Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best "starter" digital SLR?

• 14-09-2010 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a decent digital SLR as a good all rounder to start off with. If there is a thread already dealing with this I apologise, just redirect me.

Thanks

Ado

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Ado75 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent digital SLR as a good all rounder to start off with. If there is a thread already dealing with this I apologise, just redirect me.

Thanks

Ado

My Nikon D50 that is going up on Adverts.ie later tonight, a great starter camera :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I'd say take a look at the canon 1000d. I'm sure others will offer other alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

As a starting point pixmania have ther slr's devided into consumer and professional taking a look at the consumer reviews may give you an idea of which ones are beginner friendly, the nikon d5000 has gotten great reviews on its "beginner friendlyness" with functions such as the aperture ring on screen helping you to understand aperture and shutter speeds and also a minimum amount of buttons, although the d5000 is still relatively new and still quite pricey, another thing i read somewhere is that the more numbers in the name (for canon and nikon anyways) the more of a beginner camera it is.

Ive heard the d3000s quality is much the same as the d5000 so if your on a budget that may be a good option either way a lot of your understanding of using an slr will intially start with a bit of reading online, so choose the ones which fits your price bracket and read up on reviews of them when you find one that sounds good for you then go for it. heres a few to names to get you started Nikon d3000, Canon 1000d, Canon 500d, and Nikon d300. n.b most of these cameras picture quality will be around the same its the lens and the photogragher that will make the ultimate difference. sorry for the long windedness of it all, hope this ws helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

a starter camera depends on your level of understanding..... have you used a bridge camera ...all the setting of a DSLR but without interchangeable lenses and the benefit of a compact size.

Canon G10, G11 etc

also depends on your budget .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I have Pentax K-x and really like it. €500 when I bought it.

Anything with a camera manufacturer's name is going to be pretty good, to be honest. Same advice as everytime - go pick them up, play with them, see which feels best in the hands, which button layout suits you. Specs are all excellent nowadays, so don't get bogged down in them (if you're buying new, that is).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ado75

BrianjG wrote: »
    Old Perry wrote: »
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    Prenderb wrote: »

Thanks guys, I'll research what you have given me so far. What I'm primarily concerned about is lens quality. I know zeiss work with some manufacturers but do issues like this matter anymore? Or are all cameras of a similar standard at this entry level?

thanks again

Ado

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

BrianjG wrote: »
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    Prenderb wrote: »

Thanks guys, I'll research what you have given me so far. What I'm primarily concerned about is lens quality. I know zeiss work with some manufacturers but do issues like this matter anymore? Or are all cameras of a similar standard at this entry level?

thanks again

Ado

decent zeiss costs big bucks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jonboy74

I picked up a Canon 550D (T2i) for my first dSLR. Before that I used the Canon SX20 IS. I'd highly recommend the 550D.

A good friend of mine has the Pentax K-x and is getting stunning quality pictures. I went with Canon because of the wide range of lenses available for the Canon and I'll be sticking with Canon if/when I decide to upgrade later so I can continue to use my lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

for actual entry the 1000d. The 500d has a hefty price tag for a camera so light and small,and as a beginner alot of the features may be wasted, then again all down to budget. I know in the shops a 1000d with an 18-55 and 75-300 lens is going for €650. You could throw in a good quality lens as well with that and it would still be less than the 550d. Again, depends om budget and what you've in mind.
    You should also consider a mint condition used 350d :)http://www.adverts.ie/286911/digital-cameras/canon-eos-10d-40d-and-350d-dslr-for-sale-plus-lenses-and-flash/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

jonboy74 wrote: »
    I went with Canon because of the wide range of lenses available for the Canon .

+1 Canon have a great range of lenses which is definitly something to consider when buying an SLR

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It would probably be best to read the FAQ Sticky as there is a lot of advice in there.

Quality glass is going to cost a lot, usually more than an Entry Level DSLR Body. If you mean the kit lens then those vary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Question is very subjective....

