Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maplin - Faulty equipment?

Options
  • 14-09-2010 4:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Ok, I bought a gadget in Maplin 3 weeks ago for €80 and the last week it has been acting faulty, I am having to reset it two or three times a day and it is a pos to be honest.

It has a year guarantee but my question here is, I live over 100miles away from the store where I bought it and don't want to make the drive back there again to get another one of them. I wonder could I post it back to them for a refund? (I paid by Credit Card so they could just credit it back?). I don't want to take a replacement model as it will probably be the same story again and I am sorry I just did not order in direct from the UK but I needed the product there and then.

Do I have to take a replacement or can I get a refund? The gadget is faulty but was working perfectly up until it got a mind of its own.

How are Maplin with postal returns? It is small so postage would be small and a lot less than half a tank of fuel to drive up there again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

as it is faulty I would imagine you would be offered a repair or replacment as opposed to a refund.

Give them a call and see what your options are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

whippet wrote: »
    as it is faulty I would imagine you would be offered a repair or replacment as opposed to a refund.

Give them a call and see what your options are.

Just rang them there now, they said if I post it in they will test it out and send me out a new one. Hopefully it is just faulty and not some design flaw than is messing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Under Consumer Law you are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. This is offered at the discretion of the retailer, but you can reject it if you feel it is not reasonable. The onus is on the purchaser and retailer to come to a mutual deal.

In your case, they are meeting their end of the legal requirements by offering to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

they are doing more then meeting the requirement, they are not obliged to accept returns through the post as you did not buy it mail order.

the fact that you live far away from the shop is not their fault. the service they have offered you is above what they are requireed to do and i think it should be noted.

what branch is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

the service they have offered you is above what they are requireed to do and i think it should be noted.

Ah hang on, tis not like they are driving the 100 miles to pick up the gadget.

It's whats wrong with a vast majority of customer service in this country, no retailer should be happy to stay within the minimum of what is required of them by law.

Maplin are 100% in the wrong, they sold a faulty product, they should be bending over backwards to right the wrong. I'm not going to "note" or applaud them because they will sign for and open a parcel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

they didn't knowing sell them a faulty product!

as i said they don't have to accept it back by post or in fact post back a replacement. maplin head office would pay for it to be sent back to the customer so probably the manager is in fact paying for it to be sent back themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Boggles wrote: »
    Ah hang on, tis not like they are driving the 100 miles to pick up the gadget.

It's whats wrong with a vast majority of customer service in this country, no retailer should be happy to stay within the minimum of what is required of them by law.

Maplin are 100% in the wrong, they sold a faulty product, they should be bending over backwards to right the wrong. I'm not going to "note" or applaud them because they will sign for and open a parcel.

It was working when I bought it in fairness and it worked fine for two weeks and then developed an intermittent fault which would see it work away for a bit and then i'd have to reset it. The Maplin store is the Limerick branch in Childers Road and I am happy with the level of customer service so far, even if not impressed by the durability of the product in question.

Advertisement