled highways in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I have stayed and travelled a bit around Duessledorf, Cologne, Duisberg, Essen, Frankfurt ... Basically anywhere in NRW. The trains are always on time and timetables are very good , never once had a problem. Trains from Koln / Dortmund, anywhere really straight into Dusseldorf airport. As for the hotels, I found many hotels for 60-80 euros per night and the quality was alot better thatn some of the hotels around Ireland. Think two years ago I paid 140 per night in the 5* Radison in Berlin City Centre. Great value. Found eating out and drinking to be a little cheaper but was a more pleasant experience than in Ireland.

Cant really comment on Netherlands myself but was talking to a dutch friend of mine and said prices at home for drinking were somewhat similar. I still rather pay it for decent beer in a nice place though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Healthcare in Ireland is above Germany IMO, Holland is a little bit better, Private Health Insurance is a legal requirement in Germany and the Netherlands.

Having done both I can definitively say the standard of Healthcare, especially in relation to A&E waiting times, are far far better in Germany.

Holland has BPM Tax which is actually higher than VRT (anything upto 50%) a Bugatti Veyron is 1.8 Million euros in the Netherlands, .8 million of that is BPM Tax.

But say, in comparison to a Family Saloon?
    Standard of German roads in Nordrhein-Westfalen is appauling, Irish roads are miles ahead, Autobahn would rattle the teeth out of your head in alot of places.
    In order of quality i'd say Holland, Ireland and then Germany at the bottom.

Well say 10% of German roads Vs. about 40% of Irish Roads. Exclude the main bypasses and the motorways around Dublin and you really know the meaning of 'tertiary' roads.

Duessledorf, Cologne, Duisberg, Essen, Frankfurt ... Basically anywhere in NRW.

Hosteled around Germany staying in Essen, Frankfurt, Weimar, Berlin, Leipzig and a variety of places in-between. Can't remember paying anything more than 15 a night with a far better standard overall then anywhere I was in Ireland.

Sorry, that argument would fly if goods and services were not cheaper in Ireland :)

Are you being serious?

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    You've never been to Germany have you?
    Avergae post of pint
    Ireland 4.80
    Germany 3 - 4 depending on city

Price of a Pint ... first off, Germans don't do 'Pints'
    Second if you do get a 'Pint' its actually 400mls, Fattys in Duesseldorf charges 4.80for a 'pint'.
    Cost of getting home from a night out (average distance, say 6m/10km)
    Dublin 25
    Berlin 0

Well if its anything like the NRW the Trams/Metro stop at 11.30/12 o'clock. You have to get a Taxi home. Taxi prices are pretty much on Par with Ireland if not slightly cheaper. The Netherlands is about 60 - 70% more expensive for a cab.
    Taxes are NOT 50% in Germany - where the hell did you get that one from???
    Deloitte and Touche Tax Consultancy. I pay just over 52% tax. Also pay Church tax, which I need to sort out.
    [/QUOTE]
    Petrol - true, but this is to discourage people from driving short journies by car.
    They have an Umweltzone for that, they don't want people driving into the cities, they tax it to get money into the coffers.
    Transport
    Ireland - Dublin - Germany more expensive but also mroe comfortable and more reliable and you can actually book a seat!
    ICE, Cheapest one way ticket from The Hague - Duesseldorf with a Voordeelurenabonnement + Railplus (i.e. booking 3 weeks in advance) is 50 euros (if your lucky) . Normally its around 100-150 euros return.
    So, in the cases where Germany is more expensive you got a much better services.
    German Roads are not great, Road surface is Terrible. Roads in the City Centre is sh*te in quite a few cities.

Back in 2008 when i was commuting by Rail I was stranded a load of times because either Deutsche Bahn were on strike or there was a technical problem on the line. Ended up stuck in Duisberg one night becuase the German Conductor didn't understand my Dutch ticket, yet when I went into the ticket office in Duisberg the guy couldn't understand why i'd been booted off the train.
    Germany "can't get a decent hostel for 80-90 euro"? Pure fabrication. Suggest you do some research before getting hysterical nect time.
    Average night in a hotel 60 euro. You can stay in the Best Western in Berlin for 80.
    Generator Hostel Berlin - 20 euro bed in dorm
    AO Hostel/hotel Munich - 45-50 euro (expesive right now, yes, but only because of Octoberfest. try booking for a wekeend next month)

Lived in Hotels for almost a year, Average room rate was 150 - 200 Euros per Night in Various hotels. That Best Western i.e. Golden Tulip chain of Hotels are THE worst dumps ever.

During conference times as well the Germans jack the prices up to unreal levels. It was 1100 euros for a Night in a 4 star hotel out by the Airport.
    EDIT - just seen you HAVE been to Germany, which makes the post all the more fabrication and less factual. Especially considering the part where you said Irish helathcare was better than German healthcare. That's Mary Harney's job safe, so...

Haven't 'Been' to Germany, have lived there, currently work there, have a tax card. In the Health insurance system etc.

You cannot compare Berlin or that region to Bavaria or NRW, they get almost less than half the wages. Bavaria is even more expensive that NRW.

A maas is 8 euros now at Octoberfest :)

Having done both I can definitively say the standard of Healthcare, especially in relation to A&E waiting times, are far far better in Germany.

Not in my experience anyway, Guess it depends where you go. Cork University Hospital I was only waiting 20 minutes. Everyone in Germany thats employed has private Health insurance, in Ireland private health insurance isn't even mandatory.
    But say, in comparison to a Family Saloon?

Ireland:
    Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI Manual 103kw 6 Speed Base spec:
    http://new.skoda-auto.com/IRL/Documents/New_Octavia/Octavia%20Price%20and%20Spec%20Jan%2019.pdf

Netherlands:
    Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI Manual 103kw 6 Speed Base spec:
    28,080 inclusive BPM (6743 euros)
    http://skoda.nl/media/downloads/Prijslijsten/2010/Prijslijst_Octavia.pdf
    Well say 10% of German roads Vs. about 40% of Irish Roads. Exclude the main bypasses and the motorways around Dublin and you really know the meaning of 'tertiary' roads.

A40 was closed last night due to a crash, had to drive home on 'Tertiary roads' they ain't all that great, quite a few portions are only wide enough for one car.
    Hosteled around Germany staying in Essen, Frankfurt, Weimar, Berlin, Leipzig and a variety of places in-between. Can't remember paying anything more than 15 a night with a far better standard overall then anywhere I was in Ireland.

A shared dorm in Ireland is usually around 10-15 euros per night. Only ever stayed in the A&O Hotels attached to the Hostel. Their grand, cheap if your you get it way in advance or last minute.
    Are you being serious?

Yes, everything from Car Rental to Plumbers, Builders etc etc costs more. The building stuff mainly down to the housing collapse I would guess. Although these days theres quite a few lads coming over on the Dublin - Eindhoven flight to work in Brabant as there is work.

I'm just merely pointing out that as someone who lives and works on the Continent, travels back to Ireland quite frequently, I've noticed that things have come down in price an awful lot, so much so that we buy alot of Toiletries and food items and bring them back on the plane with us.

Germany is not the utopia that Irish people think it is. Berlin is about cheapest place I've been to in Germany with Munich being the most expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I am Dutch and i can say the OP is definately not talking poo with his comparison Ireland vs Holland.

Not long ago i compared before and after tax income with a guy doing basically the same job as me in Holland.
    Before tax he earned €800 more per month than me. After tax i was the winner though pocketing €700 more than him.

So maybe things might be a bit more expensive here in shops at least here i get the choice to spend most of my money the way i want it and where i want, in stead of a government that every month takes 50% of my wages.

Price of a Pint ... first off, Germans don't do 'Pints'
    Second if you do get a 'Pint' its actually 400mls, Fattys in Duesseldorf charges 4.80for a 'pint'.

Well if its anything like the NRW the Trams/Metro stop at 11.30/12 o'clock. You have to get a Taxi home. Taxi prices are pretty much on Par with Ireland if not slightly cheaper. The Netherlands is about 60 - 70% more expensive for a cab.

Deloitte and Touche Tax Consultancy. I pay just over 52% tax. Also pay Church tax, which I need to sort out.

They have an Umweltzone for that, they don't want people driving into the cities, they tax it to get money into the coffers.

ICE, Cheapest one way ticket from The Hague - Duesseldorf with a Voordeelurenabonnement + Railplus (i.e. booking 3 weeks in advance) is 50 euros (if your lucky) . Normally its around 100-150 euros return.

German Roads are not great, Road surface is Terrible. Roads in the City Centre is sh*te in quite a few cities.

Back in 2008 when i was commuting by Rail I was stranded a load of times because either Deutsche Bahn were on strike or there was a technical problem on the line. Ended up stuck in Duisberg one night becuase the German Conductor didn't understand my Dutch ticket, yet when I went into the ticket office in Duisberg the guy couldn't understand why i'd been booted off the train.

Lived in Hotels for almost a year, Average room rate was 150 - 200 Euros per Night in Various hotels. That Best Western i.e. Golden Tulip chain of Hotels are THE worst dumps ever.

During conference times as well the Germans jack the prices up to unreal levels. It was 1100 euros for a Night in a 4 star hotel out by the Airport.

Haven't 'Been' to Germany, have lived there, currently work there, have a tax card. In the Health insurance system etc.

You cannot compare Berlin or that region to Bavaria or NRW, they get almost less than half the wages. Bavaria is even more expensive that NRW.

A maas is 8 euros now at Octoberfest :)

You obviously have a very well paid job if you are paying 52% tax. That or you need a new tax consultant. I pay 19% on half my earnings, the rest is tax allowance. Pretty much the same in Ireland.

You seem to hve expensive tastes, as well.if you are paying 150 to 200 euro a night in hotels.You find good comfortable accomodation for 50 euro a night and less if you're on a budget.

Why is compaing Ireland to Berlin unfair, but compairing it to NRW completely ok? I mean, you won't get good all night transport in a business city, but compare social cities like Berlin and Dublin for late night transport? No contest! ANd the beer is still cheaper here than in Dublin, even when you take quantity into account. a 0,5 is only 56ml smaller than a pint, i.e. about 10%. Where are you getting your 0,4? Go somewhere else!

jacking up the prices during periods of high demand happens even in Ireland. And if Bavaria is more expensive for accomodation (normal times) but still cheaper than ireland, it kinda kills your argument?

Notice you dind't comment no the quality of rural-"motorways" v autobahns or health care systems.

You obviously have a very well paid job if you are paying 52% tax. That or you need a new tax consultant. I pay 19% on half my earnings, the rest is tax allowance. Pretty much the same in Ireland.

19% on Half your earnings ... right .. :) .. would be a mass exodus of Expats from Holland to Germany if that was the case.

Are you working as a contractor via an Umbrella company in Switzerland or something ;) ?

If I was married (Germans don't recognise Fiscaal Partners like in the Netherlands) You'd get a bit more, theres also some things you can claim back, but thats all at the end of the year. You have to be careful when declaring it on you Lohnsteurkahrte at the beginning of the year otherwise you'll end up oweing money back

The Tax Consultant is used for doing my yearly Tax Return, Payroll work out what they have to withhold based on whats your Tax Card.

http://www.connectingindians.com/index.php?name=extraModule&file=GermanTaxCalculator

For a wage of 50,000 euros per year in as a Catholic it breaks down like this:
    Wage Tax : 20202.83 Euro
    Solidarity Surcharge : 1111.15 Euro
    9% Church Tax : 1818.25 Euro
    Sum of the Taxes 23132.23 Euro

Obligatory Pension Insurance: 511.88 Euro
    Unemployment Insurance: 170.63 Euro
    13.3% Health Insurance (+ 0,9% from the Employee alown): 268.97 Euro
    Nursing Care Insurance: 39.19 Euro
    Sum of the Social Security Contributions 990.67 Euro

Net Salary: 25877.10 Euro

Getting paid over 13 months (Which is standard)
    1990 Euros /Month.

Thats roughly depending on Marriage Situation and your kilometer Allowance + other possible deductions.
    You seem to hve expensive tastes, as well.if you are paying 150 to 200 euro a night in hotels.You find good comfortable accomodation for 50 euro a night and less if you're on a budget.

I wasn't paying at all, Company picked and booked the Hotels as I was on a secondment. Hotels were basically of the same standard as Jurys Inn.
    Why is compaing Ireland to Berlin unfair, but compairing it to NRW completely ok? I mean, you won't get good all night transport in a business city, but compare social cities like Berlin and Dublin for late night transport? No contest! ANd the beer is still cheaper here than in Dublin, even when you take quantity into account. a 0,5 is only 56ml smaller than a pint, i.e. about 10%. Where are you getting your 0,4? Go somewhere else!

The rest of Germany paid for Berlin and are still paying for it, theres all sorts of problems there. There is a huge amount of Vacant accomodation and the average wage wouldn't even be half that of Ireland.

Thats like comparing Dublin to Kenmare, Berlin is poor, the Average wage is very low.
    jacking up the prices during periods of high demand happens even in Ireland. And if Bavaria is more expensive for accomodation (normal times) but still cheaper than ireland, it kinda kills your argument?

Notice you dind't comment no the quality of rural-"motorways" v autobahns or health care systems.

I did, I drive 40,000 kms / year on German/Dutch roads, The German roads are not great. Alot of the tertiary roads would be on par with the roads in County Clare :) The German Motorways are miles behind the Dutch roads.

Why are you getting so aggressive ? Whats the issue here. I live here, I work here, I'm saying STUFF IS CHEAPER IN IRELAND. It used to be the case with the UK but since the Euro has dropped against the Sterling now you can get a better deal in Ireland.

The only thing thats significantly cheaper in Germany/Holland is Booze and Cigarettes, plus you have a much higher disposable income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Hotels

Just booked decent hotel not far from Munich for 32 euro

[/QUOTE]Beer is around 4.80 / 500mls in a pub in NL: at the moment, Germany is about 4 euros / 500mls. [/QUOTE]
    Had a dinner and a pint of lager last summer in Irish Pub in Dresden for 6.50 euro

[/QUOTE]Public transport is also a bit cheaper in Ireland IMO. Trains definitely and buses are usually a rip off in Germany and the Netherlands unless your travelling a decent distance. [/QUOTE]
    One day unlimited train travel for 5 persons in Germany cost 28 Euro. It is regional, but any region in Germany bigger than Ireland.

Had a dinner and a pint of lager last summer in Irish Pub in Dresden for 6.50 euro
    Jeebus .. thats only a 7 hour drive from where I live :) .. you can chuck stones at the Czech Republic from there ;)
    Just booked decent hotel not far from Munich for 32 euro

One day unlimited train travel for 5 persons in Germany cost 28 Euro. It is regional, but any region in Germany bigger than Ireland.

The 5ER Bayern Ticket is 28 euros.
    Only Valid after 9AM Mon - Fri, so can't really get to work with that.

The 1ER Bayern Ticket is 20 Euros .. Guess if you can find 4 other lads to share with its a good deal ;)

Dutch do a similar one call the Nederlands Dag Kaart . .usually you can get it for 28 euros / person.

Their not really suitable for getting to work though as you can only use them after 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AlwaysAmber

Interesting reading. The 9% Church Tax in Germany seems strange. Can you dictate which groups get it or does it go into a central fund?

91011 wrote: »

As keithclancy said, road tolls in France are phenomenal. Petrol is more expensive and the traffic police are the strictest C*nts you'll ever come across.

Its called Law and Order.

Something which is lacking here in Ireland.

In France, you pay as you go. In Ireland, you are subjected to pay a lump-sum Road Tax (on top of a fuel Carbon Tax), even if you only travel 40 Km for the entire year.

In Ireland have you not heard of the monthly / weekly/ 3 day / one day commuter ticket? Available to EVERYONE!

The OP didn't specify whether he/she lived in Germany or the Netherlands, or lives in both countries. The bahn card allows for a reduction, as the OP stated; to residents who live in Germany.

19% on Half your earnings ... right .. :) .. would be a mass exodus of Expats from Holland to Germany if that was the case.

Are you working as a contractor via an Umbrella company in Switzerland or something ;) ?

If I was married (Germans don't recognise Fiscaal Partners like in the Netherlands) You'd get a bit more, theres also some things you can claim back, but thats all at the end of the year. You have to be careful when declaring it on you Lohnsteurkahrte at the beginning of the year otherwise you'll end up oweing money back

The Tax Consultant is used for doing my yearly Tax Return, Payroll work out what they have to withhold based on whats your Tax Card.

http://www.connectingindians.com/index.php?name=extraModule&file=GermanTaxCalculator

For a wage of 50,000 euros per year in as a Catholic it breaks down like this:
    Wage Tax : 20202.83 Euro
    Solidarity Surcharge : 1111.15 Euro
    9% Church Tax : 1818.25 Euro
    Sum of the Taxes 23132.23 Euro

Obligatory Pension Insurance: 511.88 Euro
    Unemployment Insurance: 170.63 Euro
    13.3% Health Insurance (+ 0,9% from the Employee alown): 268.97 Euro
    Nursing Care Insurance: 39.19 Euro
    Sum of the Social Security Contributions 990.67 Euro

Net Salary: 25877.10 Euro

Getting paid over 13 months (Which is standard)
    1990 Euros /Month.

Thats roughly depending on Marriage Situation and your kilometer Allowance + other possible deductions.

I wasn't paying at all, Company picked and booked the Hotels as I was on a secondment. Hotels were basically of the same standard as Jurys Inn.

The rest of Germany paid for Berlin and are still paying for it, theres all sorts of problems there. There is a huge amount of Vacant accomodation and the average wage wouldn't even be half that of Ireland.

Thats like comparing Dublin to Kenmare, Berlin is poor, the Average wage is very low.

I did, I drive 40,000 kms / year on German/Dutch roads, The German roads are not great. Alot of the tertiary roads would be on par with the roads in County Clare :) The German Motorways are miles behind the Dutch roads.

Why are you getting so aggressive ? Whats the issue here. I live here, I work here, I'm saying STUFF IS CHEAPER IN IRELAND. It used to be the case with the UK but since the Euro has dropped against the Sterling now you can get a better deal in Ireland.

The only thing thats significantly cheaper in Germany/Holland is Booze and Cigarettes, plus you have a much higher disposable income.

Can someone tell me how much a single person on 50k will be taxed in Ireland? Is it any better or worse (not counting the church tax which is no one's fault but your own). Anyway, you're on considerably more than I am, so that's why you're maying more tax.

So you HAVEN'T actually looked at hotel prices in Germany - you're just using one hotel? Well researched.

And your thread title doesn't say "cheaper" it says "bargain".

Health insuramce - A+E much quicker over here and you can get massage, chiropracty and othre alternative therapies are covered, not so the case in Ireland.

I'm out of here beachse most of your points have been shown by me and others to be inaccurate (tax coparisons to similar income in Ireland), badly researched (hotels, beer, city travel - and not just in Berlin, other people have been comparing Munich) or on a poor comparison as you don't take standard of product into account when comparing (health, roads).

Can someone tell me how much a single person on 50k will be taxed in Ireland? Is it any better or worse (not counting the church tax which is no one's fault but your own). Anyway, you're on considerably more than I am, so that's why you're maying more tax.

