Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mmmmmmmmmm :)

Options
  • 14-09-2010 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

was thinking today that ul would benefit from a pasty shop on campus....the queue in spar for a roll today was madness...so off my imagination went envisaging a neat little pasty shop that sold traditional cornish pastys cheap. for those of you who dont know a pasty is simply...beef potato and some root veg in a pastry case. easy to eat...filling and so so much better than " a chicken roll..." the little past shop would also sell soup and crusty bread in the winter time :D what do you think? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

TBH any sort of competition would be welcome but I'm sure there would be plenty red tape to stop you or slow you down to the point where it wouldn't be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

TheTownie wrote: »
    TBH any sort of competition would be welcome but I'm sure there would be plenty red tape to stop you or slow you down to the point where it wouldn't be worth it.

really? ah i should look into it. i think it would be great tbh but i know what you mean.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

IReland never really took to the Cornish Pasty scene. It's one of a small number of things that are massive in the UK but not here. Unfortunately I can't see a market for it.

To be fair; the choice and standard has improved a lot since I first started - SU Roll obviously; then Subway, Paddocks, Stables, Plaza, Main Restaurant all offer something different for the most part. The only one thing I'd change is that if I had my wish we'd have a Supermacs on campus :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Back when I was there they used wrap the burgers in the scholars and stables with paper which made the burgers soggy and horrible. Hence the name "sog-burgers". Standard of food is (well, was) pretty good in the main restaurant.

Cornish pasties will never take off in an Irish deli unless you chop them up and put them in a cuisine de france roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

Back when I was there they used wrap the burgers in the scholars and stables with paper which made the burgers soggy and horrible. Hence the name "sog-burgers". Standard of food is (well, was) pretty good in the main restaurant.

Cornish pasties will never take off in an Irish deli unless you chop them up and put them in a cuisine de france roll.

hahaha that is a very good point. One can never really hope to change the "wedge/hot chicken roll" culture.... Still I maintain pastys are great:) I thought maybe if it were marketed as the traditional dinner in a pastry it might take off lol

Food isn't that bad on campus though I think it's quite good. Was just a thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Ah ya the amount of restaurants and that around theres plenty, no doubting that. I guess I was referring to the fact the queues are so big in Spar that I would welcome some competition in the quick hot food market, you know something Spar weren't doing like beef burger or cornishes as is the topic in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

What would you need to setup? Would you need a premises on campus or could a stall suffice? The odd time you would see a bbq out on the courtyard. It would definitely be worth looking at. You could setup one day a week at the start, maybe Tuesdays the same day as the farmers market.

Advertisement