Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Military Photo Thread (Discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭whydave

whydave wrote: »
    3096dz5.jpg
    Chief Warrant Officer 2 Josh Robertson, from Deming N.M., a tactical operations officer with in Task Force Attack, 1st Air Cavalry Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, operates the Re-configurable Training Device, a flight simulator, at the Seneff
    Aviation Warfighting Simulation Center, April 5.
    Specsavers !!!!
    f1cCof.jpg
    Mohamed, 10, stands guard at the frontline along the western entrance of Ajdabiyah April 13, 2011. Mohamed's rebel fighter father earlier had given him a rifle and asked him to replace him in his duties.
    great another Child soldiers that's just what an other African country needs ! :(
    want to know more ***

800xu.jpg
    Want one !!!!!

a27bf1fa.jpg
    looks like a PSP to me !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

a27bf1fa.jpg
    Dude.... This is Definitely NOT where we parked our car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

ac0e14f2.jpg
    Polish soldiers wait for further instructions during a cordon and search operation in Sangar, Afghanistan, April 2, 2011.

Deleted scenes available on the upcoming Starwars blu-ray release include many from Mos Eisley such as "Poles in space; these aren't the insurgents we're looking for".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Firekitten wrote: »
    Dude.... This is Definitely NOT where we parked our car...

So ... you don't salute in the field, wear subdued insignia ... but then wander around reading a map looking like you've just arrived from your college ROTC meeting ... in Afghanistan.
    I'd say where that butter bar parked his car is the least of his worries! :D

Common misconception... On patrol, the pointman gets a map :P That way you kill two birds with one stone... A, he gets shot being mistaken for the officer, and b, (less important) he doesnt get you lost!

Even more reason why it sucks to be first in the army ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

"Never be First, Never be Last and never ever volunteer..............."

Universal rule in any branch of any military:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

Common misconception... On patrol, the pointman gets a map :P That way you kill two birds with one stone... A, he gets shot being mistaken for the officer, and b, (less important) he doesnt get you lost!

Only in this case the guy with the map / PSP is the officer. And wouldn't it make more sense if the pointman / scout only concerned himself with making sure the area ahead was clear of danger, leaving the navigation to the officer* placed further back in the patrol.

* I say officer, but mean NCO as we all know ruperts can't navigate :D

The thing that really stikes me in the photo is how chilled out and relaxed they seem. Even the most inept talab would see them as a soft / easy target

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

The thing that really stikes me in the photo is how chilled out and relaxed they seem. Even the most inept talab would see them as a soft / easy target

i would say they would be in for a surprise

how do you think they should look :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

When did that change? Patrol commander was always in charge of Nav.
    Point man made sure way ahead was ok and TEC checked the rear.
    Bods in the middle looked at their own sectors.

Doesn't matter if the guy is or isn't an officer. To be honest, I didn't look. Yes, patrol commander will navigate, however, that doesn't change the simple fact that the Point man, does indeed have a map.

Night patrols for example, you'll be on silent running, and with the distance a patrol may cover in formation, the point man does have to make sure he knows which way leads to tescos, and which one to the local taliban tree house.

As for looking relaxed.... Thats probably not the front of the patrol, hes probably got bods ahead and around, and they are further away from known areas of threat.
    Frankly, i Dont know, but we can all throw theories about as to why they arent at full 100% alert as the United states of paranoia's military seems to love to do. (I think someone puts meth in thier coffee) (again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

Puding wrote: »
    i would say they would be in for a surprise

how do you think they should look :)

A bit more 'switched on'. Once outside the security of their base everywhere should be concidered bandit country.

A 10yr throwing a genade over the wall to the right would take at least 2 of the guys in the photo out.

They don't look that relaxed... everyone has a weapon in thier hands bar the map reader... Do you expect them at high ready all the time? One doen't have to look it to be aware and ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

A bit more 'switched on'. Once outside the security of their base everywhere should be concidered bandit country.

A 10yr throwing a grenade over the wall to the right would take at least 2 of the guys in the photo out.

or a suicide bomber on a bike could go past or they could go over an ied, the realty of this type of conflict is that in the end it normally comes down to guy on the ground walking around until someone starts shooting at them, once the enemy has shown there hand you can then engage with overwhelming force

the photo is a snap shot in time, drawing conclusion on the professionalism of those involved on an airsoft forum is just stupid, we have no idea the area there in and the details of the operation, there could be a number of friendly squads in the immediate area for example, the camera man is also not going to be at he front of the patrol

in reality they are switched on and professional and confident in the job there doing

To be fair, the fastest way to find the taliban, from what I've heard from friends over there, is to walk, till shot at, as Puding said. Once shot at, you can shoot back.

The difference is, they thankfully cant shoot so well, and nearly exlusively miss with the first rounds. It doesnt pay to be 'too' alert at all times, you start to see things, and tire... Tire out, and you wont have it when you need it. Its easy enough for the guys out there that are experienced to switch it on when needed. Too highly strung ends up in Psych wards filling up, and people wearing out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

bit more 'switched on'. Once outside the security of their base everywhere should be concidered bandit country.

There are four soldiers in that picture. Outside of the one guy checking the map, how many of them do not look like they're scanning for threats?

