Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone - WaveLAN

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Hoku wrote: »
    Just as Sad Professor reported with the GM release... Just tried out the public release and it works, but takes about a minute to connect.
    I suppose it's better than not connecting at all.

I'm not getting a connection at all on 4.2.1 on the iPhone 4. Didn't wait to see if it would, frankly if it doesn't connected instantly I may as well take out the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Estragon

Tried this a bit today. Was really hoping this would be fixed in 4.2.

It seems to work but in a patchy way. Tried on AUTO with http://proxy.ucd.ie/proxy.pac in as the script url, couldn't get it to work when putting in port numbers.

Sometimes it works for a minute or two but then seems to stop. Wandered around the arts block trying in different places.

I'd say it's not really fixed, in that it's not back to the way it was with iOS 3, which was a bit patchy itself ... disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The "taking a minute to connect" thing happens on 3.x too, and I can live with that. The weird thing is that it only affects Safari, but not apps such as Sky News. On that basis I'll go for 4.2. I'm waiting for the direct download links, so I can use UCD's copious bandwidth to grab 347MB of patch. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Its been working fine for me all morning on 4.2.

kateos2 wrote: »
    Its been working fine for me all morning on 4.2.

What device are you using? 4.2.1 on iPhone 4 isn't working for me.

By the way, in case your looking to use Eduroam:

1) On a cellular connection, go to http://eduroam.ucd.ie

2) Download the Apple iOS certificate. Top right of the page, in the yellow box

3) You will be asked to install it

4) Username is your student number, Password is your Connect Password

5) You should be able to connect to Eduroam no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

ironclaw wrote: »
    What device are you using? 4.2.1 on iPhone 4 isn't working for me.

By the way, in case your looking to use Eduroam:

1) On a cellular connection, go to http://eduroam.ucd.ie

2) Download the Apple iOS certificate. Top right of the page, in the yellow box

3) You will be asked to install it

4) Username is your student number, Password is your Connect Password

5) You should be able to connect to Eduroam no bother.

I'm using an iPod touch on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭baspower

guys....jumped on to ios 4.2.1...so far its working fine for me with the automatic proxy config(...proxy.pac)

But it takes a minute or two at times...but it works...

will test it a couple more days...so far so good

baspower wrote: »
    guys....jumped on to ios 4.2.1...so far its working fine for me with the automatic proxy config(...proxy.pac)

But it takes a minute or two at times...but it works...

will test it a couple more days...so far so good

The problem is in that minute or two I'm waiting, I could have the laptop out and booted. It used work instantaneously and thats the way I'd consider it when its "fixed" However, I can't see it being fixed in future releases as I doubt its considered a bug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I don't want to start a new thread but I can't get on the internet with my Sony Ericsson Xperia x8. Wireless signal is excellent but apparently 'socket not connected' so I can't get on the net. Does anybody know what I must do?

I don't want to start a new thread but I can't get on the internet with my Sony Ericsson Xperia x8. Wireless signal is excellent but apparently 'socket not connected' so I can't get on the net. Does anybody know what I must do?
    Somewhere in the WiFi settings, look for a place to set the proxy server manually: proxy.ucd.ie port 8484. OR, if it has an "auto-configuration URL" option, the URL is http://proxy.ucd.ie/proxy.pac .

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OTNiner

Similar results with iOS 4.2.1 on iPad

New version of the Captive Network Support

GET /library/test/success.html HTTP/1.0

Host: www.apple.com

User-Agent: CaptiveNetworkSupport-166 wispr

Connection: close

This version retains the behaviour of the previous iOS4.1 in that it attempts a http get to apple.com and retries 9 times first at 1 second intervals then 2, 4, 8 and 16 seconds.

When these all fail in this version it then accepts it has a valid network connection and the network symbol comes on the device will work on WaveLAN, this process takes approx 60 seconds and is responsible for the delay mentioned in other posts

As an aside for those interested

eduroam is now available in the Health sciences complex and Tierney Building

Whats odd however is my mate, running an identical iPhone 4 to mine on 4.2.1 got an instant connection in Ag. I can't connect at all in Eng except on Eduroam.

I'm beginning to wonder if iOS devices are being blocked. They would add considerably to the network load and would the most popular device. Can't see why UCD would be bothered to do it, but given the nature of the connection, it wouldn't be hard to make the ping fail.

Installed 4.2.1 last night: today it's working sporadically, but much better than before. I have no trouble believing there's weird stuff happening underneath as OTNiner says.

— Kingsley Amis

after few days of testing, it's been working perfect for me...of course, perfect means including the short delay sometimes...but it ultimately works...no more do i have to go into settings almost everyday...previously on ios 4.1 i had to forget the network,turn off wifi and turn it on back and re-enter the settings everytime it stops connecting to the network...i am a happy soul now....lol

oh yeah, eduroam@Health Science is awesome...the iphone skype app only works on eduroam and 3g for me...guess the port it uses is blocked on wavelan...

4.2.1 on an iPhone 4 behaves the same as the iPad @ 60 second delay before network connected icon turns on on the WaveLAN Network.

OTNiner wrote: »
    4.2.1 on an iPhone 4 behaves the same as the iPad @ 60 second delay before network connected icon turns on on the WaveLAN Network.

I've managed to get connections after 15 to 60 seconds on the iPhone now. Sort of pointless as I only ever used WaveLAN to check my schedule etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

ironclaw wrote: »
    I've managed to get connections after 15 to 60 seconds on the iPhone now. Sort of pointless as I only ever used WaveLAN to check my schedule etc.

I don't know about you guys, but ever since I've been in UCD, since September 2009, I've been using an iPhone (original & 3GS) on the Wavelan network and I've never got it connect without that 15-60 second delay.

So why is this something so new?

I held off updating to iOS4 because I heard it didn't work, but if all that's wrong with 4.2.1 is the delay that's always been there, I think I'll take the plunge and finally update!

RayCarley wrote: »
    I don't know about you guys, but ever since I've been in UCD, since September 2009, I've been using an iPhone (original & 3GS) on the Wavelan network and I've never got it connect without that 15-60 second delay.

So why is this something so new?

I held off updating to iOS4 because I heard it didn't work, but if all that's wrong with 4.2.1 is the delay that's always been there, I think I'll take the plunge and finally update!

I joined the same time as yourself Ray but I used a iPhone 1G, mainly in ENG. And that never had a delay (iOS 3.1.3) so the delay was new for myself when I went to the 4G.

I wouldn't mind but Eduroam works almost instantaneously, so I have a sneaky suspicion that iOS is being restricted on campus. To be fair, it would put a huge load on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

RayCarley wrote: »

Go for it. I was pissed off not being able to connect to the network in college but i can confirm its working grand now if a little slow to connect initially.

• Advertisement

yeah agreed.....4.2.1 is grand!

Advertisement