Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loughrea as a tourist destination

Options
  • 14-09-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Lord, this is funny, Tourists in Loughrea!!!!!! :D

http://www.galwaynews.ie/14968-call-explore-tourist-potential-loughrea

That would be a good one. Not even Galway people want to set foot in the hole. Although I do see tour buses going for night stop overs at the new hotel. God, how sickened they must be when they realise they can only really sit there and watch tv :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

But if Loughrea is in Galway, and Galway people don;t want to set foot there, the town must be deserted or full of people not from Galway . .. .
    strange that
    What have you got against Loughrea ?
    I find it as nice as any other town in the west of Ireland and a lot nicer than others
    maybe im not seeing something that you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

I've had people from as far away as New Zealand and the US stay here, and they loved it. Loughrea is a great town and it gets more tourists than you think...that is, if you think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Loughrea is a grand spot! Always enjoyed myself there and not a rough spot like many similar sized towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've added a link to the OP as an explanation.
    Hopefully they'll be able to attract tourists somehow. With the bypass in place now traffic and commerce has decreased.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

biko wrote: »
    I've added a link to the OP as an explanation.
    Hopefully they'll be able to attract tourists somehow. With the bypass in place now traffic and commerce has decreased.

The by-pass (N6) is now in place over 5 years... Since then commerce has increased due to the fact that years ago the grid lock was off-putting for people wanting to drop into town for a few bits. Now they can come to town and have peace to some extent.

My other point is not alone in the Town by-passed, now all Galway-Dublin traffic is channelled 9 km north on the M6 Motorway. However this had no notable commercial bias towards the town as its been bypassed to this traffic since 2005.

Back on topic, I would love to see Loughrea thriving however there are too many in the business end of things happy to see "a small town" mentality continue and a farcical situation which inhibits growth and prosperity. This attitude and more will have to change If they want to attract Tourists.

Lovely town though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

What's wrong with Loughrea?
    It might not be the most buzzing place in the country, but it definitely isn't a "hole"

Advertisement