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Spooky-Vinny

Actualy the camera man is first :)
    xXx

hes not first :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

A 10yr throwing a genade over the wall to the right would take at least 2 of the guys in the photo out.

What does "switched on" look like exactly?

Every one of them bar the lad with the map has a weapon ready to acquire a target, the 3 lads are all scanning to their right.

As for the wall, well bar knocking it down or being able to see through it... It's just part of the nature of the beast. Not all the ground you cover will be tactically ideal.

Adding into the fact we don't know how close to friendly lines they are, along with the fact they're most likely travelling in at least a platoon, it almost definitely isn't their first patrol and they would personally be more than capable of reading the situation as they patrol... I reckon they're more than switched on enough.

• Advertisement

I think, airsofters think, if you aren't moving like you're in the movie SWAT or something, you aren't paying attention.

I will have them know, that at every single moment... Every second of every day when in the field... Every soldier, from any armed service all over the world, is always paying attention, always alert, always scanning, for the perfect spot to stop and get a brew on.

Its serious business war.

800xsn.jpg

wrong Javelin , should have been a FGM-148

wrong Javelin , should have been a FGM-148
    I think hes taking a leaf out of Rambo's explosive arrow book... The antit tank spear... Its why the Zulus did so well at Rourke's drift... Pe4 tipped spears. Everyone knows that.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mcgnie

what tank is that in the background?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

mcgnie wrote: »
    what tank is that in the background?

T-55 me thinks. But im not a tank expert ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mcgnie

facebook even afghan commandos are on it

With the forward opening crew hatches, I'd wager T-55... But Moran is our Tank Anorak, I'm sure he'd be able to tell for certain.

Who fancies packing a Lybian 'loadout' for senny? take some photos infront of the charred T-55 on the site attacking it with an arangement of kitchen utensils and can openers? Be good giggles for posting on milphotos... they might belive it ><

With the forward opening crew hatches, I'd wager T-55... But Moran is our Tank Anorak, I'm sure he'd be able to tell for certain.

Your wager would be incorrect. It's a T-72. (Turret profile alone gives it away, but the snorkel tube on the left turret helps, as does the reversed AA gun and the position of the smoke grenade launchers). Most all Soviet-era tank hatches open forward. The idea is that it provides some protection for the tankers as they stand up.

Me in T-72.
    DSC_0386.jpg

That said, it's also of questionable utility as Soviet doctrine was that tankers fight buttoned up, so really it was just for protection against surprises as the tankers are exposed to maneuver the tank in supposedly secure, close terrain.

NTM

1256634493fxxrdjsxl.jpg

Sometimes I love the US Army. Most competitions, when you win, you get a trophy. In the US, you can win firearms.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

19768798.jpg

Clearly no height restrictions in the ANA.

800xkt.jpg
    250px-Two_dancers.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Why Dave?
    Why?!!???

Why Dave?
    Why?!!???
    Cause no Mod has told me to stop !!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

800xb.jpg

Now that's something I'd love to drive.

• Advertisement

auscam wrote: »
    20060718adf8243116_247_lo.jpg

Dustbin on top, boofer below, torch on the side. That must be one heavy bastard.
    20091129adf8115142_058.jpg

Looks like they got at least some brown F88s made.

Dave, why are you posting pictures of blind firing? Why, Dave, why? :)

OzCam wrote: »
    Dave, why are you posting pictures of blind firing? Why, Dave, why? :)
    Because its not against the rules of the safety brief in real war.

Why, Dave, why? :)
    for you !

f6e2180e.jpg

Why Dave?
    Why?!!???
    Why, Dave, why? :)
    Cause no Mod has told me to stop !!!!! :D

what he said ! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

19768798.jpg

Clearly no height restrictions in the ANA.

ill explain one last time, really big........ close........ really small....... far away.................

thermo wrote: »
    ill explain one last time, really big........ close........ really small....... far away.................
    Look at the sizes of his pouches. He really is that small.

Look at the sizes of his pouches. He really is that small.

nooooooooo............... he had pouches custom made twice the regular size to make him appear small. cunning tactic really :D

Good job your not a sniper, your observation-fu is weak dear boy... You'd have misjudged your range and fired over his head :pac::pac:

Good job your not a sniper, your observation-fu is weak dear boy... You'd have misjudged your range and fired over his head :pac::pac:

not if you aim at his knee's................ :D
    any way if you shot him who would willie wonka have to make the chocolate nevermind :p

knee capping a guy that short is just plain cruel...

He'd be perfect for our invention at CC3... Attack Midget in a Bag. (christened by Conor)

Shake bag, throw into building. Midget pops out very pissed, and destroys everything in sight. (Still in test phase, recovery problematic)

did you not see family guy? the midget assasin that hides in the airbag of the targets car, he bursts out and chokes the target?

anywho we may get back on topic before a mod comes along

I do not watch the family guy...

On topic:
    DSC_0098.jpg
    Firekitten recently deployed to Lybia by Nato to take over from Chuck Norris, the SAS, and the Spice Girls in the latest round of Tankhunting outside Misrata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Attack Midget in a Bag. (christened by Conor)

Shake bag, throw into building. Midget pops out very pissed, and destroys everything in sight. (Still in test phase, recovery problematic)

Already created thermo has done it just i pop out and blast everything :P

foto31y.jpg
    SA 80 !!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement