Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Directory

Options
  • 14-09-2010 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Looking to buy some jeans and trousers from Next Directory online,I Googled to get the web site and decided to compare price differences from the UK directory to the Irish one. I checked a few here is an example:-

Biker Jeans UK £40
    Biker Jeans IE €54

On XE this converts to €47 what is the extra €7 for ?

Is this a Rip Off ? or is it to do with higher costs to run a business here.

I'm going up North soon so I will be buying from Next there.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

XE may not reflect actual banking exchange rates. Currently we pay .80 or .81. Big companies with set pricing build the chance of these fluctuations into their prices, to cover them if the currency goes crazy.

With the Vat difference, I make it closer to €51.00 converted. Not so crazy a difference.

This question is asked almost daily here, btw, and the same answer applies, different country, different tax regime etc, different pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

GM68 wrote: »
    Looking to buy some jeans and trousers from Next Directory online,I Googled to get the web site and decided to compare price differences from the UK directory to the Irish one. I checked a few here is an example:-

Biker Jeans UK £40
    Biker Jeans IE €54

On XE this converts to €47 what is the extra €7 for ?

Is this a Rip Off ? or is it to do with higher costs to run a business here.

I'm going up North soon so I will be buying from Next there.

when you go up north you'll get a rate of approx 1.23 from your credit card / laser card - so £40 = €49.20

And if you were pissed off at what Next chrge here WHY would you then give the same company your money in the North???

Vat is 21% here and 17.5% in UK.

Business costs are higher (esp wages)

Next are one of the retailers who have a reasonable price difference - try wallis / monsoon / homebase / argos / debenhams (worst) all with 1.5 - 1.6 exchanges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

91011 wrote: »
    when you go up north you'll get a rate of approx 1.23 from your credit card / laser card - so £40 = €49.20

And if you were pissed off at what Next chrge here WHY would you then give the same company your money in the North???

Vat is 21% here and 17.5% in UK.

Business costs are higher (esp wages)

Next are one of the retailers who have a reasonable price difference - try wallis / monsoon / homebase / argos / debenhams (worst) all with 1.5 - 1.6 exchanges.

Not that exchange rate on everything though. I have noticed since the recession that homebase prices are very close to uk prices now. I recently bought a bathroom sink and the rate was approx 1.24.
    <content removed>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

mcwhirter, tone it down. That kind of language will not be tolerated anywhere on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

mcwhirter wrote: »
    I have noticed since the recession that homebase prices are very close to uk prices now. I recently bought a bathroom sink and the rate was approx 1.24.
    <content removed>

that must be very recent as I simply stopped going to them after 2 years of seeing ridiculous pricing strategies. - I found locally owned stores far better priced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

91011 wrote: »
    that must be very recent as I simply stopped going to them after 2 years of seeing ridiculous pricing strategies. - I found locally owned stores far better priced.

Agree, they have definately reduced prices recently but not ALL items. Some seem to be at the old exchange rate.

Advertisement