Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picnic Spots in Meath

Options
  • 14-09-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

Hi,

just wondering if anyone can tell me of some nice picnic spots in meath? woudl like to go one (weather dependant of course) over next weekend. i live near navan and anywhere within an hours drive would be good.
    spot doesnt necessarily need to have benches, just a nice view.

thanks,

burger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Slane Hill
    Tara
    Ramparts walk
    Skryne Tower
    Bettystown beach (If there's no feckin' cars on it ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

Around Trim Castle, there are some nice picnic benches in front the Ace Electrical supplies store, lovely view of the castle, the river and the yellow steeple.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Ardmulchan, out the Boyne Rd. Keep an eye out for the sign on the left, as it's on a bend. No picnic tables but lovely view over the Boyne and Dunmoe Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Out of all mentoined above i think the hill of Tara has the best views. bring a pair of binoculars with ya.
    Like hmboards said Ardmulcan has nice views if eating in or next to a graveyard wont bother you.
    Some really nice spots around Oldcastle including Loughcrew.
    I always taught i would like a picnic in the courtyard in Bective Abby but not sure if its allowed but cant see a problem once left as you found it. nice spot too.

The Hill of Tara is a graveyard too ;)

Forgot to mention Balrath Woods - there's picnic tables there, as well as a few playground attractions for younger visitors. The view is a little limited - great if you like trees :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

hmboards wrote: »
    Ardmulchan, out the Boyne Rd. Keep an eye out for the sign on the left, as it's on a bend. No picnic tables but lovely view over the Boyne and Dunmoe Castle.

Hey there hmboards. Is there access to Dunmoe Castle? I've never heard of this one til your post, and I'd like to go and see it if I can. Is the Navan to Slane road? Thanks

Archeron wrote: »
    Hey there hmboards. Is there access to Dunmoe Castle? I've never heard of this one til your post, and I'd like to go and see it if I can. Is the Navan to Slane road? Thanks

Hi Archeron, yes it's down a lane off the Navan to Slane road. It's years since I was there but I presume you can still get access. There is a house at the end of that lane too, but they are probably used to visitors!

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,689966,770215,5

Advertisement