Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's Telling Porkies? The Bank or O2?

Options
  • 14-09-2010 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

The other day I had insufficient funds in my bank to cover my mobile bill. The bank duly charged me €12.70 for the 'inconvenience', but today I got my latest mobile bill and included was another €10.16 unpaid direct debit fee.

I rang O2 to query it, and they said it was the bank charging them and they pass it on to the customer. Yet the bank have already charged me. I rang the bank and they said they only charge the customer, and not O2 in this case. So who's telling me lies??? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Your bank charges you, their bank charges them.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Could it be a charge from O2's bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

91011 wrote: »
    Your bank charges you, their bank charges them.
    Oryx wrote: »
    Could it be a charge from O2's bank?

That makes sense.. damn banks!! If I had money in my account, I'd take it back and go home!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

I know it's not always possible but it's best not to enter Direct debt agreements. You're supposed to have full control but it's hard to cancel them when it time comes around.

It's also galling to find that a direct debt goes out of an account for 12 euro, You've only 11 in the account and then the bank comes along and charges 12.70!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & pensions

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Could be O2 charging a missed DD fee, alot of companys do this now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you thought of a small overdraft. You may have to wait a few months now to get it because of the black mark on your account but it would save this happening again if you can try and keep the balance in or around 0 or higher.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

To avoid this happening in the future, you could indeed apply for a small overdraft to 'cushion' your account in case an unexpected DD comes through for presentation. If you'd rather not have an overdraft or cannot get one, then it might be an idea to cancel the DD (inform both the bank and O2 in writing) and just pay the bill online each month, or using the bank giro on your bill.

Advertisement