Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What cable to use for garden lights

Options
  • 14-09-2010 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I have wiring from the MCB that terminates at an exterior junction box outside the front door. I want to run a cable from this to the garden (I have a plastic pipe installed from the junction box under the path/driveway to the garden through which I can run the cable) to connect up some lights that I will place along the driveway. What type of cable do I need and how do I connect up several lights to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

usually 3x1.5 swa is used if the cable is exsposed or buried. if its not exsposed and in conduit you could use 3x1.5 nym.(cable size usually depends on the lenght of the run)
    usually garden lights have a certain ammount of flex attached, so you could just run the lead from the fitting into an ip rated jb where its connected to the swa or nym.
    i would suggest using raytech gel in the junction boxes to completely seal them, but only after all the fittings have been tested and are working propperly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

re using nym in a conduit, if water lodges in the conduit then u will have problems in about 5 years
    use swa if at all possible

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

Carlow52 wrote: »
    re using nym in a conduit, if water lodges in the conduit then u will have problems in about 5 years
    use swa if at all possible

is nym not clased as an outdoor cable? or do you mean if its submerged in water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

that cable should be rcd'd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    that cable should be rcd'd

Yea i always RCD`d garden lights, Sometimes i even connected them from a socket through a double pole switch and fuse spur.

Id go with the swa cable. To connect to lights you need connector oboe boxes maybe, weather proof junction boxes of adequade size for connecting the cables, and fill them with scotch cast resin if possible.

Last one i did we used junction boxes with the threaded knockouts and screwed swa glands into them.

• Advertisement

yea rcd/rcbo protection

earth/gland the armour

i prefer the solid resin as well-acts as a cord grip/.mechanical protection in comparison to these new jellys etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

is nym not clased as an outdoor cable? or do you mean if its submerged in water.

yes, submerged in water in conduit : I had to redo it earlier this summer for a client

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Its likely that the plastic pipe through which I plan to run this cable will fill with water so swa is the cable to use. I forgot to mention that the proposed circuit for this cable is on a rcd on the main circuit board.

Is there a limit to the number of lights that I can run off the cable, wattage etc?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I agree that using an RCD is good practice, but AFAIK it is not a regulation.

If an RCD is used it would be best to use a dedicated one.

+1 on the SWA

Its likely that the plastic pipe through which I plan to run this cable will fill with water so swa is the cable to use. I forgot to mention that the proposed circuit for this cable is on a rcd on the main circuit board.

Is there a limit to the number of lights that I can run off the cable, wattage etc?

If you run a 3x 1.5 swa the mcb would be a 10 amp one so the wattage limit would be around 2000 watts, so thats the only real limit, on a longer run the watts limit should be reduced. If i was doing it i`d keep it to 1000 watts myself, that should be plenty for a few garden lights.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »

+1 on the SWA

Might be a regulation for lights not on the house itself is it not? Im not sure myself. I have taken them from sockets but then use a double pole switch if the circuit does get water logged so it can be isolated.

Dedicated one best for sure.

2011 wrote: »

+1 on the SWA

rcbo preferably

think it's a rule- re: lights not attached to building

i always do it -maybe someone can confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

confirm that for you
    outside lights not attached to a building must be protected by rcd
    as m cebee says a rcbo is probably more convenient to use

Advertisement