Never said thats what I earned, if you actually read the post you'd know that.
    I'll do you a favour, click the link

On 50,000 eurios / year net is roughly 3005 euros / month over 13 months its roughly 2770 euros.
    So you HAVEN'T actually looked at hotel prices in Germany - you're just using one hotel? Well researched.

Hotel with an 's' on the end means plural in the English language. The company has a whole team of people dedicated to finding the most cost effective hotel accomodation. I do visit other places in Germany you know ;)

Yup, bargain, just booked a trip back to Ireland for 7 days .. Car Rental is costing 83 euros including the Airport pickup fee :D Rent about 8 - 10 times a year, Irelands always consistantly cheaper.
    Health insuramce - A+E much quicker over here and you can get massage, chiropracty and othre alternative therapies are covered, not so the case in Ireland.

Alernative therapy is covered on VHI, Lifestage Plan.
    http://www.vhi.ie/pdf/products/TOBForwardL1.pdf
    Acupuncturists, Chiropractors, Osteopaths, Physical therapists, Reflexologists visits

But its not a 'legal' requirement in Ireland as theres is still the public health service.
    The quality of Healthcare in Germany depends on where you are and if they are not on strike. In Germany you do not get the option, you HAVE to take out the standard Healthcare, unless you manage to get out of tariff and get your own private policy. Its a normalised system so your paying for everyones risk even if you don't smoke or are not over 65.
    I'm out of here beachse most of your points have been shown by me and others to be inaccurate (tax coparisons to similar income in Ireland), badly researched (hotels, beer, city travel - and not just in Berlin, other people have been comparing Munich) or on a poor comparison as you don't take standard of product into account when comparing (health, roads).

Seems to be a feature of boards.. theres the odd nutter on here ;)

Your still missing the point, I go visit Ireland, I come back with more money in my pocket than I do when I commute or visit a bordering German city for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Someone on 50k a year in ireland will get 40663 net after all taxes & levies.

Gross income 50000
    Gross Income Tax 10966
    Less Tax credit 6390 *
    PRSI/Health 3736
    Income levy 1000
    Net for year 40663

Hotels.com said Irish hotel prices were the lowest in the EU - they have a fair bit of experience with millions of hotel rooms - I'll take their figures -rather than yours.

Beer - I can find places that sell pints for 2.95 in Dublin (barrys hotel) & 5.50 (cafe en seine.) Same I preseume in germany where the standard sales unit is 400ml (568 in pint), but I find german prices usually about the €4 mark in munich, dusseldorf & frankfurt.

Roads - I've only been on german city roads and there no better / worse than Dublin roads.

Of course you're out of here. You haven't given any substantiated back up of any of your claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Groceries - you'e still taking figures from 2 years ago. Things have changed over here. My study of the recent branded price survey, comparing precise like for like goods with the cheapest available uk prices against the cosnumer association irish survey showed Tesco Tallaght 2% cheaper than the combined lowest prices in the UK on a basket of 55 everyday branded items. - Everyy item was IDENTICAL in brand, size and variety and it included beer, wine & whiskey along with the main staples of a family shop. (not 3 bottles of coke and 6 pizzas)

Thank britain and northern ireland for that . It took 10 years for the prices here to be anywhere close. The shops have been taking the pissss for years. It is only recently that you see offers such as 2 for the price of 1 etc. That did not exist early this decade.
    It does not matter now as no-one has any money , we are being taxed to feck and all young and old with any brains are getting out of this crap hole of a country. I would pay more income tax if I got more back. Everything is extra here on top of income tax, shoite country, admit it.

Have you heard of a bus service outside of the main cities, no, thats right. What use is a commuter ticket to someone living 30 miles outside of dublin where there is 2 buses a day, and not even a park and ride nearby,

• Advertisement

Also decent non-tolled highways in France.

Yes agree, I have driven on those roads and they are extremely good. The roads in france are far superior to irish roads, the tarmac is so smooth.
    There is no need to use toll roads unless you are in an extreme hurry.
    Compare the m3, n3 to the equivalent french roads, no comparison.

This thread is a wind up I am sure of it.

Advertisement