Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Institute of Technology

Options
  • 14-09-2010 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Not quite sure where to post this, it is a WIT problem, but also a consumer issue and the WIT forum isnt active enough to warrent a post of such seriousness.

I have just finished my leaving cert and I applied through the CAO for the following course :

http://www.wit.ie/StudyatWIT/UndergraduateCourses/Science/BScHonsinComputerForensics-WD161/
    (Notice it is 3 years)

On thrusday the 9th of September our class group was told that our course is now 4 years.
    In the 2011 prospectus for the college it is shown as 4 years,
    http://www.wit.ie/StudyatWIT/requestprospectus/Prospectus/2010_11_undergrad_prospectus.pdf
    (Page 107)

According to the prospectus i would of seen while in 6th year, the course is 3 years.

I have been in contact with the students union, and so far have heard nothing of interest back, but they are working on it.

The class group and myself have been completely mislead, also incurring an extra years reg fee.

I realise this is mostly an internal issue, but i would like to bring it into the eye of the public to show them whats going on and of course, hear your suggestions and my rights on this matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The 2011 prospectus is for college starters in 2011. You have started in 2010.

Have you confirmed with the Registrations Office that you are taking a 3 year or 4 year course? Have you approached them with the CAO material/prospectus that shows that the 2010 entry to the course expected to take 3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

dudara wrote: »
    The 2011 prospectus is for college starters in 2011. You have started in 2010.

Have you confirmed with the Registrations Office that you are taking a 3 year or 4 year course? Have you approached them with the CAO material/prospectus that shows that the 2010 entry to the course expected to take 3 years?

It is confirmed at this moment it is 4 years.
    I have went to the students union and showed them all the material and this is why they are taking up the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭newirishshogun

If its changed from a 3 to a four year course that's usually a sign that its gone from 3 yr diploma 1 yr add-on degree to a straight 4 yr degree, on the plus side you wont have to fight for a degree place but obviously a longer course. Generally happens when institutes can validate their own courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

never mind the extra year registere fee your losing about 25K in wages for the fourth year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Or 50 weeks of dole payments. Seriously Ted that helps...

OP might be with checking with the CAO about this too. But if the college has changed I dont know what they could do for you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement