Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Military Photo Thread (Discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Other than the fact that helos are inherently un-airworthy and it may be safer to jump out rather than wait for it to crash.

LOL
    And let's not discuss the merits of a defensive position where your ass is to the enemy.

All the faster to drive away, m'dear. Oh, sorry, it's the Marines; Retreat "Attack to the rear"...
    We know you'd never contemplate such a thing, of course :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Baptise a dog? :confused: I thought they believed dogs didn't have souls? Anyway...

Didn't know they used Rothweilers as service dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Helos arent that un airworthy... even if your engines go, you can auto rotate it down to a safe landing...standard training.

Dogs... cute puppies!

tanks... well they are yanks, it could well be a defensive position where the thing died, and the recovery chaps got fubar'd too. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭whydave

whydave wrote: »
    201107141105131440x8031.jpg
    Austrian Military dogs Rottweiler puppies Mister, Mike, Mara and Mary.
    So was it Mister, Mike, Mara or Mary who knows how to deal with politicians ! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Firekitten wrote: »
    Helos arent that un airworthy... even if your engines go, you can auto rotate it down to a safe landing...standard training.

Auto-rotation is more of a somewhat-restrained crash in a generally downward direction. I've something of an 9:1 glide ratio in my Cessna and can pretty much control where it is I'm going to go down.

However, the comment is more a reflection of good-natured ribbing from the fixed-wing world to the rotorheads. The choppers beat walking.

NTM

Oh naturally, I'd prefer 9:1 over um... 0.5:1 (at best) but its survivable... anything you walk away from right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

@ whydave, why do the names all have the strikethrough effect?

it's to do with the other website he robs borrows the images/text from. :p Its html coding is different to boards, such that a strike through may mean bold on the other site :)

It's done to 'protect' the identification of the servicemen and woman,I stop if you want !
    David

• Advertisement

It's done to 'protect' the identification of the servicemen and woman,I stop if you want !
    David

Really? Crap, sorry I got that wrong. :o

you fail miserably on that count then ;)

Funny how you started doing this after you got slapped for posting a 'dodgy' opsec photo.

I don't know how it comes up on your computer, but you do realise that for the rest of us, we can read all the names, they just have a line through 'em, right?

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I don't know how it comes up on your computer, but you do realise that for the rest of us, we can read all the names, they just have a line through 'em, right?

NTM

Indeed; if one were serious about protecting identities, you'd remove the names period.

As an aside; having administered, carried out development work on, and/or used a variety of different web-based discussion fora products over the years, I have yet to encounter one that has any sort of 'redact' feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Funny how you started doing this after you got slapped for posting a 'dodgy' opsec photo.

Oh crawl back in your box - just drop it, please, before we've another shítstorm.*

*Friendly advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

/get popcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭DICEMAN7

which i may add was never given a mod ruling

Because you don't see, a ruling, doesnt mean one hasn't occured.

Lefty: beating around the bush is rather droll at times.

dedd7434.jpg
    35b34f92.jpg

Is there a standard issue of combat glove in the US Army or USMC ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭DICEMAN7

Because you don't see, a ruling, doesnt mean one hasn't occured.

Lefty: beating around the bush is rather droll at times.
    well if one has been offered i expect one to be offeredOriginally Posted by Steve
    That matter has been passed to a higher power than me at this point so I can't really comment till I hear back.
    As regards lefty's post - someone reported it earlier, I requested that another mod deal with it so I couldn't be accused of hypocrisy. Nobody replied to that (cos nobody was online I guess) so it's now removed as well (by me).

Is there a standard issue of combat glove in the US Army or USMC ?

Only ones designed for cold weather or fire protection. In the summer I always wear Nomex, in the winter, something thicker, but always Army issue.

NTM

• Advertisement

66470838.jpg
    U.S. Marines Lance Cpl. Gregory Rogers, 23, of Charleston S.C. , left, and Pfc. Joseph Lipton, 19, of Somers, Conn. , with the 3rd Battalion 2nd Marines based in Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    Shoplifters pictured and named in a new 'name and shame' Campaign ! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭darman28

I have to say I have enjoyed the photo thread over the past few months and thanks and fair play to those who are always putting up the photos.Keep them coming please, love the Irish army ones :D:D

Any backstory to that Irish army pic? I thought the Irish army never used mines :confused: Or maybe they're training in the defusal of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭birdman 1979

Havent seen that pic in years. I just noticed, the guy behind the mine, is rocking a mp5? or hk33? Hmmm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

swiftblade wrote: »
    Any backstory to that Irish army pic? I thought the Irish army never used mines :confused: Or maybe they're training in the defusal of it?

As along as it is controlled by remote detonation and not just motion im guessing??

Victim-activated mines are now internationally banned under the Ottawa Treaty, but command-activated ones are still allowed.

The FFV013 is used in Sweden, so I'm guessing this photo is from the PDF unit attached to the Nordic Battlegroup.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 frostbite

The photo predates the irish involvement in the NBG. I remember seeing it in 2003 so it couldnt be members of the Battle Group

46640422.jpg
    9mm tavor !!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

9mm tavor !!!!!!

Pfft. Ain't no thang. Here's what a few shekels and knowing the right dudes in Israel gets you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Pfft. Ain't no thang. Here's what a few shekels and knowing the right dudes in Israel gets you.

I am mind meltingly envious of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I am mind meltingly envious of that.

All I had to do was try not to look too much like a n00b, as it was in a PMC training compound somewhere north of Haifa in the middle of nowhere, and a load of lads were bare-knuckle knocking the **** out of each other one lane over :-)

That and not **** around and pull of mad val kilmer reloads so the guy standing over me in the video didn't decide to lob me over a wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

ejcimagen99640642.jpg

ejcgaula1000304prueba.jpg

QUOTE]

Galil ACE - first time I've seen the Columbian modernized version of the Galil - I like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

OzCam wrote: »
    Victim-activated mines are now internationally banned under the Ottawa Treaty, but command-activated ones are still allowed.

The FFV013 is used in Sweden, so I'm guessing this photo is from the PDF unit attached to the Nordic Battlegroup.

AFAIK, we use mines in a command detonation role, which is why it's legal.

As for the pic, it was taken long before we got involved with the NBG. As you can tell from the weapons, it involves the lads who wear dark green berets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

Some serious posing going on in them Rangers pics :D

4-7.jpg
    If you see this your day just went down the sh*tter !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭gungun

Were'd he get a tavor? :confused:
    3086430369_220d36fdd0_o.jpg

gungun wrote: »
    Were'd he get a tavor? :confused:

here !!!anything for cash ! And he has boots !!!!!

ffaadesfile3.jpg

Seriously, what's the point?

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

In the pictures of the Columbian Independence parade are the M16s very worn looking A4s or A2s/A3s with after-market upper receivers?

• Advertisement

[Blue & black face paint]

Seriously, what's the point?

Theatre, maybe?

Or, as Thermo would say, "because she can". :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

9mm tavor !!!!!!

its the x95 smg,nice bit of kit allright

47373ace.jpg
    01082011727.jpg
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

Thermo, sometimes just because you can..............doesn't mean you should :D

Puding wrote: »

Chris, great link :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭Thehandviolent

Mannnn.... the soldier third from the left at the front row is cool as ****. Mp5 and a stogie. Legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

4c43be70.jpg
    Air Force Staff Sgt. Timothy Husketh, vehicle maintainer attached to Laghman Provincial Reconstruction Team, fires his M-4 rifle at targets while practicing at the off-base firing range near Forward Operating Base Mehtar Lam Aug. 6.
    676e9162.jpg
    Air Force Master Sgt. Jeffery Needham.
    Have the USAF switched to MTP (I've seen photos of Para-Rescue Jumpers wearing it but they're an exception) too or are these guys attached to an Army unit and don't want to stand out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Evade wrote: »
    Have the USAF switched to MTP (I've seen photos of Para-Rescue Jumpers wearing it but they're an exception) too or are these guys attached to an Army unit and don't want to stand out?

I'm pretty sure they wear ABUs on base but in the field they are authorised to wear something more suitable. the guy above is attached to a reconstruction team so I would assume he would wear an appropriate uniform for that duty. this article mentions something similiar.

PJs and CCTs would be in the field more often so would wear more appropriate uniforms like the one above. actually you could find that both these guys are combat controllers

No, it's MultiCam, officially renamed OCP for Afghanistan. The USAF have authorised it for wear on ground ops there so they can fit in with the Joes.

Only the British Army will be wearing MTP, they've copyrighted it for exactly that purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Ah if only i could get my hands on a VSS :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

5d1eb370f45c8c11f50e6a7.jpg
    A part of a gun stamped "Made in Germany" is seen among the wreckage of Chinook helicopter shot down last week at Tangi Valley in Wardak province some 60 miles (97 kilometers) southwest of Kabul, Afghanistan, Thursday, Aug. 11, 2011.

I'm just back from hols in the US and this was big news over there, probably because of the number of SF personnel lost in the engagement.

For those who aren't aware some US SF groups use the HK416 in preference to standard US-built 5.56 weapons. A variant of the HK416 is also currently being deployed as part of the IAR programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Decoy wrote: »
    For those who aren't aware some US SF groups use the HK416 in preference to standard US-built 5.56 weapons. A variant of the HK416 is also currently being deployed as part of the IAR programme.

Also being used by the Marines as the M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle - basically a 416 with a heavier barrel and a few other mods to make automatic fire safer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M27_Infantry_Automatic_Rifle

• Advertisement
Advertisement