Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photoshop course

Options
  • 14-09-2010 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Am only just getting into photoshop and am wondering if anybody has any recommendations on a photoshop training course to do? I have looked at the following course Link and it seems to cover everything, but I would like to hear whether people have taken this course before and what was their opinion of it? and if anybody has any alternative courses that they would like to recommend.

Regards
    Tommy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Loads of courses over at lynda.com which imo are much better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭worc

Maybe it's just my personal way of doing things but I'm holding back on my expletives about paying €595 for
    • Lesson 1: Getting to Know the Work Area
    • Lesson 2: Basic Photo Corrections
    • Lesson 3: Retouching and Repairing
    • Lesson 4: Working with Selections
    • Lesson 5: Layer Basics
    • Lesson 6: Masks and Channels
    • Lesson 7: Correcting and Enhancing
    • Lesson 8: Typographic Design
    Two day course, so €297.50 per day, I actually feel a little sick at the thoughts. Anything they're going to show you will be gotten from a book on the subject (and online) and sitting down to work through it. PS book will set you back ~€20-30 ... unless you're goal is to become Adobe Certified to then teach these courses then, I dunno, I would never in good conscience allow someone I knew to spend that money for what you'll get from it.

I can see where some of the expense comes from, if they supply computers and software for everyone to use just for the course but to me a book and you going through it step by step is a way better way of learning. I've used photoshop for 10 years and it's only when you're on your own having to do something that you start to really get it (not that there's even much to "get"). I've been through the "I can use PS now because someone's showing me what to click and it all seems clear" then to leave and try to repeat it at home on my own to hit the "what was that option I was supposed to select!" - I know others who've had that too, learning PS (like most programmes) takes time at it as well as time away from it for your knowledge on it to settle, if I knew someone doing it I'd seriously bet money that even after those two days they wouldn't be able to do half of what they were shown - they'd have to go home and practice everything more and more....which they could have done from the start with a book for 1/20th the cost. But of course your learning style might prefer being shown.

I haven't done those courses so maybe I should be keeping my trap shut since I can't comment on their process - I also dont know what their course manual is like and their free 12 month email support quality...but there's just something about that cost and that list of what they do that doesn't sit well with me knowing that's all in any good PS book for 30 squids.

Edit: Maybe ask this in the digital art and design forum - others there might have done those courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi Guys

Thanks for the feedback, I think the issue in my head is where to start! and this course seems to provide that. I am not hoping to get certified but to merely understand the tool and the principals surrounding editing photos in PS and creating graphics from scratch.

I have no issue with using youtube, Lynda or other online tutorials (just takes that bit longer to sink in to this noggin of mine) if I was able to get a clear path as to what topics should be covered in what order to get the best basis for further education.

Can anybody recommend a good book that will give me what I am looking for above? ideally with CS4\CS5 in mind.

Regards
    Tommy

Screw that advice see below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

tommycahir wrote: »
    Hi All

Am only just getting into photoshop and am wondering if anybody has any recommendations on a photoshop training course to do? I have looked at the following course Link and it seems to cover everything, but I would like to hear whether people have taken this course before and what was their opinion of it? and if anybody has any alternative courses that they would like to recommend.

Regards
    Tommy
    You cant learn photoshop in 3 days, you may aswell burn the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 bunnybaby7000

I've done courses with that crowd, I highly recommend doing them, I learnt photoshop myself but wish i had done a course to start off with, they cover everything and then it's up to you to keep using and learning the skills (they give you a big book)

Doing a course saves weeks of endless internet searches .. how do i?....

Seriously do a classroom course and then keep on top of it yourself! worth the money if you are going to use photoshop professionally!

Photoshop One-on-One by Deke McLelland is a video tutorial series from Lynda.com and will teach you EVERYTHING you need to know about photoshop. It begins with basic structure, what the program does, goes through each tool and the workspace etc etc. EVERYTHING. Over 50 hours of video in it.

Paying $550 for two days and a "big book" is a serious waste of money, id nearly go as far as saying its a scam.

Above poster is clearly pushing for the company imo

Rycn wrote: »
    Photoshop One-on-One by Deke McLelland is a video tutorial series from Lynda.com and will teach you EVERYTHING you need to know about photoshop. It begins with basic structure, what the program does, goes through each tool and the workspace etc etc. EVERYTHING. Over 50 hours of video in it.

Paying $550 for two days and a "big book" is a serious waste of money, id nearly go as far as saying its a scam.

+100 for Deke's course. Happily adopted his Deke keys/workspace.

Photoshop One-on-One by Deke McLelland is a video tutorial series from Lynda.com

+1000

That's who it was - I got one of his videos for PS7 donkeys ago! I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was or his name so didn't mention it. That's actually top advice right there...Deke's stuff is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Agreed. And he makes you go through exercises (they include files) so it's not just watching. You're supposed to work along.