Camera Labs Buyer's Guide here.

I got a Pentax K-X and like it a lot.
    As someone said go into a store and feel them all.
    I thought the Canon was a bit plastic-ky.
    Most people have Canon or Nikon so if you have friends with dslrs maybe stick with what they have and you can borrow, swap lenses etc.

I do like the Pentax K-X though, gets very good reviews.

(there's also dozens of threads already about buying new camera).
    what do you want it for?
    are you new to photogrpahy (if so maybe get a bridge camera to start with, Panasonic TZ 28/38 or similar)
    etc.

joepenguin wrote: »
    dinneenp wrote: »

Thanks again guys, the Pentax seems to be a contender on price and quality next to that Canon. I'll definitely go down to wexford street and feel up a few, LOL. Before making my mind up!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

joepenguin wrote: »

Thanks again guys, the Pentax seems to be a contender on price and quality next to that Canon. I'll definitely go down to wexford street and feel up a few, LOL. Before making my mind up!
    I would stick to nikon or canon tbh, they would have the most second hand bits and pieces for sale on the likes of adverts.

That is definitely true.

For anyone interested, I went with the Pentax Kx in the end. I got an excellent package off ebay for just over 500eur (P+P included). It all checks out - I thought it was excellent value. I've posted a link to his current offer at the bottom (the same package). I'm having fun already!

The package included

K-x Black Body
    SMC PENTAX DAL 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Lens
    Software CD-ROM
    USB Cable I-USB7
    Strap O-ST53
    Body Mount Cover
    AA Lithium Batteries (*4)
    Manual
    Wide Angle Lens
    2X Telephoto Lens
    UV Digital Filter
    Digital Flash
    8GB SDHC
    Extra AA Battery
    Professional Camera Bag
    SDCard Reader
    50 INCH Tripod
    Lens Cleaning Kit
    Mini Travel Tripod
    LCD Screen Protector

http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-PENTAX-K-X-12-4MP-WH-DSLR-CAMERA-18-55MM-3LENS-KIT-/110561776079?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item19bdfed1cf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

the claim that it's new with 3 month warranty is a bit suspect though

I would have thought any new camera should be coming with at least 1 year warranty, 3 months might mean a refurbished camera

nothing wrong with that but does seem misleading if that's the case

the claim about 3 lens on the listing, again misleading as a wide angle adapter and Telephoto Lens adapter are not really separate lenses

not saying its a bad deal but just to be aware that its slightly misleading

the claim that it's new with 3 month warranty is a bit suspect though

I would have thought any new camera should be coming with at least 1 year warranty, 3 months might mean a refurbished camera

nothing wrong with that but does seem misleading if that's the case

the claim about 3 lens on the listing, again misleading as a wide angle adapter and Telephoto Lens adapter are not really separate lenses

not saying its a bad deal but just to be aware that its slightly misleading

I know what you are saying on the warranty Ghost Train. I did a lot of research on the guy before I bought. He buys the components seperately but direct from the manufacutures. He put the kits together himself so I suppose the manufacturer would not be happy to extent the warranty to cover that type of sale. The seller has 78,000 sales with a 99% positive feedback rating on ebay. The feedback from buyers is excellent - I suppose thats what swung it for me in the end.

You're correct about the lens adapters but for a beginner like me It's enough to be getting on with. But you are right to point these things out.

For anyone interested, I went with the Pentax Kx in the end.

I have a K-X as well, not too many people have it as far as I know.
    Do you have a Flickr account or similar with K-X pictures?
    Some good resources are-
    http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk
    http://www.pentaxforums.com

Enjoy,
    Pa.

I have a K-X as well, not too many people have it as far as I know.
    Do you have a Flickr account or similar with K-X pictures?
    Some good resources are-
    http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk
    http://www.pentaxforums.com

Enjoy,
    Pa.

I don't have a Flickr account yet. Thanks for the links - very useful.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement