Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Happened On Headford Road

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Apparently it was a hit and run so the Garda needed to close the road to collect evidence to prosecute the case.
    A man is still being questioned at Milstreet Garda station in connection with yesterdays hit and run in the city.
    A woman in her forties was taken to UHG with serious injuries after being struck by a car on the Headford road at around a quarter to two.
    It happened near the pedestrian crossing close to Dunnes stores,and the driver of the car left the scene following the incident. http://www.galwaynews.ie/14983-man-still-held-questioning-following-city-hit-and-run

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

Turns out the acciedent was a hit and run!! ....No wonder there were no cars at the crime scene. Some fine skid marks left at the pedestrian crossing too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Someone was arrested for it and is in Mill Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Just adding my opinion to Galway's traffic problems:

I reckon one major contributor to the awful traffic here is dumb traffic lights.
    Every evening during the week, cars are backuped up over the Quincentenial bridge,
    to the bodkin roundabout, and from there are backed up, along the headford road (Dunnes),
    and also Sean Mulvoy road.
    Meanwhile 5 cars gather on newcastle road heading out of the city (Clifden direction), and the dumb lights, stop the main traffic to allow these 5 cars through (and something simliar coming from Clifden).
    Can it be that hard to detect a huge line of traffic approaching the lights, versus small traffic on other side,
    and give priority accordingly?
    I've seen similar situation at Moneenageisha junction, even though the lights there are supposed to be smart.
    Fixing these 2 junctions I reckon would relieve the traffic situation alot, although admittedly Moneenageisha can often get backed up at all 4 entrances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I live beside there and we walked past a few times during the day from just after the accident. We were chatting to the gards and they said it was a hit and run so that's probably why they closed the road for so long, saw them using some equipment to look at the skid marks too checking for speed and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

jj72 wrote: »
    Turns out the acciedent was a hit and run!! ....No wonder there were no cars at the crime scene. Some fine skid marks left at the pedestrian crossing too
    From the car or victim,

I'll get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

Have you seen how quickly the lights at the pedestrian crossing on the Headford Rd change? If you blink you'll miss the amber and find yourself running a red. Dangerously fast light change.

harryd2 wrote: »
    Just adding my opinion to Galway's traffic problems:

I reckon one major contributor to the awful traffic here is dumb traffic lights.
    Every evening during the week, cars are backuped up over the Quincentenial bridge,
    to the bodkin roundabout, and from there are backed up, along the headford road (Dunnes),
    and also Sean Mulvoy road.
    Meanwhile 5 cars gather on newcastle road heading out of the city (Clifden direction), and the dumb lights, stop the main traffic to allow these 5 cars through (and something simliar coming from Clifden).
    Can it be that hard to detect a huge line of traffic approaching the lights, versus small traffic on other side,
    and give priority accordingly?
    I've seen similar situation at Moneenageisha junction, even though the lights there are supposed to be smart.
    Fixing these 2 junctions I reckon would relieve the traffic situation alot, although admittedly Moneenageisha can often get backed up at all 4 entrances.

That's not true. There are more than 5 cars waiting at the N6/N59 junction outbound on the N59 in the evening.
    Also that junction is a major pedestrian crossing point.

thegrayson wrote: »
    Have you seen how quickly the lights at the pedestrian crossing on the Headford Rd change? If you blink you'll miss the amber and find yourself running a red. Dangerously fast light change.

That road has 50kph limit so no one should be travelling so fast as to blink and miss the lights changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

bubbaloo wrote: »
    Ronnie - you obviously weren't sitting in the traffic last night or you would never say that this thread is tripe!

I didn't say this thread is tripe. I said that post I quoted was utter tripe.

It helps to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

When are you people going to listen.
    Theres only one solution to Galway's worsening traffic problems.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again,

Monorail.

Monorail,

Monorail!

+ an outer by-pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

From the car or victim,

I'll get my coat

I tried so hard not to laugh but failed.........but seriously god bless the poor woman, it must have been an awful shock for her and obviously no laughing matter!!:)

I left the college yesterday at 3pm and didn't get to Lough Atalia till an hour later. Luckily I realised as a born and bred Westsider that this level of traffic wasn't normal and turned on to Galway Bay FM where I soon learned of the incident. Luckily, otherwise I would've tried to go home via the bridge and Terryland Rd:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I didn't say this thread is tripe. I said that post I quoted was utter tripe.

