Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Cognitive Science

Options
  • 14-09-2010 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I hope everyone is well ;)

I've got a huge interest in psychology and cognitive science, and have been thinking recently about doing this masters when I get back to Ireland. I did Fred Cummins' undergrad module, and various other psychology modules, and loved them all.

Just wondering has anyone done this masters, or do they know someone who did, and what are the general thoughts on it? Some of the modules sound cool, while others sound a bit dry.

I gather there's no specific career benefit to doing a CogSci MA, but I'm really interested in the subject, and am only getting a superficial understanding from the books, blog posts, podcasts, talks, etc., I've been perusing. I reckon the Masters would suit me!

Any thoughts on the course?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fook, the fees are E7,000 :eek: Won't be doing it next year anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Hi Dave,

I'm currently down in oz and looking at doing this next year too. Fee's do look a bit much but according to their site you can do the part-time course for 3,950 which is spread over 2 years.

Would love to do it full time but not sure if it would be possible. It seems to be the only course of its type in the republic. My AI lecturer from CIT a few years back pointed me in this direction too: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/cogs/. This place has a very good reputation and has high profile people teaching there. But cost wise I'd imagine its more than dublin.

p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hah funny that we're both in Oz and both looking to do the same course :D

I don't see myself doing it part-time. Was under the impression that it could be done at night, so that I could work full-time while doing it, but alas that's not an option. I reckon I'll just try get work and save up until I can do it for the year.

I don't think I could ever afford to go to uni overseas, with accommodation costs, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HasanSas

Hi guys,

I know this is a pretty old thread and i just signed up today so dont really know if u get updates from me replying or whatever but here goes!

So did anybody end up doing or applying for this course? I've taken a real interest in this area and am seriously considering going back to college to do it, would be great to it in dublin if possible. Anyone have any info on how difficult it is to get in these days? Are they strict on past results or do they look more closely on the personal statement?

Would really appreciate any info on any of this, thanks!

Advertisement