Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Military Photo Thread (Discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

What about the m1 paratrooper version lying above the Thompson in the red square? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Firekitten wrote: »
    What about the m1 paratrooper version lying above the Thompson in the red square? :D

That's what i was looking at :eek: Where did that come from?

Same place as the thompson and the other illegal assault weaponry lol. Plenty of m1s and paras in the us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Spooky-Vinny

Is that a m1 carbine?
    xXx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Same place as the thompson and the other illegal assault weaponry lol. Plenty of m1s and paras in the us.

More likely they were foreign military sales or aid to South or Central American militaries. It's where the cartels get most of their weapons.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭whydave

whydave wrote: »
    141c8f0f.jpg

Because one AUG is never enough !!!

Who ate all the shrimps on the barbie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

molle gear can be very fattening you know :p

plus the camera always add 20 pounds like they say.

99839371.jpg
    You think your saw is better than my sythe? We'll see about that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

CpcRc wrote: »
    plus the camera always add 20 pounds like they say.

How many cameras are on him?

• Advertisement

Interesting Marine in the last shot... Blanks in a war zone? and with no Bfa? they won't work very well :P

56306147870f7ce293c0b.jpg
    ^^
    Was ist das?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Because one AUG is never enough !!!

Meh. He's Air Force, they never get enough exercise on the ground anyway.

Yup. That yellow and black striped mag is a special blank mag. Its crimped off at the front, so live rounds can physically not be loaded, only blanks (only as long as the casing ish)

So why hes rocking party poppers in the 'stan is beyond me, especially as him and his buddies seem to be tooling up for a patrol.

swiftblade wrote: »
    56306147870f7ce293c0b.jpg
    ^^
    Was ist das?

It's a Vallon mine detector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

To be fair the mag looks photoshopped, if you look closely you can see that the yellow of the mag, extends past the mag well, or is that just me?

Leftyflip wrote: »
    To be fair the mag looks photoshopped, if you look closely you can see that the yellow of the mag, extends past the mag well, or is that just me?

Bit of an odd thing for someone to shop. Still it's possible, or maybe they just ran out of regular mags?

Its not photoshopped.
    The bit that extends forward, is a small yellow plastic tab that must be slid to load rounds. (blank)

They cant use them instead of live mags, the blank magazine is specifically designed to not allow loading of live rounds as I said, a safety measure to prevent accidental shootings on exersise. (I did just say this)

that bootie is firing blankies, for some unknown reason. Either hes planning to scare the taliban into submission, which is possible for a marine, or hes going cornish nasty hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

Yup. That yellow and black striped mag is a special blank mag. Its crimped off at the front, so live rounds can physically not be loaded, only blanks (only as long as the casing ish)

So why hes rocking party poppers in the 'stan is beyond me, especially as him and his buddies seem to be tooling up for a patrol.

You sure thats A-stan? The compound looks a bit too clean and new to me, maybe a training area in the UK/US/Saudi? Anyway can't you stick 2-3 live rounds in the yellow pack mags, or was that just the old ones?

It could be... but it would be somewhere arabian, that sky isnt the uk... nor is the terrain, even the mods new mos esiley Obua center. The kit looks clean, but hes got his isaf patch on, so its likely in theatre, but recently there... why hes posing tactically with bods in the background i Dont know, but hes not in jolly old England.

The mags dont allow any lives in iirc. Ivce never managed to fit one.... but ive never tried to be honest. It might, but 2-3 isnt going to be something you give to even a Marine in afganistan... plus new issues are E-mags... and they'd have em. So likely its blanks.... which is still confusing, as they wouldnt be doing 'training' out of blighty... odd, unless its part of a training ANA routine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

i remember seeing the pictures on militaryphotos.net but can remember in which thread,

there are a lot of training centers inside the large camps in Afghanistan with small fibua villages, more than likely doing some in country training before going onto onto other locations in the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Puding wrote: »
    i remember seeing the pictures on militaryphotos.net but can remember in which thread,

there are a lot of training centers inside the large camps in Afghanistan with small fibua villages, more than likely doing some in country training before going onto onto other locations in the country

It looks like a staged shot, which to my mind says "discount any details you see".

TBH the most likely reason for the yellow pack and no blank fire module is that the shot was staged for publicity or records and the snapper told the soldier to remove the module because civvies find them confusing (and they can be a ****ing nightmare to remove in photoshop - trust me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

Sorry was talking just about the photo of the Commando taking a knee - Overcast sky is overcast - the camera always lies. Probably is in theater, and the fact that its an official photo shoot (I'd imagine) everyone had a wash and the swept up before hand! I'm a bit surprised the doesn't have a BFA on the front, but maybe they don't have one that will work on the surefire flash hiders.

Edit OR What Hivemind said! Ya posted while I was brewing up!

What magazine do the british use when firing simunitions? That could explain the training mag and lack of BFA.

NTM

don't think we do fire simunitions.... atleast its not a practice ive ever heard of.

You should. There's quite an incentive to not getting shot. At least, after the first impact.

NTM

Should, and will the MOD get it? another matter. I've heard a rumour on our grapevine of the mod buying a ton of ares sa80s actually... NOT sticking to the legal limits too apparently (2j is the number I heard)
    As I said, (this forum loves to qualify anything atm) this is rumour.

the mod buying a ton of ares sa80s actually... NOT sticking to the legal limits too apparently (2j is the number I heard)

Can you prove this !!!! :p:p:p:p;):p:p:p:p;)
    David

Can you prove this !!!! :p:p:p:p;):p:p:p:p;)
    David
    Yup.

I'll be back later, im off to break into the ministry of defence, hack the defence aquisitions budget files.

I'll either be back in 60 minutes, or 60 years, depending on my varying sucess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Spooky-Vinny

sofwardogs3.jpg
    Whats on that doggies back?
    xXx

Whats on that doggies back?
    xXx

IR light probably. :)

remarks from the photo
    It's not the gear that makes the dog: Military working dogs (MWDs in Army parlance) may not enjoy all the privileges of being full-fledged soldiers, but the U.S. military no longer considers them mere equipment. (The war dogs deployed to Vietnam during that conflict were classified as "surplus equipment" and left behind.) Today, MWDs are outfitted with equipment of their own -- a range of specialized gear that includes Doggles (protective eye wear), body armor, life vests, gas masks, long-range GPS-equipped vests, and high-tech canine "flak jackets."

i believe is an adjustable light and camera for the operator

[IMG][/img]164.jpg
    Lebanese Airborne Regiment snipers

I see you !!!!

Jebus, those Lybians are like the sodding A team... Making an army out of bits of scrap metal...

As for that captured 'Lybian' FN2000... :S Ugl and silencer? thats a nice prize for some sneaky lybian.

As for that captured 'Lybian' FN2000... :S Ugl and silencer? thats a nice prize
    s_r25_RTR2NE85.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap.

Want...

Sam Fisher's latest trip to Libya goes a bit wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

well they do have nearly 400 of them along with P90's from a 08 order
    Nice change from the AK id say :D

2-2190.jpg
    Thai police commando units stand guard in front of piles of confiscated narcotics before they are destroyed marking the UN's International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking in Ayutthaya province on June 24, 2011. More than 2,400 kilograms of confiscated narcotics including methaphetamine, heroin, opium, cocaine and psychotropic substances with an estimated value of 7,400 million baht (242 million USD) were to be burnt.

No wonder they're standing so close... if that stuff gets burned, those guys are going to have a serious party...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

No wonder they're standing so close... if that stuff gets burned, those guys are going to have a serious party...

There's video footage (about a decade old now maybe) of a news reporter - I think somewhere in Eastern Europe or Russia - reporting from the burning of a massive cache of marijuana (we're talking bales of the stuff) in a field by whatever government it was. And you can see from the news report clips; the reporter getting more and more incoherent and in the end is reduced to giggling fits as they have no mask protecting them from the "fumes".

• Advertisement

419379.jpg
    U.S. Navy F-18C Hornets with the “Fighting Omars” of the Fighter Squadron Composite (VFC) 12 from Naval Air Station Oceana, Virginia Beach, Va., receive in-flight refueling from the Marine Aerial Transport Squadron (VMGR) 452, Stewart Air National Guard Base, N.Y., during the Northern Edge Premier Joint Training Exercise at the Joint Alaska Range Complex, June 21. Planning for NE11 began in August of 2010 with exercise experts and planners throughout U.S. Pacific Command and the continental United States

bit of an odd one, russian camo pattern and red star with us marking on the cockpit? someone playing with photoshop...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Horse84

Puding wrote: »
    bit of an odd one, russian camo pattern and red star with us marking on the cockpit? someone playing with photoshop...

they're mostly likely from an aggressor squadron to provide DACT training for fleet squadons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFC-12
    Fighter Squadron Composite Twelve (VFC-12) is a US Navy Reserve fighter squadron based at NAS Oceana, providing adversary training to East Coast air wings. VFC-12 reports to Commander Tactical Support Wing, a component of Commander, Naval Air Reserve Force (COMNAVAIRESFOR). The "Fighting Omars" represent NAS Oceana's only Naval Reserve squadron, and is manned by selected reservists, full time reservists (FTS) and active duty personnel. The squadron's radio callsign is "Ambush" and their tailcode is AF. Squadron aircraft wear a unique adversary blue camouflage paint scheme.

...and possibly a good thing for their students that the SuperBug is so shortlegged and slow. If they were flying Sukhoi 27s or 35s they could make things almost impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

So sad to see the Big E comeing to the end of its life,shes slated for retirement in 2013, when she will have served for 51 consecutive years.
    There is a petition for the next carrier to be named as the ninth USS Enterprise.

4bb8f494.jpg
    The Navy's oldest aircraft carrier, USS Enterprise (right), passes the Navy's newest aircraft carrier, USS George H.W. Bush, during a transit of the Strait of Bab el Mandeb. George H.W. Bush arrives in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility to take over operations for Enterprise.

i would put money on them keeping them name doing tbh, the name carry s such history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭r0n0c

Lemming wrote: »
    There's video footage (about a decade old now maybe) of a news reporter - I think somewhere in Eastern Europe or Russia - reporting from the burning of a massive cache of marijuana (we're talking bales of the stuff) in a field by whatever government it was. And you can see from the news report clips; the reporter getting more and more incoherent and in the end is reduced to giggling fits as they have no mask protecting them from the "fumes".

Here it is.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9keQMXSpHs

005c5a5f.jpg

Have to say I love this picture !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Whydave, you say long range snipers. I say drop shorts.

22686165.jpg
    Class !!!!

Have to say I love this picture !

Really, what's the point? The helo can't fly fast/high enough for the security of a fixed-wing drop, and the thing is able to hover for fast-rope or just set down most anywhere it wants to for the lads inside to get out.

Other than the fact that helos are inherently un-airworthy and it may be safer to jump out rather than wait for it to crash.
    418073.jpg
    MARINE CORPS AIR GROUND COMBAT CENTER TWENTYNINE PALMS, Calif. - A U.S. Marine M1 Abrams tank attached to 1st Battalion 6th Marines defends its position for the Clear Hold Build 3 exercise in support of Regimental Combat Team 5 during Enhanced Mojave Viper here June 14. As the first regimental combat team to participate in EMV, RCT-5 will fine tune its command and control capabilities during this combined arms exercise.

Yeeeeah... I don't think so. Looks to me that it's in the maintenance area and by the towbar attached to it, not going anywhere any time soon. And neither is the towing vehicle, given they've broken track. And let's not discuss the merits of a defensive position where your ass is to the enemy.

NTM

• Advertisement
Advertisement