Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are UK landlords registered?

Options
  • 14-09-2010 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

I was wondering do UK landlords have to register like they do here with the PRTB?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you let through a letting agent or estate agent they legally have to register you with the taxman. The taxman can also tell them to take your tax at source if they believe you won't/can't pay. They also have to ensure your property meets all H&S regulations - ie gas etc.

Not sure about private lettings...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Not sure about registering but they do have to put the deposit into the Tenancy Deposit Scheme and they have to provide you proof that they've listed your deposit in either the insurance scheme or handed it over to the custodial scheme. It protects you from the LL pocketing any of the deposit for no reason but also stops you from using the deposit as the last months rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

there's no central scheme for registering your rental property, there's a DPS scheme with dispute resolution service, but there's no over-arching government body that 'referees' the private rental market. you need to inform various government agencies that you let your property, but thats for national tax/local tax and electoral reasons, not as any kind of PRSB-type experience.

i have two properties in the UK that i let: one is our family home that we let through an agent and use the DPS scheme, the other is a 2 bed flat in a large city that we let on a more private, informal basis.

Advertisement