Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translator for Chinese or Hebrew text

Options
  • 14-09-2010 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know of someone who will accurately translate names into these languages?

My other half wants to get 2 names done up but is scared of ending up with something that's not correct.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Find someone who speaks/writes it?

Not meaning to be smart, but I wouldn't trust the internet for accurate translations. Especially if it's going to be permanently marked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I agree about the internet. Ideally I'd like to find someone that someone knows who wont act the b0llox. They're very personal tattoos that she wants so she wants them right.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hebrew Fonts here:

http://www.jewishsoftware.com/products/Hebrew_Fonts_for_Microsoft_Word_747.asp

Just copy and paste into your Windows/fonts folder and select in Word.

Use the largest text size you can and then copy and paste into paint or some other graphics programme and then you can blow it up etc.

Chinese names here :

http://www.1001-tattoos.com/chinese.html

Surprise surprise they're different than what other websites have come back with :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

steve06 wrote: »
    Surprise surprise they're different than what other websites have come back with :D

The Chinese ones are correct.I work with a lad here who speaks 4 different chinese dialects and any Ive gotten him to check he can tell me what they mean.

The Hebrew ones are actual fonts so what you are getting are the same letters in a Hebrew Font.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Why bother getting text in a language you don't understand? You may as well get 'purple monkey dishwasher' written in chinese or hebrew if you are not able to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JonnyBlackrock

I don't know Chinese, but I do know both Hebrew and Japanese if that's any use.

Why bother getting text in a language you don't understand? You may as well get 'purple monkey dishwasher' written in chinese or hebrew if you are not able to read it.
    Because it looks a lot nicer and it's shorter than getting it written in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I'm kind of with J. Bottlehead on this, if it were me I would opt for something that symbolizes that person to me tattooed ,rather that just their name. I think it requires more thought and is a deeper more relevant tattoo than just some letters in a dialect you dont speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Diceicle wrote: »
    I'm kind of with J. Bottlehead on this, if it were me I would opt for something that symbolizes that person to me tattooed ,rather that just their name. I think it requires more thought and is a deeper more relevant tattoo than just some letters in a dialect you dont speak.

It also avoids the horrible situation where the situation with the people may change (I accept kids names, as that situation doesn't change).
    steve06 wrote: »
    Because it looks a lot nicer and it's shorter than getting it written in English.

Plus an image will look nicer than text ever will, if looking nice is the primary concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Another thing to consider regarding the risk of it going wrong with getting tattoos in languages you are not native to is that a translator may not be accurate enough, often there can be nuances that drastically change the meaning of words, which, short of being fluent, a person will probably be unaware of:
    e.g. "Drugáil Saor" = "drug free", in a literal sense only, in reality it translates as "free drugs". (though to be honest any twit with even a pass in Irish at Junior Cert. could've told her that one!:rolleyes:)
    Britney's "mysterious" tattoo that actually means "strange".

Most languages are not perfect, what my old teacher used to call, lego-languages, in that A + B does not always end up as the exact sum of the two, but rather that together they take a slightly different meaning.

Then there's the issue of proverbs, which most of the time don't make an ounce of sense when you try to do a literal translation.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JonnyBlackrock

That's very true, Reku.
    There's a shirt you can buy on the internet which says "FREE PALESTINE" on it in about 8 different languages. The problem is that they obviously used Google Translate, so in most of the languages it says "Palestine doesn't cost anything".

I get what you're saying Reku. I suppose the reason she doesn't want to go with an image is because it's for 2 names, so would require 2 images. Sure we'll see what she decides.

Advertisement