There are several levels of this stuff so you can just go on and on once you're happy with your elementary skills.

• Advertisement

I am not pushing for the company, I've done two courses with them and found them good, it's my honest opinion!

I am not pushing for the company, I've done two courses with them and found them good, it's my honest opinion!
    Honest:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I've been using photoshop since 1994 and I've never been to any kind of training course.

I'd recommend that you teach yourself, led by a book or a series of books, and spend a few hours a day playing with photoshop to get the gist of it.

IMO, it's important that you teach yourself, because there are always more effects / filters / ways of doing things, and unless you have an attitude of exploration and self reliance, down the road you might need to go to another course.

turbot wrote: »
    ...it's important that you teach yourself, because there are always more effects / filters / ways of doing things, and unless you have an attitude of exploration and self reliance, down the road you might need to go to another course.

+1

Honest:rolleyes:

why the hell are you so cynical and suspicious.. you can learn photoshop in 3 days if your computer literate and smart enough.. I guess some people take a little longer :D

you can learn photoshop in 3 days if your computer literate and smart enough
    Haha is that what they told you at your course?

Dream on...

seriously what age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 stevie_d

I'd have to agree with the guys on this one, Learning Photoshop n 2 days is the equivalent of trying to swallow the sea,

I've been using PS 10+ yrs and one is always learning, all you will get in 2 days is an overview of what you can do!

Best suggestion would be get a good book of hands on tutorials to get you comfortable with the app then choose a piece you'd like to do and focus on that particular process!

seriously what age are you?
    Im nearly 10

thought so!

all i'm saying is it is a very good start, a good grounding and then you can learn the detailed stuff yourself, I have learnt a few programs myself and a few through courses and I've always found it less stressful if you start off from a course, especially if you have to learn it in a hurry for a new job or something.

• Advertisement

thought so!

all i'm saying is it is a very good start, a good grounding and then you can learn the detailed stuff yourself, I have learnt a few programs myself and a few through courses and I've always found it less stressful if you start off from a course, especially if you have to learn it in a hurry for a new job or something.

Don't disagree with you, personally I couldn't justify spending that amount of moneyfor such little return, I have done 2 degree courses where PS was thought as part of the course and newbies were still banging their heads .
    against walls after many weeks of training.

You're obviously extremely talented.

why the hell are you so cynical and suspicious.. you can learn photoshop in 3 days if your computer literate and smart enough.. I guess some people take a little longer :D

Not credible at all - no matter how much of a natural you might be.
    stevie_d wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with the guys on this one, Learning Photoshop n 2 days is the equivalent of trying to swallow the sea,

I've been using PS 10+ yrs and one is always learning, all you will get in 2 days is an overview of what you can do!
    Now that's credible.
    I've been using photoshop since 1994 and I've never been to any kind of training course.

I'd recommend that you teach yourself, led by a book or a series of books, and spend a few hours a day playing with photoshop to get the gist of it.

IMO, it's important that you teach yourself, because there are always more effects / filters / ways of doing things, and unless you have an attitude of exploration and self reliance, down the road you might need to go to another course.
    I've been at it for about the same and agree with you almost entirely about the self-teaching which is miles more valuable than any piece of paper or training. However it is important to add at least a few books or a course or two as with PhotoShop being so huge, it is so easy to pick up bad, inefficient or miss techniques. I did Deke's course about two years ago initially for CS3's new stuff but it was also a big eye opener for things I'd missed or did badly or inefficiently. My PhotoShop skills took a big jump as a result.

All learning regardless of the source is good,
    Nearly €600 is ok if a company is sponsoring it, written off as an expense for them, but for an individual trying to get on, on their own, I would have reservations. In this climate I think for 6 bar you would probably get an unemployed designer who would let you move in with them for a week and give lessons 24/7 with Bed and breakfast included!

tommycahir wrote: »
    Hi All

Regards
    Tommy

Hi Tommy,

I have done two courses with this crowd and found both to be very good. It is expensive so if you can get work to pay for it, other wise there are many cheaper alternatives out there. I know Design Ireland used to run subsidized courses. (don't know whats happened to them now though?)

I highly recommend doing a course to get you started off as it will show you what photoshop is capable of and will give you a good grounding in the basics, the rest you can pick up from on line tutorials, books and forums.

If you can't afford the course get a good book and go through it chapter by chapter and get some on line tutorials on the parts you need help with and then take it from there!

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

This is very true. A good grounding course is optional (if you can afford it), but self-study is necessary. Seeing how many Lynda.com classes and books you can buy for the price of a 3-day course I'd absolutely opt for the former. Much better value AND teaches you good habits from the start.

Advertisement