Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Essential software for College

• 14-09-2010 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is that time of year again and I am about to head of to college.

I have a laptop that was bought for "educational purposes" a few years ago but it was never used for such, however I am expecting that this will change.

I am doing a Law course and I expect to have to use the laptop quite a bit, for typing stuff up etc... However today I discovered that I don't even have a word processor!(I usually use googles online one for the brief things I have had to type out) I was thinking of downloading OpenOffice, but am a bit unsure as to whether that will be the best choice. Is there an alternative? Will it be able to open all the text files etc I will be given? I know it comes with a PowerPoint type program, but if I make a PowerPoint show on a different computer will it be compatible with OO?

Anyways, does anyone else have any recommendations for any other programs that will help with college life? Preferably free, as I am a tight git.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

OpenOffice will be fine, just make sure to save in .rtf format. The powerpoint software allows you to save in and open powerpoint files as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Bitorrent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

You can't go wrong with OO. I'm pretty sure it has full interoperability with office. I've been using it for years and never had any faults (with layouts/fonts or reading files).

Also check here if you want more info.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/620845/head-to-head-office-2010-vs-open-office-3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OpenOffice is the business.
    It should work with most MSOffice applications, and it's free.
    Get it and get some ppt, xls off the web etc and try for yourself.
    Have a look on websites like www.thefreecountry.com for more free SW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Tefral

know you said free but this is a great deal http://www.software4students.ie/Microsoft_Office_2010_Professional_Plus-details.aspx

open office is pretty good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Thanks for all the replies guys! Am downloading OpenOffoce atm, and if any issue develop with that I will get that Microsoft deal cronin_j linked.

Any other useful programs around for college? I would love a program in which you fill in your email passwords and stuff and it kind of combines them all? I had a windows live one before but it was terrible and kept crashing. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There a few "password keeper apps" but I find TrueCrypt good.
    It gives you an encrypted folder/drive where you can store all your secret stuff, just don't forget the password to open it!

biko wrote: »
    There a few "password keeper apps" but I find TrueCrypt good.
    It gives you an encrypted folder/drive where you can store all your secret stuff, just don't forget the password to open it!
    Ah that sounds cool!

No I meant a program that checks all your inboxs and stuff, all in one UI.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Ah that sounds cool!

No I meant a program that checks all your inboxs and stuff, all in one UI.

Gmail can aggregate all your email into one inbox(if you have multiple email addresses), might be worth looking into that.

Its hard to tell you what to download unless you know what you need.
    But if you need to get something, just google what you need , and add the word "open source" to the search. There is almost an open source version of every software available!!

• Advertisement

Gmail can aggregate all your email into one inbox(if you have multiple email addresses), might be worth looking into that.

Its hard to tell you what to download unless you know what you need.
    But if you need to get something, just google what you need , and add the word "open source" to the search. There is almost an open source version of every software available!!
    Im such a dope. I use gmail everyday and I never knew that.

Im such a dope. I use gmail everyday and I never knew that.

Depends on who your other email accounts are with. Yahoo I know charge you for pop access to their servers. But if its just eircom or some other one from your ISP, you should be fine.

I found a program that does what I want, Thunderbird.

I found a program that does what I want, Thunderbird.

ORLY :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 JoeyJonson

LastPass is very good for keeping all passwords that you use stored. You log into it when you open up internet and then anytime you visit a site and use the login for the first time, it stores the details and automatically logs you in the next time you go to that site.

Natural Reader is a good tool if you have a lot of info that you want to copy and paste into for it to read back to you. Voice can get a little annoying though. Dragon is better but is paid.

I used audible.co.uk to download audiobooks to play on iphone and ipad and in the car. you get 2 credits free for signing up and then pay £7.99 per month for 1 credit afterwards

Advertisement