Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beaufort Scale

Options
  • 14-09-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭

Has anything above 12 ever been recorded at an Irish coastal station. Force 12 winds seems rare, even for Irish coastal regions during a storm, so I presume the answer is no. I'm guessing anything above force 12 only applies to regions that get extreme weather events.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I don't think there is an "above 12" since 12 is as high as it goes. Everything over 64 knots is 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

hmm. i thought the scale was extended at some point. i'm probably wrong about that though.

hmm. i thought the scale was extended at some point. i'm probably wrong about that though.

Well yeah but it doesn't apply to us, only used in Taiwan and mainland China.

The Beaufort scale was extended in 1946, when Forces 13 to 17 were added.[4] However, Forces 13 to 17 were intended to apply only to special cases, such as tropical cyclones. Nowadays, the extended scale is only used in Taiwan and mainland China, which are often affected by typhoons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

archives-1974-1-12-0-0.png

124 m.p.h. was recorded at Kilkeel in County Down, making it the highest sea-level wind speed recorded in Ireland.

http://www.met.ie/climate/wind.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes I was Christened on this day and my parents said that the pubs closed and trees blew down and there was no power, although that happened a lot in those days. They mentioned 1961 too and storm Debbie

• Advertisement
Advertisement