It helps to read.

Apologies - I thought you said the thread was tripe! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Surely a filter lane going towards Headford could have been put in place on the right side, this would have allowed single lane traffic out of town, someone needs to take a look at what kind of alternative routes to put in place if the likes of this ever happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

There are only two though, the tuam road and dyke road unless you want to take a detour around lough corrib.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

soundbyte wrote: »
    2 lanes closed in one direction was it? Why didnt they introduce a contraflow system in the other 2 lanes. The guards were there to do point duty anyway.

They did the best solution, there were gardai directing traffic down the dike road for the cars coming from town, and up sean mulvoy rd for the traffic coming from the bridge, can't see what else they could have done. A contra flow on the dual carriageway would be dodgy as its difficult to turn off the roundabout back on to the wrong side of the headford rd. The kerbs channel the traffic off to the left, so you'd struggle to make the turn. Same problem when you come out at the other end, you'd never get onto the roundabout at the Menlo.

The lack of an outer bypass is the real problem here, not poor contingency planning by the gardai.

To the other poster talking about the female garda standing at the headford rd, she was letting residents in/out of dun na coiribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

..2 wheels good...

Give us politician with a willingness and funding for usable lanes...t'wood help avoid a repeat city paralysis..

bike_messenger+traffic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

thegrayson wrote: »

There should really be a pedestrian bridge there instead of the pedestrian lights. It would improve safety and traffic flow. Same goes for those lights immediately after the Menlo Park roundabout. Unfortunately Galway City Council have no imagination whatsoever so we ended up with way too many roundabouts which can't cope with traffic levels and pedestrians have to cross extremely busy 4 lane roads at road level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

They did the best solution, there were gardai directing traffic down the dike road for the cars coming from town, and up sean mulvoy rd for the traffic coming from the bridge, can't see what else they could have done. A contra flow on the dual carriageway would be dodgy as its difficult to turn off the roundabout back on to the wrong side of the headford rd. The kerbs channel the traffic off to the left, so you'd struggle to make the turn. Same problem when you come out at the other end, you'd never get onto the roundabout at the Menlo.

The lack of an outer bypass is the real problem here, not poor contingency planning by the gardai.

To the other poster talking about the female garda standing at the headford rd, she was letting residents in/out of dun na coiribe.

+ 1,000

This incident really showed the Galway road/transport network up for what it really is - pathetic!!! We don't have nearly enough capacity for normal circumstances: in the last week it has taken me an hour to get from Doughiska to Westside (approx. 8km) on several occasions where there were no incidents! And when there is an incident like yesterday the whole place comes to a complete standstill because there is absolutely no redundancy in the network. It's simply not good enough and the very small minority who have dragged the bypass through the courts should be run out of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

A contra flow on the dual carriageway would be dodgy as its difficult to turn off the roundabout back on to the wrong side of the headford rd. The kerbs channel the traffic off to the left, so you'd struggle to make the turn..
    I've seen this work in other cities for similar circumstances.
    Can be done with some traffic cones and guards.
    Although trucks can prove tricky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

...there were gardai directing traffic down the dike road for the cars coming from town, and up sean mulvoy rd for the traffic coming from the bridge, ......

I travelled up the Sean Mulvoy Road and as I said before the only Garda I saw was at the Headford Road, and she was nowhere near the entrance/exit Dun na Coiribe - she was at the edge of the roundabout. The Gardai may have been there after the incident at 2pm but at 5.30-6pm (PEAK traffic times on a normal day) they were nowhere to be seen. They have learnt absolutely nothing from previous instances and will learn nothing from yesterday because they don't give a c**p!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

bubbaloo wrote: »
    I travelled up the Sean Mulvoy Road and as I said before the only Garda I saw was at the Headford Road, and she was nowhere near the entrance/exit Dun na Coiribe - she was at the edge of the roundabout.
    She was at teh round about because if you left dun na c you had to go the wrong way back towards the roundabout and then get out into the oncoming traffic. She stopped traffic to let me out anyway, so no complaints there.

Didn't head up sean mulvoy rd though, don't know if the joyce roundabout need gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

It's policy to inconvenience motorists????

C'mon,accident like that are a potential crime scene, evidence needs to be gathered, this is similar in every country.
    Perhaps sometimes it could be done quicker but then Gardai are under resourced as it is and there are lots of readings that need to be taken from a scene.

Or else Gardai will have failed to collect enough evidence, which would be complained about aswell...

Yes, it is policy to inconvenience motorists.
    Its purpose is to encourage us to slow down.
    Its only in the last few years that this policy has come into force.
    Before then, even after a fatal accident a road was re-opened (if it even closed in the first place) within an hour or so.
    I distinctly recollect this policy being discussed on the media.
    Regarding surveying the scene & the collection of evidence, the road remains closed for hours after those tasks have been completed.
    If you believe that ridiculous policies aren't in force in this country, then i urge you to travel on the old traditional route from Kilbeggan (if memory serves me correctly) towards Dublin where the road is wider & better than most national roads.
    The speed limit on that route is now set at 50mph.
    This is policy to force motorists to use the toll motorway route.
    Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion so i'll agree to differ with you.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Well there we have it folks, the most ridiculous post ever on Boards. That is utter tripe. Were you in the Ardilaun last night too?

Your lack of manners is appalling.
    When you learn & then put into practice some basic common courtesy, i might then consider engaging in discourse with you.
    In the interim i'll ignore you & your disrespectful, offensive & immature comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

bagels wrote: »
    If you believe that ridiculous policies aren't in force in this country, then i urge you to travel on the old traditional route from Kilbeggan (if memory serves me correctly) towards Dublin where the road is wider & better than most national roads.

There's a 5 mile section of that road just after Enfield that has a continous white line and a 50mph restriction but it has been that way for years, presumably because it was a high accident location. It has nothing to do with the tolled section of the motorway which is 20 miles long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Yes, it is policy to inconvenience motorists.
    Its purpose is to encourage us to slow down.
    Its only in the last few years that this policy has come into force.
    Before then, even after a fatal accident a road was re-opened (if it even closed in the first place) within an hour or so.
    I distinctly recollect this policy being discussed on the media.
    Regarding surveying the scene & the collection of evidence, the road remains closed for hours after those tasks have been completed.
    Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion so i'll agree to differ with you.
    Your lack of manners is appalling.
    When you learn & then put into practice some basic common courtesy, i might then consider engaging in discourse with you.
    In the interim i'll ignore you & your disrespectful, offensive & immature comments.

You make claims that, not just a policy, but a official policy exists to unnecessarily inconvenience motorist for a excessive period of time after a accident, and then fail to support them with a link to any source.

What response do you expect, this is the internet not 18th century England.

You make claims that, not just a policy, but a official policy exists to unnecessarily inconvenience motorist for a excessive period of time after a accident, and then fail to support them with a link to any source.

What response do you expect, this is the internet not 18th century England.

I have openly stated in previous posts that i haven't a link.
    If posters choose not to believe me then thats fine, I don't have a problem with that.
    I do have a problem with discourtesy though.

What response do i expect?
    A civil one.
    Even in 18th century, people had manners.
    Surely its not too much to expect some common courtesy, even on the internet?

We were all taught some manners and common courtesy.
    If we didn't learn it at home then we did so at school.
    Anonymity on the web doesn't grant posters the right to be nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Screw manners. Your points are ridiculous!

There's a 5 mile section of that road just after Enfield that has a continous white line and a 50mph restriction but it has been that way for years, presumably because it was a high accident location. It has nothing to do with the tolled section of the motorway which is 20 miles long.

I'm referring to a stretch of road thats far longer than 5 miles, if i remember correctly.
    Indeed one particular straight stretch alone must be a few miles long.
    It has wide lanes & wide hard shoulders.
    This particular stretch is much better than any part of the Galway-Tuam road.
    When i last travelled on it (in the afternoon) i was the only vehicle in either direction for as far as the eye could see, and that was quite a distance.
    If you believe otherwise then thats fine with me.

• Advertisement

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Screw manners. Your points are ridiculous!

Thank you for proving my point for me.
    I rest my case.
    Your unenlightening unmannerly comment is neither a credit to you nor to those who were tasked with your upbringing.

Advertisement