Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking dell to small claims?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I know a friend who had their newly ordered laptop delivered somewhere in Galway instead of Cork. There was alot of the sort of rubbish you are putting up with from them, as they believed it had been delivered when in fact it hadn't.

He got a solicitor to ring Dell, who quite simply said, if my client doesn't have his PC by 6pm tonight we begin court proceedings in the morning, he had his PC from dell by 6.10pm that day.

Hire a solicitor, and get them to either ring up, or send a letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭oohlala

To be clear i have sent two registered formal complaint letters to them. The email i sent today was just telling them i am going through small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Just to update this (sorry to hijack, i'll make a separate thread but it might be relevant) - Dell called. Some guy who was the head of the customer relations unit (which i doubt).

He started off by saying that I'm out of warranty. I said warranty is in addition to my statutory rights and that the product should be of merchantable quality for a reasonable amount of time and I didn't think that a constant problem recurring for over a year consistutes merchantable or reasonable time-wise.

He disagreed and said that in the UK you can only complain up to 2 years after you bought the product. I said whatever about the UK, but I live in Ireland, and there is no time frame in law on this.

Then he said that he won't charge me for a repair :confused::confused: wow, i said you've NEVER charged me for a repair. He said he wouldn't discuss it any further but because I have no warranty he would only offer a free repair and that was that.

I told him to email me that in writing because I want to examine it with a solicitor.

What do you make of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Kimia wrote: »
    Just to update this (sorry to hijack, i'll make a separate thread but it might be relevant) - Dell called. Some guy who was the head of the customer relations unit (which i doubt).

He started off by saying that I'm out of warranty. I said warranty is in addition to my statutory rights and that the product should be of merchantable quality for a reasonable amount of time and I didn't think that a constant problem recurring for over a year consistutes merchantable or reasonable time-wise.

He disagreed and said that in the UK you can only complain up to 2 years after you bought the product. I said whatever about the UK, but I live in Ireland, and there is no time frame in law on this.

Then he said that he won't charge me for a repair :confused::confused: wow, i said you've NEVER charged me for a repair. He said he wouldn't discuss it any further but because I have no warranty he would only offer a free repair and that was that.

I told him to email me that in writing because I want to examine it with a solicitor.

Sorry to hijack thread also but having similar probs with a Dell XPS M1330. Laptop won't even start. Out of warranty and have it since June 08. Repaired once while in warranty but the same problem has come back to haunt us or so I believe. Very common fault apparently. Got quoted €410 to fix today from some guy (sounded Indian) in tech support. No way I can afford that. €160 to renew warranty. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Sorry to hijack thread also but having similar probs with a Dell XPS M1330. Laptop won't even start. Out of warranty and have it since June 08. Repaired once while in warranty but the same problem has come back to haunt us or so I believe. Very common fault apparently. Got quoted €410 to fix today from some guy (sounded Indian) in tech support. No way I can afford that. €160 to renew warranty. Any advice?

im stunned at how how bad Dell are tbh, never liked them and will ever ever buy from them after reading this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭oohlala

Got my scc appliction today!!!!

I was in a store called back from the future in Dublin and they had a look at it for me and gave me some advice. Tbh great advice so before you shell out money to dell (who are obviously completely incapable of repairing anything) maybe check with them? They were extremely professional and really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭pat1981

Hi Op, just my 50 cents from someone who is already in the scc process. As ranger pointed out one complaint letter should be sent (registered €5.25).template of this letter from consumer.ie
    Alow them 10 working days to reply. If your letter is ignored or your not happy with their reply then the next and only process is the scc. This in most cases can be done online,cost €15. Remember when you make a application to the small claims tell them what you want wheather its a refund, repair or replacement. Its important to know the respondent has 15 calender days to respond to your claim,if they fail to do this then you will get a judgement in your favour,you'll have to swear an affidavit but thats it.
    If they contest your claim then it will be the judges decision. Also bring all correspondence,proof of purchase etc to court good luck. btw dont waste anymore of your time sending emails or letters except what I said above,you maybe stressing yourself and in all honestly they don't care.smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

delllat wrote: »
    i dell with dell extensively ,almost daily and we have a wide range of their machines

any problems that crop up with the latitude or precision models are delt with fast

if its an inspiron ,god help you

the service is worlds apart betweeen consumers and business product lines

Funny - that sounds EXACTLY like Dell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Kimia wrote: »

your mistake was to accept the call or suggest email as they will never give in over the phone or email as this is all handled by indian customer care staff, but as soon as you go to the trouble of physically writing a letter to them then someone in ireland must read it and respond so it costs them and they then know that you will be prepared to go the distance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

They emailed me a BS letter saying that they would be happy to repair my laptop under warrenty (which I don't have) so the letter made no sense.

I just filed the claim there anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement