Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands a total bargain at the moment compared to Germany and Holland

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

gurramok wrote: »
    You can't compare car ownership in Holland to Ireland. Holland has 16million people compared to 4 million here.
    The reason for high car ownership costs in Holland are to stop millions of cars roaming a country just over half the size of Ireland.

Same analogy for property. High population density results in high property costs in Holland. Unlike us who have one of the lowest population densities.

Dutch hotels are notoriously expensive near any major city due to demand. Irish hotels can be cheaper for example in Dublin but they are not cheap in Kilkenny!

And yes, Holland consumer prices are indeed high for alot of items.

Maybe you should of compared Finland to us instead of Holland ;)

Irelands even more of a Bargain compared to Finland. :)

Cigarettes are cheaper in Finland though ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Irelands even more of a Bargain compared to Finland. :)

Cigarettes are cheaper in Finland though ..

Maybe Portugal then? :P

Guess its down to purchasing power of each country to find out is it really a bargain to live in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

One major noticeable difference between Ireland and Germany / Netherlands:

Ireland has higher electricity prices.

Irish households pay more on their electricity bills than Germany / Netherlands. Ole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

g32 wrote: »
    One major noticeable difference between Ireland and Germany / Netherlands:

Ireland has higher electricity prices.

Irish households pay more on their electricity bills than Germany / Netherlands. Ole!

Can you back that up with a link - any link????

No you can't! - Why? - Because you're WRONG yet again.

Here's one of germany's suppliers current prices
    http://www.swm.de/dokumente/swm/pdf/strom/preise-strom.pdf

Its ceratinly more expensive than my Bord Gais bill

and the netherlands is more expensive than Germany - so by default, your stement that netherlands has cheaper electricity is also wrong.

ACTUAL figures from Eurostat

Germany average rate = 20.4c / kwh
    Netherlands = 24c / kwh
    Ireland 15.3c/ kwh

Based on average useage and Including ALL taxes & charges.

Overall Ireland lies 8th out of 15 euro countries for electricity costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bal00

What a strange thread.
    Price of a Pint ... first off, Germans don't do 'Pints'
    Second if you do get a 'Pint' its actually 400mls, Fattys in Duesseldorf charges 4.80for a 'pint'.

And 'Stone' just around the corner charges 2.00€ for 330ml.
    Well if its anything like the NRW the Trams/Metro stop at 11.30/12 o'clock. You have to get a Taxi home.

In Duesseldorf the Metro runs non-stop on weekends and shuts down between 1:30am and 4am during the week. The bus service keeps running. The situation is similar in all other larger cities.
    ICE, Cheapest one way ticket from The Hague - Duesseldorf with a Voordeelurenabonnement + Railplus (i.e. booking 3 weeks in advance) is 50 euros (if your lucky) . Normally its around 100-150 euros return.

It's actually 19 Euros, booked 3 weeks in advance through bahn.de.

OP, I'm located in Germany at the moment, and if you really do work here, you obviously know that a lot of your claims are dubious at best. Why make them?

• Advertisement

What a strange thread.
    bal00 wrote: »
    And 'Stone' just around the corner charges 2.00€ for 330ml.

2.00 for 3.30ml, thats 4 euro for 660ml. thats not bad, Duesseldorf usually they drink 180ml glasses of Alt Bier, Pils (rarely Kolsch)
    In Duesseldorf the Metro runs non-stop on weekends and shuts down between 1:30am and 4am during the week. The bus service keeps running. The situation is similar in all other larger cities.

The amount of times i've just missed the last metro from Heinrich Heine Allee.. nope, s-bahn finished for me 12.00, didnt stay many weekends as I was commuting every week.
    It's actually 19 Euros, booked 3 weeks in advance through bahn.de.

lol .. its FROM 19 euros each way. Thats fantastic if you see a cheap fare 3 weeks in advance, I don't think my boss would be cool with it though.

This is about the cheapest I'd get (looking through my mails)
    * van DEN HAAG naar DUESSELDORF HBF op 22/10/2008
    * 1 persoon met tarief Railplus

* van DUESSELDORF HBF naar DEN HAAG op 22/10/2008
    * 1 persoon met tarief Railplus
    Prijs
    Totaalbedrag boeking € 75.40
    Annuleringskosten € 0.00

Totaalbedrag te betalen € 75.40
    Betaald (Creditcard ) € 75.40

and thats with a Railplus (25% off International Trains) and Voordeeleuren card (40% off Dutch Trains), which I pay a subscription for it. (Germany you have the bahncard)
    OP, I'm located in Germany at the moment, and if you really do work here, you obviously know that a lot of your claims are dubious at best. Why make them?

Claims...., I've lived in the Netherlands for 3 years and worked in Germany for 2. I see whats going out of my Bank account every month. I travel back to Ireland on a regular basis and its CHEAPER.

Even renting in Duesseldorf, its a months rent as commision, then deposit on top ! and thats usually unfurnished (unfurnished meaning no Kitchen)

Electricity, Gas, Water, Cars, Petrol, .. etc etc .. more expensive in Germany/Holland than Ireland

The only thing majorly more expensive in Ireland is Booze and Fags.

As I said earlier, I'm travelling back for 7 days and car rental is costing 83 euro for 7 days, not a HOPE you would ever get it for that price in Germany or in Holland

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bal00

The amount of times i've just missed the last metro from Heinrich Heine Allee.. nope, s-bahn finished for me 12.00, didnt stay many weekends as I was commuting every week.

That just isn't true. During the week the last metro leaves at 1.20am, not at 12, and on the weekends it runs non-stop. So when you say that you're forced to get a taxi because the metros and trams stop at 11.30/12, that's a lie, even when you're talking about a Tuesday, which is probably not what most people have in mind when they talk about going out late at night.

And even then you still have the busses, so unless you're planning to stay out until 3am on a Sunday night, you won't ever need a taxi.

lol .. its FROM 19 euros each way. Thats fantastic if you see a cheap fare 3 weeks in advance, I don't think my boss would be cool with it though.

This is about the cheapest I'd get (looking through my mails)

and thats with a Railplus (25% off International Trains) and Voordeeleuren card (40% off Dutch Trains), which I pay a subscription for it. (Germany you have the bahncard)
    It's not like you can only get cheap fares 3 weeks in advance. Here, this is for next Monday:

2mh644j.png

The full fare with no Bahncard, no subscription, no discount whatsoever is 52.70€. So when you say
    ICE, Cheapest one way ticket from The Hague - Duesseldorf with a Voordeelurenabonnement + Railplus (i.e. booking 3 weeks in advance) is 50 euros (if your lucky) .
    that's obviously not true either.

Claims...., I've lived in the Netherlands for 3 years and worked in Germany for 2. I see whats going out of my Bank account every month.

Well, that may be, but you're still playing loose with the facts.

That just isn't true. During the week the last metro leaves at 1.20am, not at 12, and on the weekends it runs non-stop. So when you say that you're forced to get a taxi because the metros and trams stop at 11.30/12, that's a lie, even when you're talking about a Tuesday, which is probably not what most people have in mind when they talk about going out late at night.

And even then you still have the busses, so unless you're planning to stay out until 3am on a Sunday night, you won't ever need a taxi.

Your assuming you live on the S-Bahn line, I have to get the U78 or U79 to catch the last 709 from the Hauptbahnhopf. Hence the last S-Bahn I can get from the Altstadt is 11.55.

It's not like you can only get cheap fares 3 weeks in advance. Here, this is for next Monday:

The full fare with no Bahncard, no subscription, no discount whatsoever is 52.70€. So when you say

I have a box full of Train Tickets (that I need to submit for tax reasons) that would disagree with you.

Its cheaper to drive than it is to get the train otherwise I wouldn't drive at all, or the other 80 Dutch secondees that did it also.

Definitely cheaper if your not using it to get to work i.e. going to Amsterdam to 'party'.

Totale prijs voor deze reis
    Type ticket retour
    van Den Haag Centraal
    naar Duesseldorf Hbf
    comfort klasse 2e klas
    Reisgezelschap 1 persoon
    Toeslag leverwijze € 0,00
    Toeslag betaalwijze € 0,00
    € 112,40
    Heenreis
    Datum 12-10-2010
    Vertrektijd 07:38
    Aankomsttijd 10:20
    van Den Haag Centraal
    naar Duesseldorf Hbf
    comfort klasse 2e klas
    Terugreis
    Datum 14-10-2010
    Vertrektijd 19:40
    Aankomsttijd 22:22
    van Duesseldorf Hbf
    naar Den Haag Centraal
    comfort klasse 2e klas

I could get 20 euros off, but that would mean getting up at 4.30 am.

That fare you posted is 1 way only.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delonglad

I'm living in Eindhoven and must say although the taxes are a rip off. I'm getting great value for my money compared to at home. I was home last weekend and spent a fortune getting down to Arklow from the airport. I could cover the same distance over here for 3 quid! With my OV card I can get from my home north of eindhoven into work on time every day for 1.60. If I leave after 9 i can get a day pass which is unlimited travel all day. The trains are 40% cheaper too. Eindhoven to Amsterdam, 10.60. Irish rail you'd be laughing if you got that. 15 quid a mate paid last year from Carlow to Kildare.

The Netherlands is a high tax economy but you get what you pay for. Great transport, great services (got my bsn number and card within in 4 days and the people were very helpful). Health Insurance at first sounded a pain but was well justified when one of the lads ended up needing dental work last week. It was quick and easy and totally covered by his health insurance. Compare that to this time last year, sitting in a hospital for 14 hours waiting for my mother to have an xray on her arm. Joke..

Ireland is most certainly not a bargain compared to The Netherlands(dont no about Germany). Outside of Dublin everything is a joke in Ireland. I couldn't get a bus between Arklow and Carlow when I was in college only way was bus to dublin then dublin to carlow at a ripoff price. Students travelling home to Cork/Leitrim/Donegal from Dublin and the like on Irish transport would be easier taking a plane. Most of them dont have a choice but to try buy a car or just not go home at all.

Lots of things are better in Ireland but most of the public service is ****e!! Bunch of overpaid useless people. My best friend got a summer job in one of these areas, his job was answer the phone, surf the net for the day, maybe print a document or two. If he worked after 4 (only started at half 9) and only took an hour break he was entitled to time off and overtime. He was there temp and getting 500 a week. He was laughing!! No wonder nothing gets done in Ireland.

By the sounds of it you are not happy in Netherlands/Germany, why don't you move home and enjoy all the bargains?

delonglad wrote: »
    I'm living in Eindhoven and must say although the taxes are a rip off. I'm getting great value for my money compared to at home. I was home last weekend and spent a fortune getting down to Arklow from the airport. I could cover the same distance over here for 3 quid! With my OV card I can get from my home north of eindhoven into work on time every day for 1.60. If I leave after 9 i can get a day pass which is unlimited travel all day. The trains are 40% cheaper too. Eindhoven to Amsterdam, 10.60. Irish rail you'd be laughing if you got that. 15 quid a mate paid last year from Carlow to Kildare.

The Netherlands is a high tax economy but you get what you pay for. Great transport, great services (got my bsn number and card within in 4 days and the people were very helpful). Health Insurance at first sounded a pain but was well justified when one of the lads ended up needing dental work last week. It was quick and easy and totally covered by his health insurance. Compare that to this time last year, sitting in a hospital for 14 hours waiting for my mother to have an xray on her arm. Joke..

Ireland is most certainly not a bargain compared to The Netherlands(dont no about Germany). Outside of Dublin everything is a joke in Ireland. I couldn't get a bus between Arklow and Carlow when I was in college only way was bus to dublin then dublin to carlow at a ripoff price. Students travelling home to Cork/Leitrim/Donegal from Dublin and the like on Irish transport would be easier taking a plane. Most of them dont have a choice but to try buy a car or just not go home at all.

Lots of things are better in Ireland but most of the public service is ****e!! Bunch of overpaid useless people. My best friend got a summer job in one of these areas, his job was answer the phone, surf the net for the day, maybe print a document or two. If he worked after 4 (only started at half 9) and only took an hour break he was entitled to time off and overtime. He was there temp and getting 500 a week. He was laughing!! No wonder nothing gets done in Ireland.

By the sounds of it you are not happy in Netherlands/Germany, why don't you move home and enjoy all the bargains?

Funny that .. I live in Eindhoven too, that Dag-Kaart is a Brabant thing, really cheap, doesn't exist in the Randstad and fab value if your traveling around brabant all day, cheaper to use your ov card if just doing a return trip.

I never said I didnt like it here, I said Ireland is cheaper for alot of stuff. I travel back to Ireland to buy clothes, or the UK, its cheaper. People here import cars from the UK/Ireland even with the steering wheel on the wrong side, because its cheaper (even when you pay the BPM)

Dont get me wrong, I love it here, I never said I didn't.
    I'm merely saying that Ireland is a bargain at the moment, that doesn't make it any less f*cked than it actually is as a country.

Your living in a nice part of the country, Eindhoven is great ;)

Generally I buy
    Beer in Germany,
    Cigarettes in Holland
    Cheese in Ireland
    Clothes in Ireland (Irish women really hate shopping in Holland) if stuck then we go to Germany.
    Car in Ireland and import it.. far far cheaper.

In never said it was a ripoff either, I'm merely pointing out that Ireland isn't as much of a ripoff as people make out.

Health insurance with 90% Dental is around 128 a month last time I looked. Delta-Lloyd are doing about the best package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delonglad

Funny that .. I live in Eindhoven too, that Dag-Kaart is a Brabant thing, really cheap, doesn't exist in the Randstad and fab value if your traveling around brabant all day, cheaper to use your ov card if just doing a return trip.

I never said I didnt like it here, I said Ireland is cheaper for alot of stuff. I travel back to Ireland to buy clothes, or the UK, its cheaper. People here import cars from the UK/Ireland even with the steering wheel on the wrong side, because its cheaper (even when you pay the BPM)

Dont get me wrong, I love it here, I never said I didn't.
    I'm merely saying that Ireland is a bargain at the moment, that doesn't make it any less f*cked than it actually is as a country.

Your living in a nice part of the country, Eindhoven is great ;)

Generally I buy
    Beer in Germany,
    Cigarettes in Holland
    Cheese in Ireland
    Clothes in Ireland (Irish women really hate shopping in Holland) if stuck then we go to Germany.
    Car in Ireland and import it.. far far cheaper.

In never said it was a ripoff either, I'm merely pointing out that Ireland isn't as much of a ripoff as people make out.

Health insurance with 90% Dental is around 128 a month last time I looked. Delta-Lloyd are doing about the best package.

Yeah its a great place alright, my health insurance incl dental is just under that and almost 90% cover.. I'd have no interest in a car over here, my bike gets me everywhere and helps keep my beer belly in shape. Quality of beer is great over here. Aint had a hangover yet. Lots of Irish over here at the moment.

I still don't think Ireland is a bargain though. I got clothes last week for less than i'd pay at home. I find food shopping grand but i'm only shopping for one so maybe its different for a family. When I refer to Ireland as a ripoff (i never actually do cause I love the place) but the things that p**s me off are the public service end of things. So expensive and badly run.

Funny you mention the cheese, we were just laughing about that on lunch how the boys bring over their own cheese. The stuff over here is muck and expensive so Ireland is a bargain in the cheese market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

91011 wrote: »
    Someone on 50k a year in ireland will get 40663 net after all taxes & levies.

Gross income 50000
    Gross Income Tax 10966
    Less Tax credit 6390 *
    PRSI/Health 3736
    Income levy 1000
    Net for year 40663

Irish people hate saying anything good about Ireland. In other Euro countries it's the opposite ... they exaggerate any small advantages and downplay the disadvantages.

An effective tax rate of 18.6 %. This is LOW TAX people !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

2mh644j.png

Having been on the ICE a few times, there is no comparison between it and Irish trains. It could do Cork-Dublin in an hour easy (assuming we had tracks to accommodate it). I would pay a premium for that - and considering Cork - Dublin return is € 73 the ICE is a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

delonglad wrote: »
    Yeah its a great place alright, my health insurance incl dental is just under that and almost 90% cover.. I'd have no interest in a car over here, my bike gets me everywhere and helps keep my beer belly in shape. Quality of beer is great over here. Aint had a hangover yet. Lots of Irish over here at the moment.

I still don't think Ireland is a bargain though. I got clothes last week for less than i'd pay at home. I find food shopping grand but i'm only shopping for one so maybe its different for a family. When I refer to Ireland as a ripoff (i never actually do cause I love the place) but the things that p**s me off are the public service end of things. So expensive and badly run.

Funny you mention the cheese, we were just laughing about that on lunch how the boys bring over their own cheese. The stuff over here is muck and expensive so Ireland is a bargain in the cheese market.
    I lived in Veldhoven for 13 years before moving here! Funnily enough there was a huge influx of Irish people into Eindhoven (i.e. Philips) back in the 80's, most of whom have since left. This time though it was a dearth of suitably qualified people in the Netherlands and Philips and some other companies, including the one I ended up working for, actually came over to the UK and Ireland to visit the universities on recruitment drives.

Cheese wise, I loved the Dutch cheese, but you have to go for the more mature stuff. Go to a proper cheese shop (not Albert Heijn) and try some extra belegen boerenkaas, lovely stuff.

Personally I'd move back there tomorrow if the opportunity arose.

Alun wrote: »
    I lived in Veldhoven for 13 years before moving here! Funnily enough there was a huge influx of Irish people into Eindhoven (i.e. Philips) back in the 80's, most of whom have since left. This time though it was a dearth of suitably qualified people in the Netherlands and Philips and some other companies, including the one I ended up working for, actually came over to the UK and Ireland to visit the universities on recruitment drives.

Cheese wise, I loved the Dutch cheese, but you have to go for the more mature stuff. Go to a proper cheese shop (not Albert Heijn) and try some extra belegen boerenkaas, lovely stuff.

Personally I'd move back there tomorrow if the opportunity arose.

And then Ryanair started doing Dublin -> Eindhoven.

Can't get rid of us now :D

Seriously though, meeting alot of Irish around the place, either over as a cheap alternative to Amsterdam to smoke weed. Or indeed to just get the train there via Eindhoven station.

More turning up for work as well with ASML, Rehab, Philips and all those other companies in the technology campus.

The big Strijp-S complex is being turned into a new town center now, they blew up one of the buildings a few months back !

Veldhoven is a nice spot as well, nice little town center, very spread out though, Old Veldhoven is much nicer than the new one.

I dont care what you say about the cheese though, Caherconall beats the living pants out of Old Amsterdam !

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

I havent spent more than a few weeks in Germany in total but I am there about once a year or so and I am always amazed at their public transport. Clean, cheap and on time. Everything public transport in Ireland is not.

Also when you look at DBs website you can easily plan your entire trip down to the meter. Ever looked at Dublin Bus website? You'd have to read their minds to figure out where the bus stops are exactly, never mind which busses/connections you really need. And forget about the timetables, they're a joke.

Germany might be a bit dearer in tax but the tax money seems better spent. Id rather trust the Germans with the tax purse than the current Irish government. They seem to actually have.. whats it called ? Fiscal responsibility? Been so long since I've seen any I pretty much forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Any one working over there any tips for ASML interview. I have 1st one next week. I would love to move over there but for now I want to try get the job.

Any info not on there web site that you could tell me about them?

Thank you regards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

any one ?

Advertisement