Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone - WaveLAN

Options
  • 14-09-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I can't get my iPhone 4 to connect to the WaveLan network. Its not a proxy issue, my 1G was fine last year. It actually will not connect (No wave thingy in the top bar) Its getting an IP / DNS address fine, it just won't connect.

Anyone else having similar problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Yeah me too on a 3G

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yep, same problem. It worked okay last year. My best guess is that they are filtering MAC addresses.

I've noticed the Mail app on my Macbook can't check my non-UCD email anymore, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

It's to do with OS4. One of the tech guys said that it's apple's problem and you just have to wait for an update that fixes it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

elgriff wrote: »
    working for me on 3G.
    This is about using the UCD "WaveLAN" WiFi - nothing to do with 3G at all. I get the problem on my iPod Touch, no problem with my Linux netbook.

I have a suspicion that Apple added some kind of polling mechanism to iOS 4, e.g. ping, and calls the connection "down" if that doesn't work. Eduroam works, but it's only used in a couple of buildings.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

bnt wrote: »
    This is about using the UCD "WaveLAN" WiFi - nothing to do with 3G at all. I get the problem on my iPod Touch, no problem with my Linux netbook.

I have a suspicion that Apple added some kind of polling mechanism to iOS 4, e.g. ping, and calls the connection "down" if that doesn't work. Eduroam works, but it's only used in a couple of buildings.

I think he was referring to the iPhone 3G.

I'm suspecting an iOS 4 problem. MAC address filtering is unlikely given the lack security in other aspects of the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Same here for my 3G.

On top of that my mac wont access any webpages beyond the UCD network, i.e i can get sisweb, ucd connect, library, blackboard etc but anything beyond that including google and its no go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Same here for my 3G.

On top of that my mac wont access any webpages beyond the UCD network, i.e i can get sisweb, ucd connect, library, blackboard etc but anything beyond that including google and its no go.
    You need to set your network settings to use the UCD proxy. See here

http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itsupport/wirelessandlaptopsinucd/howtosetupanapplemacforwireless/

You should probably create a new network location called "college". Otherwise you'll have to disable the proxy when connecting to your home network.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭baspower

yea i just came in last week and have been having this problem as well. real pain in the ass..was just speaking to another guy and he told me that the problem was due to ios4..tried all the proxy stuff and still 9 out of 10 times it doesnt work...

is there any solution apart from downgrading?

Is there anyone with an iPad or iPhone/iPod running v3.x that can confirm this problem is isolated to iOS 4?

• Advertisement

just asked my friend who could get her iphone to work what os is she was on, and yep, she said os3....so that's it i guess... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I was told this last week, have been trying to downgrade my ipod touch since then and can't get it to work :(

i believe to downgrade, you need to have your shsh blobs saved either on saurik's servers or locally...redmondpie.com has a few guides..

quite disappointed with apple....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Ah I see, I just got it, so it came with iOS 4 on it, so is that the problem then?

Hopefully apple sort it out soon.

We're not the only site to have issues with a proxy server after the iOS 4 upgrade - see here for example.

I'm in the Library right now, and it seems to be working when I use the IP address of the proxy rather than its DNS name, and enable Authentication.
    • Select "Manual" proxy settings,
    • enter 193.1.172.188 for "Server" and 8484 for "Port".
    • Select "On" for Authentication, enter your student ID for "Username", then your password
    I'm positive I tried this before and it didn't work, so I'm not claiming that this is the solution, but it's something...

— Kingsley Amis

I'm not there to test it, but it was working briefly for me in the library yesterday as well. Then when I looked again a few minutes later it was gone. It seems to work when you enter the settings from scratch and initially connect.

But even without the proxy sever it should be possible to connect to the UCD website, but I'm not even getting a wireless icon in the menubar.

But even without the proxy sever it should be possible to connect to the UCD website, but I'm not even getting a wireless icon in the menubar.
    This is what I was trying to get at earlier when I speculated about Apple adding some kind of "polling": when that fails, due to the proxy, it flags the whole connection as "down". It's still fine for me at the moment - I'm writing this on the IPod Touch 2G in the main Library.

— Kingsley Amis

hey...i took the trouble of downgrading yesterday only to find it the same with 3.1.2....at james joyce library now as well, and just tried your method, works so far..

EDIT: not working after a few minutes... oh well, back to my anatomy book i guess...
    EDIT: now it works...ill try it out for a few hours and see how it goes...thanks man

On iOS 3.x, you could connect to WaveLAN and get the "connected" icon, but you couldn't get to the Internet before you entered the correct Proxy information. Now, with iOS 4.x, they appear to have added an extra "am I connected to the Internet?" test, which must be satisfied before it will give you the "connected" icon and let you do anything. Which shouldn't be a problem in itself, if the Proxy is handling it correctly - and that's something the IT guys can look at. The devil is in the details, but the fact that I can get through reliably today (in the Library) leads me to hope that they have been working on it - and may have cracked it. :cool:

— Kingsley Amis

I was finished early today but I'll give this a try in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks for the on going insight folks. Been trying myself with various proxy / authentication configurations to no avail.

ios 4.1 tried for 3 days now...nothing works...:(

baspower wrote: »
    ios 4.1 tried for 3 days now...nothing works...:(
    I've had no luck for the past couple of days, since after my previous post. Upgraded to iOS 4.1 last night, no difference. Back to Eduroam, then ...

— Kingsley Amis

i tried eduroam but it doesn't work for me..i put in my student id and pin no. and it arrives to the next screen. but when i press the accept button it says can't connect or something like that...tried on multiple occasions...is there any special things that need to be done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Wavelan is working fine for me - iOS4

baspower - to connect to eduroam you have configure your iphone using the iPhone configuration utility to create a Configuration Profile for wifi.

If you like i can show you how to do it with screen shots, although all you really need to know is that you want to use TTLS and PAP for authentication.

To get Eduroam going I had to have WaveLAN going first, connect to eduroam.ucd.ie, and download the Profile from there. (You could use 3G if you have that - I don't.) I suppose you could enter the details manually too.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Ahh that sounds easier than using the iphone configuration utility.

i got eduroam to work....wavelan is just being stubborn though...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

You can actually get lucky with WaveLAN occasionally. It randomly worked for about 10 minutes in the Student Centre today, but I left the phone locked a short while and the connection disappeared.

• Advertisement

Eduroam stopped working for me entirely, even after I deleted and reinstalled the profile, and I asked the IT staff about it. Basically, their responses to these problems are (a) it's not us, blame Apple, (b) Apple will fix it, not us, and (c) eduroam is managed by Computer Science & Informatics, not us. Short version: we can't help you.

So I gave up. Last night I downgraded the iPod Touch 2G to OS 3.0, using the instructions here. I couldn't do v 3.1.x as suggested, because Apple returns the 3194 "you are not eligible" error, even with the HOSTS file changes in place. (Looks like only jailbroken devices can go that way.) I had a backup of v 3.0, which went on nicely (no need for step 6), and only a few unimportant apps refused to go back on. This morning I could use WaveLAN straight away.

Note that this process wipes the device completely, and backups taken while on iOS 4.x will not restore to OS 3.x, so if you do this you need to take care not to lose data. I had all my contacts and calendar synced with Google (their Exchange service on m.google.com), and iTunes did the rest, while other folks may be syncing with Outlook (Win) or Entourage (Mac).

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement