Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Welcome to Bundoran not

• 14-09-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

This appeared on Ocean fm news website today regarding motorhome parking in Bundoran.

I visited Bundoran during the summer in my motorhome and wanted to take my children to waterworld. The only proper place to park is on the hill in front of the Great northern hotel across the road from the designated coach parking area.
    As I parked the traffic warden informed me that I could only stay for one hour
    Each swimming session lasts for three hours so this was of no use to me. (and they call Bundoran a tourist resort).
    I will not be back.

The followingConcern raised over where camper vans park in Bundoran

Concern is been raised regarding the number of camper vans parking in Bundoran during the summer months in normal car spaces.
    Fianna Fail Councillor Sean McEniff said the large vehicles are being parked in a number of prime locations and take up to – two spaces.
    He said Council Executive is to liaise with its legal advisers regarding the matter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Des32 wrote: »
    This appeared on Ocean fm news website today regarding motorhome parking in Bundoran.

I visited Bundoran during the summer in my motorhome and wanted to take my children to waterworld. The only proper place to park is on the hill in front of the Great northern hotel across the road from the designated coach parking area.
    As I parked the traffic warden informed me that I could only stay for one hour
    Each swimming session lasts for three hours so this was of no use to me. (and they call Bundoran a tourist resort).
    I will not be back.

The followingConcern raised over where camper vans park in Bundoran

Concern is been raised regarding the number of camper vans parking in Bundoran during the summer months in normal car spaces.
    Fianna Fail Councillor Sean McEniff said the large vehicles are being parked in a number of prime locations and take up to – two spaces.
    He said Council Executive is to liaise with its legal advisers regarding the matter.

Yes Sean McEniff, who owns hotels. Campervaners don't use hotels so it is not in his financial interest so he would like them gone and he is going to use his political position to see if he can make it so....using taxpayers money against taxpayers to line his own pockets. Nice guy, this is the same dummy that was going to take legal action against the weather office/rte for saying it always rained in Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

650Ginge wrote: »
    Yes Sean McEniff, who owns hotels. Campervaners do use hotels so it is not in his financial interest so he would like them gone and he is going to use his political position to see if he can make it so....using taxpayers money against taxpayers to line his own pockets. Nice guy, this is the same dummy that was going to take legal action against the weather office/rte for saying it always rained in Donegal.

I wonder how much he would object if you pulled in to his hotel and had lunch or dinner. Probably pretend not to notice you at all.
    Hypocrites the lot of them.
    When his hotels are empty as they will be, who knows, he might set up a few 'hook ups' in the car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Totally agree with Ginge and Sarzy.Disgraceful attitude from a very wealthy public representative.
    I have been planning visiting Bundoran for a long time and am very surprised that such a tourist orientated town do not have better facilities for campervans.
    I suppose if you have people like that at the top table making these decisions "in the best interest of the town" things will never change.

Kev, www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

We were in Bundoran in August, and we found the same issue - parking meters only allowed an hour. The parking on the road was a mixture of marked out single bays, which you need 2 of, or long undivided bays.

I drove round the town twice or 3 times, and finally settled on stopping for an hour in a long bay, and rushing the kids round the fun fair. Spent 20 Euros, which I could have spent a lot more with 2 kids in tow, so I guess Bundoran parking restrictions did me a favour. :rolleyes:

It was only when I went to find Lidl, that old campers favourite for supplies, that I found a large carpark, just off the main street and across from Lidl and cinema, that although meters, allowed for longer parking, and I could get into 1 space and only stick out a little bit!

Behind Lidl, there is an Aire type parking site for motorhomes too. There is a barrier / hookups and cameras to keep an eye on things. This might provide a bit more for people who just want to do Bundoran for a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

So if the traffic wardan had told them where they could park then there wouldn't be a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

So if the traffic wardan had told them where they could park then there wouldn't be a problem

+1

and a few signs pointing towards motorhome parking probably wouldn't go amiss either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

with the increase in motorhome ownership and use in ireland it is time for local authorities to start making an effort to facilitate and encourage us into their areas,even if its just some where to park in the day so we can visit their town/city most are willing to pay for a few hours

we have a part to play in that we could lobby our local councils to provide some facilities for motor homes in our own areas even if its only a day parking area with some signs to direct you to them

on that note maybe we could put together a standard letter that could be sent to your local reps telling them the benefits of encouraging motor homes into the area and how that might be achieved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

we could put together a standard letter

Very good idea ...get writing !:D

Advertisement